13.8.06

Empty nest.....all on their way now to warmer parts!

I have just taken this photograph.... Yesterday day of the maiden flight........and what a day it turned out to be. Ella was sitting by the back door, wanting to go outside....... the minute I let her out I knew something was happening. Instead of scurrying down the garden she immediately stopped in her tracks and looked up towards the nest! The chattering, normally confined to the nest was very loud and animated.......when I looked, one of the chicks was perched on top of the drainpipe, on the edge of the funnel which feeds directly into the drain. Next to her was one of the parent housemartins, very agitated. Ella went down the garden, myself in hot persuit! I phoned Jon to tell him....he would set off straight away! I went outside to find Ella with one of the chicks in her mouth! I got Ella on the floor and managed to get the chick, no damage seemed evident. I examined the chick who was looking at me all of the time. I rested it on the shelf and quickly got Ella in the house. I put the chick on the ground and watched carefully, it was trying to fly. I picked it up and lifted it, and as I opened my hands it flew away into the low sky. The following moments saw the parents scouring the sky, encouraging the chicks towards the shelter and safety of the nest. At last they were in the nest and I could see the tail feathers of the parent birds and hear their chattering as they settled down for the night. I would like to think they were discussing today's flight plan and talking about the nice lady with the camera who rescued one of the chicks. Another second in Ella's jaws and it could have sustained damage which could have brought tragic results midst it's transatlantic journey! Here's wishing Travelling Mercies to our family! We will see what next year brings! Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky Bird then! My dog used to be the same with mice.

mrsnesbitt said...

That's what I think Becki!
But what horrible weather for flight!

Wonder where they are now?
Dx

Unknown said...

Thank goodness there was a happy ending.

Safe journies little family and return next year to amaze and delight us all again

Anonymous said...

that was a close escape wasn't it! very luckly little bird, they are quite incredible making those journeys every year, quite remarkable!

mrsnesbitt said...

Thanks all, a week passes so quickly...wonder where they are now?