The Sky, just as it is, from my window.

I am at a loss for words tonight as I am struggling to come to terms with the death of one of my ex-pupils, who has lost an horrendous battle with cancer at the age of 29.
Jonathan Simpson was an absolute star!
I taught him at Kemplah Primary School, Guisborough.
After he left school I often bumped into him, he always had a smile and was interested in what was going on with the people around him, a true gem.
One of the stories I read to Jonathan's class was Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach...this piece, from the book seems so appropriate.
Jonathan Simpson was an absolute star!
I taught him at Kemplah Primary School, Guisborough.
After he left school I often bumped into him, he always had a smile and was interested in what was going on with the people around him, a true gem.
One of the stories I read to Jonathan's class was Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach...this piece, from the book seems so appropriate.
They came in the evening, then, and found Jonathan gliding peaceful and alone through his beloved sky.
The two gulls that appeared at his wings were pure as starlight, and the glow from them was gentle and friendly in the high night air.
But most lovely of all was the skill with which they flew,
their wingtips moving a precise and constant inch from his own.
Without a word, Jonathan put them to his test, a test that no gull had ever passed.
He twisted his wings, slowed to a single mile perhour above stall.
The two radiant birds slowed with him, smoothly, locked in position.
They knew about slow flying.
He folded his wings, rolled and dropped in a dive to a hundred ninety
miles per hour.
They dropped with him, streaking down in flawless formation.
At last he turned that speed straight up into a long vertical slow-roll.
They rolled with him, smiling.
He recovered to level flight and was quiet for a time before he spoke.
"Very well," he said, "who are you?"
"We're from your Flock, Jonathan. We are your brothers."
The words were strong and calm.
"We've come to take you higher, to take you home."
"Home I have none. Flock I have none. I am Outcast.
And we fly now at the peak of the Great Mountain Wind.
Beyond a few hundred feet, I can lift this old body no higher."
"But you can Jonathan. For you have learned.
One school is finished,and the time has come for another to begin."
As it had shined across him all his life, so understanding lighted
that moment for Jonathan Seagull.
They were right. He could fly higher, and it was time to go home.
He gave one last look across the sky, across that magnificent silver
land where he had learned so much.
"I'm ready " he said at last.
And Jonathan Livingston Seagull rose with the two star bright gulls to
disappear into a perfect dark sky.
The two gulls that appeared at his wings were pure as starlight, and the glow from them was gentle and friendly in the high night air.
But most lovely of all was the skill with which they flew,
their wingtips moving a precise and constant inch from his own.
Without a word, Jonathan put them to his test, a test that no gull had ever passed.
He twisted his wings, slowed to a single mile perhour above stall.
The two radiant birds slowed with him, smoothly, locked in position.
They knew about slow flying.
He folded his wings, rolled and dropped in a dive to a hundred ninety
miles per hour.
They dropped with him, streaking down in flawless formation.
At last he turned that speed straight up into a long vertical slow-roll.
They rolled with him, smiling.
He recovered to level flight and was quiet for a time before he spoke.
"Very well," he said, "who are you?"
"We're from your Flock, Jonathan. We are your brothers."
The words were strong and calm.
"We've come to take you higher, to take you home."
"Home I have none. Flock I have none. I am Outcast.
And we fly now at the peak of the Great Mountain Wind.
Beyond a few hundred feet, I can lift this old body no higher."
"But you can Jonathan. For you have learned.
One school is finished,and the time has come for another to begin."
As it had shined across him all his life, so understanding lighted
that moment for Jonathan Seagull.
They were right. He could fly higher, and it was time to go home.
He gave one last look across the sky, across that magnificent silver
land where he had learned so much.
"I'm ready " he said at last.
And Jonathan Livingston Seagull rose with the two star bright gulls to
disappear into a perfect dark sky.
Tonight's Evening Paper Article

49 comments:
So sad when someone so young and vital pass ... I am sorry for your loss as well as his family's...(((MrsNesbitt)))
:-Daryl
Aloha Denise,
Oh gosh how sad for such a courageous young man.
Val (my dad's wife) her maiden name is Simpson.
Wonder if they are related, both coming from Yorkshire?
Anyway, peace in your heart for such a contemplative time for you..
Prayers to his family..Peace, Kai
I've just read tonight's paper - Lesley is in tears and we didn't even know him. Such a sad loss.
Gary
What an awful loss. My heart goes out to you, and to his young family.
How unbearably sad!
I'm so sorry for your loss.. that's a heartbreaker.
What a nice way to mark the passing of somebody you cared about.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Deeply sorry for your loss!
I`m so sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry for your loss..too!
I'm awful sorry about the death of this young man. That's very sad. The wedding photo brought a tear to my eye.
Your sky is lonely. But beautiful.
God bless, Denise.
perfect catch for SWF! Hope to see you around in my corner too..
Agonizing. I'm so sorry.
