This is my contribution for odd shot Monday, hosted by Katney!

We went to York on Sunday......
as ever a flurry of Japanese tourists keen on photographs!

See the original photograph!
Love it!
"He's behind you!" springs to mind! LOL!
The weather forecast was "RAIN!"
We set off for a snack at Whitby and decided to head towards York.
Although it rained here and there the temperature was still warm.

Eventually we arrived in York.
By the minster I took this photograph, and it was only as I uploaded the picture did I focus in on the gargoyles!
Fascinating!




I loved this sign!

The weather forecast is good for the next few days so we are going to make the most of it.
Jon is taking a few days off and we are heading for the sunshine.
Watch this space!
For the Bridge project, hosted by Rune

Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge
You can read all about how it works here
And even see a web cam of how it looks today here
THE BRIDGE BUILDER
An old man, going down a lone highway
Came at the evening, cold and gray,
To a chasm vast and wide and steep,
With waters rolling cold and deep.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim;
The sullen stream had no fears for him.
But he turned when safe on the other side,
And built a bridge to span the tide.
"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting your strength with building here.
Your journey will end with the ending day,
You never again will pass this way.
You've crossed the chasm, deep and wide,
Why build you this bridge at eventide?"
The builder lifted his old grey head.
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followed after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
The chasm that was as naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be;
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim --
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him."
--Will Allen Dromgoole
An old man, going down a lone highway
Came at the evening, cold and gray,
To a chasm vast and wide and steep,
With waters rolling cold and deep.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim;
The sullen stream had no fears for him.
But he turned when safe on the other side,
And built a bridge to span the tide.
"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting your strength with building here.
Your journey will end with the ending day,
You never again will pass this way.
You've crossed the chasm, deep and wide,
Why build you this bridge at eventide?"
The builder lifted his old grey head.
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followed after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
The chasm that was as naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be;
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim --
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him."
--Will Allen Dromgoole
You will be able to see how grey the sky looks!
Hope we find some sunshine.

30 comments:
The Trnasporter Bridge is just an odd looking thing in itself. Fellow photographers I appreciate, geeting down low and holding that pose. Makes me realise how daft I look.
Thanks for the link that tells how the bridge works, otherwise I would not have got it! ;-)
The gargoyles are gorgeous!!
As for the transporter bridge -- we used it once - our son was at the potty-training stage and needed to go while we were waiting. Had a hatchback which was level at the back and he sat there on his potty. He was still there when we had to go across!
Ah, thats the Bridge that went to America with the Auf Wiedersehen Pet Boys,init.haha.
Great post Mrs N.
My bridge and odd shot are now showing.
Terrific post! All very interesting.
Very inerested pos and a wonderful bridge!
Have a nice day:)
LOL, I took some of those Gargoyle pics last time in York (the day I met you in thirsk)
I love the trips you take us on all over Yorkshire Denise, they are a delight so please don't stop!!
Peace, Kai xx
The bridge doesn't look like it was built in 1911! It looks very modern in appearance to me. I have never tried one of those - must be a special experience.
And thank you for setting words to our group of "bridge builders"!
Just had to LOL @ the Japenese tourist, but @ least in York she has something meaningful to photo!
I loved this post because I have been to both Whitby and York. In fact I remember in Your turning into the wrong lane from force of habit.
So thanks for the pictures and bringing back memories of a long ago visit.
Great bridge and poem. I always enjoy your posts.
My bridge is built.
Come visit,
Troy
Thank you for sharing, esp. Gargoyles!
Both bridge and odd shot were interesting reading. I have both posted also -- come and see.
excellent post, great images, well done.
These are definitely odd shots. I love the shots of York - it is a beautiful city with an awe inspiring minster. The Japanese tourist made me smile too - very odd on such a wet day to linger so close to wet ground!
My odd shot is up (first post for odd shots). I admire the bridge too - and your use of poetry. Very apt. Very well thought out.
I love York, my daughter went to University there, it was wonderful to go and stay with her, unfortunately she didn't stay.
Wow, a lot of interesting pictures you have there. No rain in our forecast - but it is hot. That Bridge is really cool.
Thanks for the Odd Shots, Mrs. Nesbitt. Really like those gargoyle shots and the bridge.
I really enjoyed seeing those photos of the gargoyles. They are fascinating and I saw lots when over there and in France. We don't have anything like that here in Canada! Boo Hoo!
Amazing gargoyles and that transporter bridge is fascinating.
Hope you find some sunshine and enjoy your time together.
The bridge could double as your odd shot, but I love the gargoyles. We see many Japanese tourists with cameras ready when we do our volunteering at Mt. Rainier National Park. They take turns taking pictures of each other with the mountain as background. I often offer to take one that includes the whole party--with their camera, of course.
I love the gargoyles!I wonder why the human ones are touching their faces!
Love those gargoyles. They bring to mind so many basic fears. They are amazing.
http://meeyauw-pad.blogspot.com/2008/05/odd-shots-skull.html
"Louis la Vache" was looking for the place to sign up for ABC Wednesday. Louis will participate regularly in this meme. "Louis la Vache" @ "San Francisco Bay Daily Photo". http://bayphoto.blogspot.com
"Louis la Vache" has added "Mrs. Nesbitt's Place" as a link at "San Francisco Bay Daily Photo".
Amazing...good work...And I get a smile in my face over the the Japanese tourist ;-)
Transporter Bridge - that is odd, and new to me! We always learn don't we?
Thank You for sharing!!!
(( hug ))
Hello Denise.
Its hard to look at all most GREAT pictures , they are all very pretty (including the chinese haha)I love the architecture, good that there was no rain!!!
We just returned for Switserland, please come and see/enjoy my adventures there, visit my blog; www.joannwalraven.blogspot.com
Greetings
Very interesting and impressive old Bridge.Thank`s for sharing!
Post a Comment