Photo of the Day
York
Yesterday
York
Yesterday
Christmas is coming,
The geese are getting fat,
Please put a penny
In the old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny,
A ha'penny will do,
If you haven't got a ha'penny,
Then God bless you.
The music to Christmas is Coming was composed by Edith Nesbit Bland in the late nineteenth century. The author of the lyrics is unknown but the popularity of this traditional Christmas song is handed down from generation to generation in the form of a nursery rhyme. The words of Christmas is coming reflects the Christmas festival of celebration of being a time of plenty but that charity should be given to the less fortunate according to the giver's means!
It's official! Christmas is on its way!
We received our first Christmas Card this morning, so it is time to start the preparations and plans for the festive season....as somebody once said "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail!" and we don't want that now do we!
Yesterday saw me making my way to York, to meet up with Julie.
I travelled by train, which I always enjoy.
Jon took me to Saltburn Station where I caught the 10am train, changing at Darlington for York.
The ticket conductor said I could buy a saver ticket for half the normal price.
However by doing so and changing at Middlesbrough it would mean I would have to use the same service on the return journey, whereas the ticket I would buy would allow me to travel on any route, so I went with my original choice.
When the train pulled in at Darlington there was all ready a train in Platform 1, so I ran to the platform, had a quick glance to see it would be stopping at York, and jumped on.
At York I did my power walk up to the Minster and Julie and I met up and headed round the centre.
We came across a craft fayre which was celebrating Yorkshire crafts and industries.
We spent some time there before finding a place for lunch.
After lunch we did some more browsing through the markets and made our way up to the coach and train station.
We said our goodbyes and Julie made her way to the coach.
I entered the train station, about 4pm to find the train for home, platform 11 was not due until 4.26.
I settled down with a cup of tea, the worst I have had in a while, when the announcement came over the tannoy that the train ABOUT to leave platform 5 would be stopping at Darlington.
Up I shot and ran up the stairs and made my way to platform 5.
I jumped onto the train and the doors shut behind me....we were off!
I settled down to read the lovely book Julie had given me and was so engrossed that when I looked up I saw the lights of Darlington Station!
The train pulled in and as I stepped off the train I noticed some of the passengers were running in the direction of the Saltburn train! I joined in and sure enough there was the train at the platform.
Once again I jumped on the train just as the whistle was being blown and the doors closed and the train pulled away from the station.
I fell asleep!
The next thing I knew a lady was waking me up, we had arrived at Saltburn Station and I could see Jon standing on the platform!
What a good job the train ended it's journey at Saltburn! Who knows where I would have ended up!
I had been so lucky to be at the right place at the right time and catch the trains without any waiting at all!
How lucky was that!
Today I am continuing with my DIY hoping it will be the last day of the wood stripping.
I am keen to get the woodwork varnished so that we will be ready to prime, fill and gloss!
Back Soon!
Quote for the Day...
"The important piece of luggage is and remains, a joyful heart"
Herman Lons
"The important piece of luggage is and remains, a joyful heart"
Herman Lons
from my new book, "Wisdom" by D & N Mehra.
Thank you Julie, I will treasure this.
Thank you Julie, I will treasure this.
12 comments:
And after you finally strip that wood, then you will be able to strip yourself for a nice relaxing, soothing bath, Denise.
What a lot of work you've done. I too would fall asleep whenever and wherever I could.
I'm getting worried, you really are into stripping!!! (Dying to see the results when it is all done, I admire you, I've done some of it too and it is JOLLY HARD WORK!!!)
Hahahahahaha, good photo mrs Nesbitt hahahaha.
2 demented loose women - haha.
Glad you both had a great time.
Dont forget to sign-up for my giveaway.
Hmmmmmmmm! Not sure about the photo Denise!!! lol I don't think you caught my best side!
All this talk of a stripper had me completely interested!!! Only to find that it's wood stripper. Guess I should get my mind back on the right track!!
I love your blog title picture. Perfect for the Christmas season.
Hello Denise on a warm December day
York Minster is my favourite cathedral in UK. I have family in East Retford so DH and I always pay a visit to York when we are visiting the rellies
From memory I thought everyone had to change at the infamous Crewe:))
Cathy
With all that running, jumping, and sleeping you were doing it's a wonder Jon ever saw you again!
Denise, you have such a talent to make an interesting post out of a simple thing like catching a train. Super job...I was exhausted reading about all the jumping and leaping for the next train.
Happy stripping.
Stripping furniture used to be a hobby of mine. It was a always really satisfying to see the wood as the craftsman might have seen it. Always, it seems like a simple task in retrospect but never at the time!
God bless you and your work.
How you can do all those things, take the pictures and manage the blog and so on and on and on I can't imagine.
Impressive!
Dear Annie:
Last night a saw a product on QVC.com
call Smart Strip, removes 15 layers of paint. You can see by going to QVC.com and putting in
V27102 in the search area.
This may save you lots of time on your next stripping project
Steve
Post a Comment