18.3.08

ABC Wednesday! ....I is for....

Welcome to ABC Wednesday!

How to participate in ABC Wednesday.

1. Post your I picture on your blog.

2. Come to my blog and sign in on Mr. Linky

3. Enjoy the beautiful I pictures of the other bloggers.

There is a new Mr. Linky each week so you always have to sign up on the current one.
Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you have an I picture posted on your blog

Please leave a comment here and a link back to this blog.

Also, please vote in my poll...at the top of the sidebar! Thank You

We reached 80+ participants last week, so please be assured we will do our best to visit each blog, not necessarily on Wednesday, but it would help if you did leave a comment here

I is for.........

INVITATION 1.



Come into my kitchen.....dinner is served.












Every Saturday night I cook a special meal for Jon & I. I love white linen & simple flowers.
This was the only flower remaining from a bunch I bought to brighten up the house.
If I could have 2 luxuries they would be fresh flowers every day and fresh bed linen too.











Melon marrinated in a crisp white savaignon blanc!











Salmon cooked in Rocket Salad Leaves! I ADORE Rocket!

I made this recipe....
simply place a good handful of rocket salad leaves into the casserole dish. Place salmon fillet on top, cover with more Rocket leaves.

After 10 minutes turn over the fillet and add more salad leaves. Cook for further 5 minutes











Serve with New Potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables. Oh and plenty of ice cold savaignon blanc!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

No deserts.....we don't do deserts on a Saturday....I am on a diet remember!
BUT if I did indulge it would be a selection of cheese and biscuits.

I am passionate about food. I love the whole art of the meal. The table, flowers, presentation. Love it.


I is for Invitation 2


This is my latest commission!

What do you think?








Enlarged to show the detail of the crystal butterfly.










The completed calligraphy one.....the bride chose 4 hearts.









I have to say I absolutely ADORED designing the butterfly commission.
I LOVE the boundaries I can push just to get the one design which made the bride cry in awe.

The calligraphy one was straight forward calligraphy. The colour chosen to match the dresses of the bridesmaids. I am passionate about handwriting too. As a child I would pracitse writing for hours on end., inventing and creating my own calligraphy styles.I guess being an arty type of person I am so passionate about art in most forms.

One of the wonderful joys of teaching young children is the various forms and mediums we can introduce them to.

Teaching is 99% passion & enthusiasm 1% knowledge, just my thoughts.

Predominantly I have taught in under-privileged schools. My main subject was always Art.

I had a mission to introduce the children to art and it's visions, often they did not have the experience at home.

When I taught in the city centre of Nottingham in a very socially disadvantaged school I often would take the children to the National Gallery in London, on a Saturday.



On one occasion, following on from a study of the impressionist movement we were queueing outside the Gallery in London.

I was standing with my charges, about 8 in all.

One member of the public standing just in front of us turned round, looked at the small children and "Tutted" loudly with an air of disgust and disdain.

One of my pupils picked this gesture up and said,

"Shouldn't we be here Miss?"

I had to fight the disgust rising in my stomach as I replied, in a somewhat raised tone....

"Ian, ( I remember his name to this day) this gallery belongs to the nation, particularly young people like you!

The lady in question looked right at me and tutted again.

I held her stare.....for quite a while, probably longer than necessary.



We filed into the gallery.

We were looking at one of Van Gogh's paintings, when the same Ian stated in a confident , resounding tone..

"You know Miss, you can tell this was one of Van Gough's early paintings!"

"Why is that Ian?" I replied.

"Well Miss, look at the dark colours. These were the colours he used before his brother Theo introduced him to the brighter colours which greatly influenced his works!"

"Well Done Ian!" I replied. (Tears of pride were welling in my eyes at the time, but I composed myself, and guiding my charges out of the room, I turned to see the member of the public who had behaved in such a disgraceful manner earlier. She was standing transfixed at what she had just overheard....

