14.8.06

YIPPEE WE HAVE OUR VERY OWN COMPOST SITE!

TAKE AN EX-SEPTIC TANK! ADD............ Kitchen Waste The entire contents of one goose hut (goose poo & straw Fallen decomposing apples Trimmed leaves from tomato plants... and Hey Presto...... Am going to the tip with the original contents and will call into the factory and cadge some large cardboard flat pack boxes for the top! T he plot as you can see is on a slope, but we are working on that! Just shouting out "Plant me up" Think I may put my strawberries out there so the runners can take root! Then this water but can be moved round to the plot too. Will put it next to the shed so water can drop into it. Will have to make a device! As you can see, evidence that Jo does indeed enjoy company.... he has been sitting outside the kitchen patio doors! Close up though you can see the rich, green goodness! 70% recycled grass!!! Now, onthe new compost site!

10 comments:

Marie said...

Blimey you have been busy-now who's putting who to shame!!
It'll be really productive once you have it planted up. have you any plans for some winter/early springs crops?

mrsnesbitt said...

I am going to plant my strawberry plants as soon as I can, so the runners can take root.
After that, who knows?
Japanese onions?
and hopefully the greenhouse will be going up soon!
Oh and potatoes in an old black plastic dustbin for the Christmas table....any other suggestions?

Dx

Anonymous said...

That Septic tank now changed into a compost place would be an excellent place for a vermicomposting site. The size and shape is just excellent for it.

mrsnesbitt said...

Karen.......what is a vermicomposting site?

Need some information if you have any please.

Thanks chuck.
Dx

Unknown said...

Looking really good - John and co have done a good job with the rotorvator.

Compost bin in place already - nice to get your priorities right!

Great to see it developing.

Anonymous said...

Vermicomposting is using worms to eat your kitchen waste and is the quickest way to compost mainly kitchen waste and leaves and is best done in a rectangle exactly like you have there. Done in a rotating system one can guarantee always having ready compost and no turning.

People talk of using worm bins but a good low rectangle works best, exactly as you have there.

Look up 'Vermicomposting' on the web and it will tell you all the basics but it is best if you put the worms in one place, then put your kitchen waste to the next area and keep on rotating in a circle until you meet up. Harvesting the vermicompost as it is made.

If I had a site like that I would be in there with my worms at the ready.

Vermicomposting is much quicker than normal composting.

Sounds awful ? I assure you it is not. It is fun and it is fascinating.

mrsnesbitt said...

Oooh thanks Karen, I will certainly do some research here.
This is why having a blog is so educational.
Ideas and inspiration along the way.

Great stuff!
Dx

Marie said...

If you can get any leek or cabbage plants you could get them in. You might just get away with sowing Kohl Rabi, Spinach, Lettuce, Radish, Kale and Pak Choi. Might need some protection as it seems incredibly cool now-not summer any more.
Whats happened to INEBG site??

clairesgarden said...

there is a book called 'your edible landscape' by robert kourik with lots of advice about designing vegetable plots on slopes, after reading it I am quite disapointed mine is totally flat!

mrsnesbitt said...

Oooooooooooooohh another book! Claire!!! I have checked the second hand site I use, so as it is quite expensive I will order it from the library van on Monday!

Sounds a good read!

Dx