4.12.07

ABC Wednesday!

T is for.......
Teapot!


A Photo a Day
My Teapots





I'm A Little Teapot

I'm a little teapot, short and stout

Here is my handle (hand on hip), here is my spout (other arm out straight)
When I get all steamed up, hear me shout
Just tip me over and pour me out!



These are 3 of my favourite and symbolic teapots.
From the right......
The Policeman, bought in June 1991 a few days before we were due to exchange contracts on our current house, an ex-police house.
Because of the sheer stress involved with the exchange of contracts and playing the waiting game with solicitors and estate agents I did not want to tempt fate by assuming the house was ours yet, so I put a deposit down and went back to collect it when the sale was complete.

In 1992 I bought the Chicken teapot.
This was the year we got our first chickens.
2 hens, (Madge and Mavis) named after our mums and one cockerel, Maurice named after Uncle Moss, the ex-bus driver who frequently self-ignited when driving his car, all down to dropping his cigarette whilst driving!
Not long after we moved into the village I had taken Tess, our late border collie up the lane.
The next thing I knew she trotted out of a neighbours field with a hen in her mouth. It would have been Ok were it not for being dragged under the gate. Sadly the hen was dispatched by its owner, Les who came round to collect his hen!
A few weeks later at the Harvest Auction a set of hens was up for auction. We bought them and gave Les one hen, keeping the remainder.
This was to be the start of our poultry keeping, all as pets.
Later that year, just before Christmas we bought our 3 geese, Jo, Peggy and Dolly.
The following year we got our first ducks.
I must tell you the tale someday, remind me!

In 1993 I bought the Aga teapot.
This was the year we bought our Aga and Jon built it.
The teapot seemed to be just the thing to remind us of the great achievement Jon had made building the Aga without any help or details, just a gut engineer's hunch and a basic diagram.


It was to be the start of my teapot collecting.
However when I reached 25 I found I was washing them every week, due to the dust the Aga gives out, so I cut down the collection drastically but could never part with these.
They are currently on top of my dresser, and yes, I still wash them every week.

I will be washing them tomorrow, well today really Wednesday, as this will be when you read this post, unless you are early!

Note*

I very nearly linked this to David's weekend wandering but did not have an appropriate photograph. He asked "What was the best Christmas Present you ever received, well strangely enough(gosh that is the 3rd time I have used these words today)....my best present ever started with a T, and was indeed my first typewriter. It was a "brother" model.
My mum was a secretary and I was always fascinated by her typing speed. At he tender age of 8 I got my first portable typewriter. I remember rushing down the stairs on Christmas morning and lo and behold, in a huge package was a case....without a key! Fortunately Father Christmas had left a spare key with Uncle Moss (yes, the same self-igniting one) and Auntie Dot, so we rushed round to their house ad having received the key, went home and unlocked my new machine. Mum taught me some basic rules of typing which have remained with me since.


Like Dot, I am trying out the Mr Linky, Just add your name to the link like it says and post a comment. If you'd just like to comment and not participate in ABC Wednesday then that is fine also. Then you can click on the links to visit the others who are participating. Please don't link if you don't have an ABC photograph on your blog.



ABC Wednesday is still growing, with another new participant this week, Karen, (Happyone) from Maryland, US.

46 comments:

Annie said...

Your teapots are so delightful, Mrs. Nesbitt. I do love a cup of tea now and again throughout the day. Perhaps it's my British ancestry coming to the fore.

dot said...

I love your cute little teapots but I'll have to stick with my cofee and iced tea.

I'll sing with you though... I'm a little teapot short and stout. Here is my handle here is my spout!

Andrea said...

What cute teapots. You stories behind your teapots are interesting.

Anonymous said...

So cute! I used to work with a guy who collected teapots. He actually had an amazing collection.
http://themoderngoddess.wordpress.com/

Lilli & Nevada said...

I love teapots, i also collect teapots. My favorite was a cow over the moon, but unfortunately it got broken.
Interesting stories of how you got them.

Lynette said...

What wonderful teapots and the story to go along with them is perfect. Thanks for sharing all of it. I also love that photo at the top of your blog--it's lovely. I put my name on Mr. Linky, too.

Deb said...

Such unusual teapots, we dont see them around here! :)

hpy said...

I often start my day with a cup of tea, but I don't have a teapot like yours. They are very special. And it's nice to know the story of each one of them.

photowannabe said...

I love your collection Denise. Collections have a way of taking over everything. Since moving to a new place I am consolidating mine too. Too much and too big.
I put my name on your link too.
Drop by for the letter T.

mrsnesbitt said...

annie,
Just had my early morning cuppa......can face anything now, well in a few minutes, just time for another?

dot,
Yes, love the song!

andrea
Interesting yet so true.

nicole,
Unusual for a chap to collect them.

lilli
problem with saving anything like this, they do get broken.

lynette,
Great stuff! That is the view from my study window right now.

deb & hpy
Yes, they are cute and a bit different.

Rune Eide said...

I think I'll make myself a cup of tea...

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

love your teapots - just added my T post to linky

Mike said...

I try to avoid doing the "I'm a little Teapot" thing. It just doesn't look right lol. Great T post.

Jean M Fogle said...

Now I am going to have that song in my head all day! I do like teapots even if I dont trink tea!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I know what you mean about the collection as my wife collects salt and pepper shakers. There everywhere and she spends a lot of time dusting them. Maybe I will show her your post and gently hint about getting rid (oops, I mean consolidating) of some of them.