As I passed her, I once again nailed her with one of my stares and said "You tell me these children shouldn't be here now!

She looked away and bowed her head as I led my wonderful group of pupils into the next room!

My head held high with pride and emotion.

I strive to give to others a sense of sacredness,
because an art event is not just a formal fact but also a momentwhere you put a mark on your dedication.

You must have a feeling of joining a tribe where there is the stick of command, because you are in a sacred place with its rules.

Enzo Cucchi





75 comments:

Kostas said...

Very good the post!
Nice ABC Wednesday.
Marvellous the foods, for us opened the appetite!
Splendid the photographs!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

My Ackworth-born post explains why I probably won't be able to respond to many posts this week - hoping normal service will be restored before long.

Unknown said...

I certainly would accept the invitation! The food looks great.

DigitalShutterMania said...

Wow you get the great invitation. I am hungry when I see your photos.

kRiZcPEc said...

thanks for the invitation, I love salmon dishes. :D

Anonymous said...

Love your saturday night dinner idea! Fun new invitations too. Beautiful. And last but not least way to go Ian!! I'm glad you were with him that day!

dot said...

Hi Denise! Love this post and would certainly accept the invitation to dinner. Your handmade invitations are beautiful.

kml said...

How fortunate your students were to have you in their life!

Your crystal invitation is most beautiful!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hey Denise ,
I love your INVITATION, also to meet you once you are in Holland, (ASSEN IJMuiden) Thank you for the sweet words with IOS's recovery,

Have a great ABC
Dear greetings JoAnn and IOS:)

KaiBlue said...

It's a year today that we met Denise.. :) Have you recovered yet? lol..
PEace, Kai xx

Jo said...

That invitation is SO beautiful. What a fabulous job you did.

And what a fabulous chef you are as well. You can invite me over for dinner any time! :-)

Leslie: said...

Love the dinner invitation - I'll be right over! lol

And the wedding invitation - beautiful - you're so talented.

But the part I love the most is the story of the students going to the art museum and how you stood up to that snob! Good on you!

Michele said...

Mmm... the salmon looks absolutely delicious!!!!

DeeMom said...

Pretty flower
Linen and a flower how romantic
Will be trying that recipe

You plated it beautifully
The invitation is Gorgeous
Made the bride cry in awe I would have too it is exquisite
So you are an educator… AH HA………… no wonder your passion in things
I too have been an educator
Art was my minor in college

Good Quote…

Katney said...

Love it! Your feeling for art is like my feeling for books. I love the sharing of books with the children. I am in my element in my school library. Today I had the follow-up meeting with the principal about my observation two weeks ago. I would say from her comments that my love of sharing books with children is evident.

My ABC--"I" will post at midnight my time. I will sign Mr. Linky after that.

Annie said...

I want to come over for a taste of your dinner - I'll be right there.

Lynette said...

Wonderful ABC Wednesday post--thanks for the invitation and the food and for showing us your beautiful work on the other invitations.

Kate said...

I guess some of us had the same idea. The wedding invitation is quite elegant.

Patty said...

I have the desert for you over on my blog!
Your dinner looks yummy and I love the butterfly!

Sharon said...

Wow, what a wonderful thought provoking post! I love, love, love the butterfly invitation!

Thanks for the invitation to dinner, it looked lovely.

I bet you are a great teacher. I lovet reading about your passion for it. I can't believe someone was rude aobut the children coming to the museum.

Neva said...

How special your Sunday evening sounds.... A very nice ABC Wed.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh wow that food is looking really good, too much food this I post has created.

Paulie said...

All your I entries were wodnerful but I will never forget your story of Ian. Do you still teach?

BTW, what was that object last week and when do we get our prize for guessing?

Silly Goose said...

Bravo! for sticking up for your students. ;-) The invitations are very nice. I'm glad the bride like them.

photowannabe said...

Beautiful invitations and your entire post is full of such interesting things.
I absolutely lovedthe story about your student in the museum. Truely touching.

