2.12.07

BYB Sunday.....Advent 1

Photo a Day
St. Michael's Church,
this morning.



excerpt from Advent 1955 by John Betjeman

...Some ways indeed are very odd
By which we hail the birth of God.

We raise the price of things in shops,
We give plain boxes fancy tops
And lines which traders cannot sell
Thus parcell'd go extremely well
We dole out bribes we call a present
To those to whom we must be pleasant
For business reasons. Our defence is
These bribes are charged against expenses
And bring relief in Income Tax
Enough of these unworthy cracks!
'The time draws near the birth of Christ'.
A present that cannot be priced
Given two thousand years ago
Yet if God had not given so
He still would be a distant stranger
And not the Baby in the manger.








It was the first Sunday in Advent today and I went to our village church.
It is only 5 minutes walk from our house and I didn't hang around as it was raining.







I said hello to Alice, our very favourite neighbour.
Alice died last year.
We have many many fond memories of Alice.
We would go in every Christmas and share a bottle of rum.

Remind me to tell you about the incident with the glass of rum and the fireplace! LOL!




Inside, one of the church elders, Jo was ringing the bells.





The church is a beautiful building, of significant historical interest.
This arch takes it back to the Norman time.





The advent colour is Purple.




There are many wonderful windows.
Here are just a couple.




We had visitors in church today.
This couple want to get married in the church next year.




After the service I made my way home.
Walking up the church drive I could see our house in the distance, so you can see how near we are.




The vicar was talking about the hustle and bustle of Christmas, about sorting out what matters and what doesn't.
The commercial versus the spiritual meaning of what it is all about!

I look forward in sharing the approaching Advent Sundays here.
I do hope you enjoyed your visit today!

Advent by Thom M. Shuman

if you came in the spring,
we could expect newness,
bright yellow flowers
to soften your path,
the songs of birds
to herald your coming.

but you came in
winter's despair;
the chill of complacency
settled upon us.

if you came in summer
we could expect you
to be bronzed,
blonde,
stepping from the sea;

but you came
in a stable,
a wrinkled baby

with animals your midwives,
and angels your playmates.

help us to set down
our parcels of expectations
to reach down and scoop
you up in our arms,
your laughing breath
giving us life.

Amen.

20 comments:

imac said...

Nice photos, nice post too.
(love your hat too)


Check out my Symmetrical Post
From a chuch in Manthorpe a village just outside of Grantham.

kuanyin333 said...

Lovely photos as if (to my world) from another space and time! Happy BYB Sunday!

MsDemmie said...

What a beautiful church.

Happy BYB Sunday - have a good week.

Regina Avalos said...

What lovely photos. Thank you for sharing. Happy BYB Sunday.

Catherine said...

What a gorgeous church! I'm glad to see there are other voices blogging about Advent today. I've just posted mine as well,
here. I'm happy to "meet" you!

Marilyn said...

Very nice post. It hardly seems possible that it's already Advent again.

KaiBlue said...

it's nice to get lost in such a gentle world, if only for a little while.
peace, Kai xx

SandyCarlson said...

This is a very beautiful place. Thanks for bringing us inside. God bless.

dot said...

The church is very beautiful. I love those windows!

Annie said...

Denise, I am just thrilled that you took us inside that wonderful little church today. Thank you so much.

photowannabe said...

What a lovely church. The arch from Norman times is magnificent. Thank you for the thoughts on Advent.

Paulie said...

What a blessing to have such a wonderful historical church building! Thanks for the tour. It was indeed a blessing for me to view.

Mike said...

That's a lovely little church. I went to take a photo of a quaint little church a couple of weeks ago. It was dark and the floodlights lit it up beautifully. The only trouble was I got a bit spooked and ran off to the safe haven of my car.

Happyone said...

Hi! I've been enjoying looking at the ABC Wednesday photos and was wondering if I could participate along with you.

Cat said...

This is a beautiful church! We don't have many old old churches here in Utah - especially with crosses!

I was married in a 1925 log church in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming (yes with a cross). I love the old churches.

Thanks for the visit!
Cat

Danna said...

I like your pictures there, and the poems too... I love expressing myself by writing poems..
I like your place, it seems quiet and peaceful....

Kerri Farley said...

Wow - this is beautiful....not only the pictures of the beautiful church but your words on Advent Sunday. Lovely!

Oswegan said...

Wow, that sure is a neat old church.

~Oswegan

Dick said...

Hi Denise.
That's a very beautiful church, I like the windows. Thank you so much for your visit and nice comment. I feel better now but I'm not the old one yet.

Vallen said...

It's just too lovely, the church, the lane, the countryside. You live a charmed life Mrs. Nesbitt.