A Photo a Day
10.05.08
The old bench, the front garden.
10.05.08
The old bench, the front garden.
Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.
Franz Kafka
Our garden. like so many others is enjoying the weather and the pink of the tulips really brings the old bench alive.
Our garden is full of old bits and bobs and I am enjoying bringing colour and detail to old throw aways, which otherwise would indeed be thrown away....so I am going to be busy!

I am dismayed to say this week's contribution for Misty Dawn's Camera Critters
features a naughty doggy! Yes, our very own Elsie.
On Friday evening after a lovely day we were having a BBQ on our patio.
Basically Elsie felt that Wilma should not have been playing with the frisby which I had thrown for her.........
so she bit Wilma, who does not like being bitten.....so she gave as good as she got!
Jon and I eventually pulled them apart and Elsie was sent up to the Naughty Girl's Room (Jon's study) to do some thinking!
Wilma was upset, but calmed down.
When we checked Elsie we discovered Wilma had bitten one of her rear paws.
We took Elsie to the vets where she had to be sedated and prepared for a small operation.
Her claw had to be removed but the would was stitched up and the vet was happy with the result!
We collected Elsie who was drowsy, and as you can see, as she lay in the sunshine she fell asleep on Jon's foot!
Bless!
Both Wilma and Elsie are re-homed rescued dogs, so we know they both have problems.
At times we despair but know they are in good hands!
We just need to exercise our patience and understanding!

Our garden is full of old bits and bobs and I am enjoying bringing colour and detail to old throw aways, which otherwise would indeed be thrown away....so I am going to be busy!

I am dismayed to say this week's contribution for Misty Dawn's Camera Critters
features a naughty doggy! Yes, our very own Elsie.
On Friday evening after a lovely day we were having a BBQ on our patio.
Basically Elsie felt that Wilma should not have been playing with the frisby which I had thrown for her.........
so she bit Wilma, who does not like being bitten.....so she gave as good as she got!
Jon and I eventually pulled them apart and Elsie was sent up to the Naughty Girl's Room (Jon's study) to do some thinking!
Wilma was upset, but calmed down.
When we checked Elsie we discovered Wilma had bitten one of her rear paws.
We took Elsie to the vets where she had to be sedated and prepared for a small operation.
Her claw had to be removed but the would was stitched up and the vet was happy with the result!
We collected Elsie who was drowsy, and as you can see, as she lay in the sunshine she fell asleep on Jon's foot!
Bless!
Both Wilma and Elsie are re-homed rescued dogs, so we know they both have problems.
At times we despair but know they are in good hands!
We just need to exercise our patience and understanding!

Why own a dog?
Why own a dog? There's danger you know,
You can't own just one, the craving will grow.
There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger,
While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.
The sofa is hairy, the windows are crusty,
The floor is all footprints, the furniture is dusty,
The housekeeping suffers, but what do you care?
Who minds a few nose prints, and a little more hair?
Each one is so special, so useful, so funny,
The Vet, the food bills grow larger, you owe money,
Your folks never visit, few friends come to stay,
Except other dog folks, who live the same way.
Your lawn has now died, and your shrubs are dead too,
But your weekends are busy, you're off with the crew.
There's dog food and vitamins, and training and shots,
And entries and motels which cost lots.
Is it worth it you wonder? Are you caught in a trap?
Then your favorite dog comes and climbs in your lap.
His look says your special, and you know that you will,
Keep all of the critters, in spite of the bill
Author Unknown
Why own a dog? There's danger you know,
You can't own just one, the craving will grow.
There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger,
While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.
The sofa is hairy, the windows are crusty,
The floor is all footprints, the furniture is dusty,
The housekeeping suffers, but what do you care?
Who minds a few nose prints, and a little more hair?
Each one is so special, so useful, so funny,
The Vet, the food bills grow larger, you owe money,
Your folks never visit, few friends come to stay,
Except other dog folks, who live the same way.
Your lawn has now died, and your shrubs are dead too,
But your weekends are busy, you're off with the crew.
There's dog food and vitamins, and training and shots,
And entries and motels which cost lots.
Is it worth it you wonder? Are you caught in a trap?
Then your favorite dog comes and climbs in your lap.
His look says your special, and you know that you will,
Keep all of the critters, in spite of the bill
Author Unknown
As you can see from my previous posts, we have been out and about on the motorbike enjoying some time off...making the most of the weather.
I do appologise for not visiting many blogs and so appreciate your comments here.
I will visit after our holiday period.
I do appologise for not visiting many blogs and so appreciate your comments here.
I will visit after our holiday period.
Take care and watch this space!
Dx
Dx