Mahala said...

Now I'm hungry.

Gordon said...

An interesting post; I certainly would accept your invitation with food so delightfully presented.

The story about the visit to the gallery is surely food for thought; many people outside the teaching profession do not realise the depth of knowledge of some of our students. Well done for holding your ground.

Petunia said...

Wonderful post! Love your invitation<3
I couldn't find Mr. Linky but I have postet my abc photo

hpy said...

Salmon is good, and there are many ways to prepare it. I love food too (and it shows).

AVCr8teur said...

You make beautiful invitations. I can see why you're always busy. I would love to get a taste of the melon balls. :)

Berit T said...

MMMMMM So good Saturdaydinner, I love salmon.
The wedding invitasjon in cristal was beautiful!!!
Have a nice day.

FO - 2 said...

Yummi! A tasty I! :)
Salmon is very good!
Your plates looks inviting and tempting. ;)
Your cards are nice also. Lovely motives.
I beleive that you are a very passionate teacher.
That`s good! Keep up the good work and the good spirit! :)
HAPPY EASTER! :)

Lana G! said...

Wow! So impressed with your invitations! Just lovely!

Rune Eide said...

I hope you cater for foreigners too? Looks like Jon had a delicious meal.

Your story about the visits to the gallery wouldn't be possible today, or...?

BTW Mr. Linky seems to have left your kitchen - at least he has left my machine

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

Sweet invitations.
However, I can't stand fish, I'm allergic. It's a pity.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

With food like that, you could have a lot of people show up because of the invitation.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

What lovely wedding invitations. From your poll it looks like we all are thinking about our posts during the week. Now that I is done I'm thinking about J already.

ArneA said...

Thank you for inviting me to ABC Wednesday
I will join as often I can
Happy Easter to you

Liz Hinds said...

Wow, that's a fantsatic story about Ian. you must have been an inspiring teacher. Well done you!

Now, ABC, please invite me to dinner!

Beautiful invitations. I still prefer the invitation with fewer hearts though! How long does it take you to do that calligraphy? It is fabulous.

Oh, yes, mine's up!

Anonymous said...

Invitation is your WORD, Mrs Nesbitt.
Thanks for the whole.

Dragonstar said...

Delicious! You can come and cook for me any time!

Your crystal butterfly is beautiful - I love your cards. And your story from the Art Gallery is absolutely priceless! What a vindication.

I voted in your poll, but I could only choose one. Oh dear. The only one that doesn't apply to me is the second. Sad, aren't I?

Kerri Farley said...

Fabulous post Mrs. N! Loved your "I"s! But loved most the story of the Gallery! Wow! That was very special! And obviously made a wonderful memory!

Miss_Yves said...

Thank you for your kind invitations!
Your dishes are very appetizing!
Is the wine "Sauvignon"?
Nice butterfly, fine calligraphy!Beautiful light!
miss Yves

Calamity Jane said...

Great job on the calligraphy ... and to Ian on nailing the fuddy-duddy old bat

Daryl said...

Why thank you .. I adore fresh fish! It looks as inviting as your lovely invitiation!

Jean M Fogle said...

I just ate breakfast or else I would be drooling!

Marie said...

Wow, you are a great cook, Mrs. Nesbitt! Have a nice day and thank you for starting the ABC Wednesday......

Nydia said...

Hmm... your dinner looks yummy! Great choice. I'm enjoying this weekly posts. Have a great day, kisses from Nydia.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

So when is the wedding and are we invited? ;) Just kidding.

Nice that you have a special meal on Saturdays. We always seem on the run around here.

gma said...

Lovely invitations. Ian was lucky to have you for a teacher.

Happyone said...

Food looks delicious and your invitations are so pretty.

Libbys Blog said...

Wish you'd been my teacher!!! Think I would be brainier if you had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thank-you for the invitation! The food looks fabulous! (you are making me hungry!)

