15.12.07

Countdown!

A photo a Day
15.12.07
View from my study window, 5 minutes ago.





Every year at just this time,
In cold and dark December,
Families around the world
All gather to remember,
With presents and with parties,
With feasting and with fun,
Customs and traditions
for people old and young.

- Helen H. Moore




The view from the study window was aw-inspiring when I came into my study a few minutes ago.
My study has been a hive of activity over the past few days as I have Christmas Card
commissions to complete, only when they are completed do I feel I can focus on our own card designs which for me means the start of our Christmas preparations.

It is ironic, but because my Christmas Card commissions are always full of glitter, textiles and imagination, the designs I come up with for our own are very low-key and simple.

This year, I was listening to the radio, thinking about what I could do.
Handel's Messiah was being played, and the inspiration came too our 2007 card.



For the insert I chose a simple Irish Blessing and used a photograph of one of the windows in church. I do hope you like it.



This week I have been particularly inspired by two fellow blogging friends, Libby and Kai.
On Tuesday I received a beautiful card from Libby.
The amount of work and detail which had gone into the making of the card was quite awesome.
Kai, shared an idea for making a book.
I have some card blanks I wanted to find a use for and set about sewing some together to make a book....
I do not want to say too much here, as blogs have eyes and ears and this is intended as a gift for somebody out there, but here is a sneak preview......
this is the month of June!





As you can see, no holding back with the textures, variety of materials and copious amounts of glitter!

I have really been inspired...Libby's card shone with thoughtfulness and detail, Kai gave me a way of communicating such feelings, when making a gift for somebody special.

The books will be a regular feature now, totally absorbing and a ladder for creativity and originality. I often save my odds and ends from the various commissions I undertake and to be able to dig out a box of "special bits" and create something special is absolutely mind blowing to a person like myself!



So, the Christmas preparations start right now, today.
We have had a busy few days, what with the carpet arrival etc.....yes there will be photographs of the complete project, but whilst i await my prints to be framed, here is a photograph i took yesterday of Elsie....doesn't she go well with the carpet? LOL!





Tomorrow night I will have something very special to share with you.
We will be attending the Carol Service and Reading of Lessons at our local inn.

The Bishop Of Whitby will be leading the service.
We know the bishop quite well, and what a privilege that is.

Last year he wrote a few words for my blog, and I am going to ask him to do the same tomorrow night, so here, in my very own little part of the world wide web I will bring you a few words from the Bishop of Whitby! Now how is that for a Ch
ristmas Treat!

I know we are all preparing for Christmas in our own ways in our own parts of the world, let us not forget the wonderful message of Christmas, and in particular, to remember others who may not be looking forward to this time.

May your hearth be warm, your holidays grand
And your heart held gently in the Good Lord's Hand.


Irish Blessing


16 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

I LOVE the card you made! Simple and Elegant! Wonderful!

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Hav yu red my post abowt wat Bishops hide under their hats? I think yu shud chek it out an arks him abowt it, heheheeehehehe.

Elsie looks very soft!

Is that frost or snow out yor windo?

Hope yu keep warm!

:@}

imac said...

Another good post Mre N.

come and visit theres lots to see.

photowannabe said...

Wonderful Christmas card Denise. That's the message. Straight forward and simple. Thanks for sharing it with us.

i beati said...

Elsie is beautiful and a good dogfriend I can tell sandy

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Very, very, nice post and I love the card, the dog, your thoughts, your words ... However the december nights are dark , your post gives LIGHT in the blogger world, I had to smile while reading your post.

Have a smile, Come and look at my blog and see my serie's of CREATIVE alternative christmas decoration. Have a great weekend!

JoAnn greetings,

CG said...

As usual a heartwarming post. Your book looks lovely and I'll look forward to the Bishop's words!

ChrisJ said...

My husband is a retired pastor and travels to various parts of the world to encourage different small churches in small countries. In the fall, he went to Bulgaria and then had to move on to visit a Gipsy church in Bulgaria. In order to get him across the border one of the church members picked him up and drove him many miles. When they came to the border crossing they were trying to explain to the authorities who he was and what he does, because of course Barry does not speak the language. Finally they came up with this inspiration: "He is the Protestant Pope" they said! And with that the authorities waved him through!

FO - 2 said...

A beautiful view. :)

SandyCarlson said...

Your cards are very beautiful. I'm looking forward to your post, today. We attended a Carols and Lessons sevice at Westover School here in Connecticut yesterday evening. (Historically this school is connected to the Episcopal Church, so there's the connection to your church.) Beautiful and very moving it was to hear the school's 45-member girl glee club sing carols.

By the way, that's a beautiful view from your window. The pinks of the winter sky are gorgeous.

Happy BYB Sunday.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

what a warm post...your spirit shines thru it...live the imagesi hope this finds you well and warm this mornin...blessings, rebecca

Cat said...

"Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace..." Those were the words in the first Christmas card I picked out as a believer a dozen years ago.

Your cards are terrific, your view is cold but pretty, and your dog Elsie is adorable. Oh and I love Irish blessings.

My your Christmas season be holy and blessed!

Petunia's Gardener said...

Isn't it amazing how the right inspiration does come along. Yours are inspired. Love the local church window also.

My cards are quite simple this year. I've been printing and writing them this weekend. Do you print your own or do you have them printed once you have the design? The card stock I use doesn't do so great with some photos, but they are unique. - thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise

What a stunning Yorkshire landscape ~ I am certain you could never tire of looking at it.

Your Christmas card is beautiful and I love June from your new book ~ so summery with the roses. It will make a very thoughtful gift.

Merry Christmas!

Marie x

KaiBlue said...

thats a gorgeous piece of June art there chuck!!

and aweeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. way to melt someones heart..a closeup of Elsie.. It's so nice of you to install new carpet for her for christmas!! lol..

Now, I must go and find my very own bishop to hug...
Merry everything!! Peace, Kai xxx

Miss Robyn said...

uxqnesending love to you, D... hopefully we will get to meet when I come over in a year or two.