I am sorry for your loss. I understand your title now. It is a lonely sky. But it is a vibrant sky. Much like the way you decribed Jonathan. Take care. Lisa
After reading your words it's almost bad to talk about your photo! It's always very sad whem death arrives too soon!
Lovely post on a courageous sounding young man. Keeping you and his family and friends in my thoughts. Love Hugs and Blessings
My partner still teaches supply and I know all to well how the paasing away of a youngster affects everyone with contected with them. It is always just so sad. Your image is so alive with colour, a lovely image and words to accompany your mournful post.
My heart goes out to you and to his family and friends. Your lonely sky is an eloquent statement.
Nancy
What a beautiful tribute.
Such a shame. Wish he could read what you wrote about him. But who knows, maybe he can.
"Louis" understands the loss you feel. It is a beautiful thing you've done to pay him homage with this post.
A beautiful tribute to this young man. Your sky seems to reflect your mood very well.
Kathy b
I am so sorry for him, his family, friends, and you - his former teacher. I, too, have lost former students, one in particular the summer after he was in my Communications 11/12 class. He was in the back of a pickup truck that was speeding and he was thrown out and instantly killed. Heartbreaking and my heart aches for you right now as you remember him as a young lad in your class.
beautiful sky...
My SWF in here Thanks
it is sad to hear ur post. He is so young...
Mine in here Thanks
Another sad moment, Denise. So sad when you lose a student. My son who is 43 has lost three of his school mates over the years. Happily I met two brothers I taught twenty years ago in a restaurant on Mother's Day. They recognized me!!
Beautiful photo for a beautiful life.
It's so wrong for this to happen to one so young,
My Heart bleeds for you all and I'll keep you all in my prayers.
He is at peace now and has no pain.
always remember that he is only in the other room.
Nicky
I feel honoured you choose this post for sky watch the picture and words were a joy to see and read.
a very beautiful shot but a very sad news. I'm deeply sorry
A very very sad story... I post to remember... and with the beautiful sky picture, I can feel it in my hart <3
Lot of hugs to you from Anne in Norway
I'm so sorry for the loss of this beautiful young man. We named our son for Jonathan Livingston Seagull so your posting has special poignancy for me. Your photo is melancholy and beautiful.
A sad story but a touching tribute for Jonathan. May his memory be for a blessing.
So sad. My prayers are with the family.
Lovely writeup in the paper and your song of the lonely sky was the perfect choice.
I am saddened by the early death of such a fine young. I was touched by the newpaper article, and by your most appropriate selection from "Jonathan Livingston Seagull." your SWF photo was a lovely addition to this tribute.
people often cannot understand why I get so upset at losing a former student- they do not understand that the moment that child enters your classroom , he becomes a member of a big family that lives in your heart forever.Derek Raposa my student was killed 5 years a go. I could not deal with it. I went to several memorials. Only when I read at 16 that he had dedicated his organs was I able to cope. I have cancer myself . It is the strangest of diseases. I have felt splendid for 3 weeks now after 5 month s of serious illness every day- however yesterday and today I can barely move...Fly away Jon..look at all the hearts following....
I'm so sorry for your lost...
Lots of ))))hugs((( from Norway<3
Deeply sorry for your loss!
This is one beautiful tribute.
Having recently lost my older sister to cancer, I know how you feel. As I said on another post, it's never easy to lose someone we admire and/or love, but that's how life works, and we try to get used to the idea. Hope he's in peace and shining his smile somewhere else.
Kisses rom Nydia.
So sad. Cancer is so scary. It hit our daughter but we were blessed and God healed her. My heart goes out to his family. Bless their hearts as they face each lonely day ahead without their loved one. Breaks my heart to think how hurt they are.
I'm sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute!
Misplaced your email address .. I was hoping you could share how you set up the
SOME OF THE MANY SUBJECTS I RAMBLE ON ABOUT!
list that you have .. email me at fashionistanyc at gmail.com
thanks!
Daryl
Wow, that's really sad... the excerpt you chose seemed very fitting. Sorry for your loss. Peaceful wishes. Linnea.
It never makes sense to us to loose someone so young and special!
I am sorry to hear about your loss. Such a beautiful sunset and words.
JLS has such amazing inspiration!
Just thinking of you and wishing you peace.
He sounds like a wonderful man. I am sorry for you loss. You did a wonderful tribute to him.
It's always so sad when young people die young, I know how you feel, one of the youngsters I used to teach was killed in a road accident recently - he was only 19.
I am so sorry about your pupil's passing. As a cancer survivor (so far...) I can understand all the more. Coincidentally, one of the other Belgrade bloggers posted a photo the other day about the passing of a student from his former high school.
Your photo and poem tribute were lovely.
Just catching up with things and found this - read every bit of it and the links - so sad.
My heart goes out to his family, but somehow especially to you, who knew him and grieves yet is not perhaps near enough to have that grief recognised. You post a beautiful tribute to a young man you clearly admired. Know that my thoughts are with you (and sorry I am late over here).
Post a Comment