Janet said...

Thank you for the lovely invitation. The food looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

I just joined. It's fun

imac said...

Hi Plenty I's post there.

Mine going up very soon - sorry late been busy and away next week back wed.

Nydia said...

Thanks for your sweet words on my I photo. Sometimes I do use incense in the kitchen depending on what we cook! :)
Kisses from Nydia.

BumbleVee said...

Buon Appetito! As Mario would say...

I, too, have a bit about food.... well, more about the books to make the food...... mmmm.... fresh home baked bread!how 'bout a slice with hunny on top? zip over for tea and toast...and thank you so much for a lovel salmon treat.

Nancy said...

Thank you for the invitation.Would love to be there.The food looks delicious.Love the invitations.I am quite partial to butterflies.

Unknown said...

I understand the color now to match the bridesmaids with the champagne butterfly loveliness my personal preference would have been softer-but its for them,,lovely truly

Merisi said...

I have been visiting blogs with ABC Wednesday posts for some time. Today PHOTOWANNBE's "Iris" post made me join you. Thank you for the opportunity!

david mcmahon said...

Bravo, Denise. What an honour, what a great validation for every teacher.

May we share your pride?

PS: When my first novel was published, I sent a first edition to my Grade Five teacher, who had encouraged me to read my essays aloud to the class.

See, students NEVER forget.

Jan said...

What a great I post. Love the invitations, and now I'm hungry.

Mrs Mac said...

That salmon looks scrummy!

I LOVE the butterfly card!!!

And..can you guess who forgot what day it was??? LOL

Andrea said...

The food looks delicious. Love the invitations too.

Kim said...

you are always so creative with your choices. You sure did make me hungry.

VP said...

Great meal and story Denise!

Barbara said...

Very good post - I love teaching too! So satisfying to hear about the visit to the gallery. Thanks for the invitation - the meal looks wonderful.

Alan said...

Sounds like a great tradition - the fancy Saturday meal. My wife likes to cook as well and we've been branching out into more exotic tastes and flavors - it can be quite exciting! :)

Diana S said...

YA I made it to Alphabet Wednesday. I missed last week and was sooo disappointed. Glad to be back. Pretty Invitation!

paintandink said...

Wow, what a great story! Moments like that are so satisfying, are they not?

I vote for fresh flowers, fresh linens, and someone else to change all the beds over and do the laundry!

Katney said...

I am so blind--I didn't see your poll earlier, so I came back and answered it. I said every day, and that is not totally accurate but close. I am constantly combing through my photo files, watching for opportunities, and screeching to a halt to point my camera out the window--well, not quite the last. But between ABC, Photo Hunt, and Odd Shots, my mind is always on the lookout for images. I am not ready for J, because some photos I want to use are on a CD that is not working on my computer. I have to try it on a couple of others and may have to do a recue job on the old computer if it will boot up. In addition, we will take some pictures this weekend on a trip for that purpose. Well, we wouldn't go JUST for the J, but... I do have something waiting for KLMPQRSTVand W, though I am not quite sure what I was thinking with that W. there are a couple of missing letters there that I have to work on.

lime said...

here from david's. bravo for ian!!! how wonderful!

Anonymous said...

But .... I haven't done A-H and I is the first I've heard about this alphabet thing! Waaaa!

I, too, am a teacher. The quickest way to raise my ire is to disrespect my students.

Anonymous said...

Hello from Istanbul!

And thank you for your brilliant idea of gathering photobloggers around the world! :)

And also for your kind invitation to dinner! :) The food must be delicious! The photos are great!

I also believe that it is very important to teach young children various forms of arts. I have started to work as volunteer in a foundation in Istanbul for this project. We take children of poor families to different museums in the city, we show them paintings, sculptures, photographs, we talk to them about art, history and history of art, and try to give them the love of art, try to make them conscious citizens.

Best regards,

Muguet