Have a nice Wednesday!

mrsnesbitt said...

runee, ackworth and Mike..
great stuff teapots eh! You may not sing the song but you certainly drink the tea! LOL!

jean,
I know what you mean!

Digital...oh I have some of those too...ploiceman & a burglar! LOL!

Happyone said...

Love your teapots!! I have something to go with them. :-)
Thanks for adding me to ABC Wednesday!!

SandyCarlson said...

Your teapots are awesome. The Aga is a hoot! Very clever. God bless.

mrsnesbitt said...

happyone,
LOL! Great minds think alike!

sandy,
Thanks.The aga is one of my favourites.

kml said...

Great memories and stories! Love the chicken one!

Sandy Kessler said...

Your headdress is beautiful-- So many people collect teapots. I'm always amazed at how clever i beati

Neva said...

Very nice teapots! I will add Karen to my blog roll as well.

Anonymous said...

I've added my name to Mr Linky so I guess I need to comment here??

bonnie said...

Hi mrsnesbitt, I just signed up with mr. linky to join ABC Wednesday. Do I need to do anything else to get added to your link list? I'm so excited about being a part of this exchange. Your teapots are great, so whimsy, and I love the windows into your life that your stories create.

sam said...

so cool! I also used to collect teapots, not so much the novelty ones but I was a potter so i collected handthrown ceramic ones, mostly made by my friends. Most came to grief over the years and they are terrible dust gatherers so i also phased it out in the end!

Bettey said...

What a great story!!! I giggled quite a bit with the mental image of Uncle Moss self-igniting himself!

Jim Baker said...

teapots and tea cups seem to be a common theme for T... i'm not completly sure about the rules for this... i signed up with Mr Linky or whatever...

heres my first abc wednesday post.

jim baker

Mike's Travels said...

Very cute!

Kate Robertson said...

I loved seeing and hearing about your tea pots. Lets have a virtual cup of tea.

Kate

david mcmahon said...

Great teapot collection - and I love the way you share your stories.

(Well done, Jon, with the Aga. We'll have to call you the Aga Can.)

Yes, I understand how your value your Brother typewriter!

Misty DawnS said...

I collect tea pots and tea cups. It's a tradition that was started because of my grandma, and all my tea cups and pots bring back so many precious memories!

Anonymous said...

I'm a clever teapot, yes it's true
Here's an example of what I can do
I can change my handle to my spout (switch arm positions and repeat tipping motion).
Just tip me over and pour me out.

Handsome teapots Mrs Nesbitt.

imac said...

Nice post.

Havent seen yer for a while? have I scared you off with your hats??? lol.


Last post of the east coast

Julie said...

I absolutely love your new banner and verse. Thank you for the story of the three special teapots. I enjoy hearing the history of an item.

I didn't visit your blog for awhile because when I tried to exit, "it" would kick me off the computer, but that mystifying problem seems to have stopped.

Julie

Sandi McBride said...

Is that a Kitty on the Aga? I have an Aga teapot with a kitty on it (not like yours, just similar) which I intend to send to Sophiehoneysuckle since her cat Spider likes that nice warm spot! I am a teapot girl...can't get enough of them...sang the teapot song in my childhood and now with my grand daughter! What fun...
Sandi

DigitalShutterMania said...

Honestly, your teapots are cute ; ) Great idea : )

Cheer
DSM

Pete M said...

Nice teapots, do they hold any value. Question will ABC be starting again after the Z post

mrsnesbitt said...

Thanks for all your comments & welcome new members.
Please sign up with Mr Linky, if you are still "in" with ABC Wednesday, it is easier to track everybody.

Peter...you bet we are still continuing.
Denise
xx

Jeanette said...

Hi MrsN,
OOOOhhhh I love your Teapots and story to go with each one.and ill also join in the chorus, Im a little teapot short and stout.
Having a much needed cuppa at the moment I have been called a Teaholic,,, lol

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i would love a cuppa from one of these...singing along...blessings, rebecca

Pete M said...

Hi there could you add me to your blogroll please

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Ooo I luv tea. Not as much as I yewst to, now that BOTH parronts don't tayke shugar so I carnt sip from their cups as much as I yewst to....

AVCr8teur said...

What unusual looking teapots. I would have loved to see the rest of your collection. It must've been hard to decide which ones to give up.

CG said...

I collect teapots too!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. kindly go to:

http://betabloggerfordummies.blogspot.com/2007/03/remove-nofollow-attribute-on-comments.html

to find out how you can remove the rel=nofollow in your template. they explained it better. :-)

Don't forget to: Put a check in the Expand Widgets Template Checkbox at the top of the Edit Template text box before you look for the rel=nofollow tag.

Do follow is a win-win for bloggers and its readers so we believe that it's imperative for all bloggers to support it. The rel=nofollow was created by google to create a dead link on your blog for every comment you get, so that specific page is not ranked by search engines for as long as you have the rel=nofollow, it will ignore that page.

you may have a page rank on your front page or homepage BUT the specific articles won't be indexed according to its importance and relevance when you have the rel=nofollow tag.

While rel=nofollow was meant to be anti-spam, it sees every link as one! Why would we punish legitimate comments from NOT being indexed by search engines? Legit comments deserve the link love...

thanks. cheers!

www.blogsthatfollow.com

Anonymous said...

http://betabloggerfordummies.blogspot.com
/2007/03/remove-nofollow-attribute
-on-comments.html

the URL got cut off on the previous comment (copy the entire URL and paste on the browser to view the site). or go to:

http://blog.blogsthatfollow.com
/wp/2007/12/05/what-is-do-follow/

we have a link there for betabloggerfordummies website to remove the nofollow.