23 comments:
I just love that old bench :-) I hope Wilma and Elsie are friends again soon!
Thanks for the comments ;-). Great poem - I'm more a cat person, so can leave the dogs at one, but hubby is already talking of another as a mate of his has puppies (well, everything else comes in twos lol - cats, rabbits, kids). Love the use of the old bench.
Love the bench.
We've always done rescues, too. Most of our dogs have gotten along just fine, but sometimes the mix is iffy. We just keep doing it - dogs need homes, we need dogs.
Poor Elsie I hope she recovers soon. I know what it is like with rescue dogs I rescued 3 GSD's - not all at the same time - each came with their own problems but they were full of love and became very good companions.
I LOVE the poem.
We're thinking of rescuing a dog - your poem has put us off!!!
Just kidding!
Could do with rescuing an old bench though - got one spare?
I've restarted "Bodge's Bulletin" - in case you want to pop by sometime (more uplifting than an old Crohny!!)http://bodgesbulletin.blogspot.com hope to see you there someday.
Gary
Your garden looks great in the warm spring sun! And your pup, as ever, looks to be the picture of bliss.
The Kafka quote is wonderful. I didn't know he had any happy thoughts!
God bless, and happy BYB Sunday.
Great text!! My hugs to Elsie*
Elsie looks a little smasher, not at all naughty, just cheeky.
Love the bench. I'm glad Wilma and Elsie have such understanding and loving owners!
All three of the cats and our lab, Bear, were rescues. We adopted Rusty from an old couple who took good care of him but felt, due to medical problems on their part, they wouldn't be able to continue to care for him.
I am glad that they generally get along well. Theya re both such beautiful dogs.
i love you Wilma
Love the pic of that old bench...love the poem. I just happen to love anything with fur...and I don't own them. They own me.
I'm sending thoughts and wishes for Elsie's paw to heal quickly.
I know ALL too well about the personality conflicts. ALL THREE of my Border Collies are rescues, and we deal with these 'issues' on a daily basis, but we wouldn't give one of them up for anything in the world ;-)
That poem is AWESOME! I had to read it out loud to my husband who had a huge smile on his face and asked, "Who wrote that?" When I told him it was anonymous, he said "That is a GREAT poem!"
By the way - I LOVE the bench photo too, and I think it is one of my favorite photos of yours! Just something about it really draws me in.
Glad as is well with Elsie...
Pet Rescues are something else...
Neat bench
Thanks for stopping by "Ornery by Nature". Our "queen" is a rescue dog we adore. Have a great week.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a great looking bik, I envy you being able to ride around the Isle of Man.
I have english bull dogs. Lily is almost 8, and Bodhi is coming up on 1 year. They are the sweetest dogs I have ever had. You are to be commended for helping rescues.
-P
a cool dog! nice poem!
thanks for visiting My Photoblog
cool dog! nice poem!
thanks for visiting My Photoblog
Awww she looks so sweet there! A very worthwhile critter post!
Love the tulips peeking through the bench too. Hope you enjoy your biking...
Sorry about the foot.
Hope all goes well
Come visit,
Troy and Martha
I love everything about this post. the bench and tulips, the poem and the drama of the day. Its always an adventure coming here.
I adore the old bench photograph. It's wonderful.
Elsie is beautiful. I hope she heals well.
Post a Comment