
A rose so rare, one of it's kind,
love and beauty a mother, yes! mine.
A rose without thorns, not a petal was torn,
a perfect rose stood straight and tall,
my mother was the most precious of all.
A rose that survived the worst kind of weather and yet the most delicate ever,
a rose with a fragrance,
there could be know other,
you see this rose is my Mother.
A rose is picked and put to dry,
the beauty is still there,
it never dies.
(Sue Horley)
I would have to say I am a proactive person, that is as not being a reactive one.
Mother's Day is here.
No beating about the bush, no getting away from the truth...I miss my mum.
Despite it being over 13 years since she died, I miss her.
I miss the fun we shared, the laughs and the relationship we had.
She adored Jon, loved our home and more than anything else, was proud of me.
Me.....!
Strangely enough, just writing that last sentence has brought tears to my eyes.
Today, I am cooking dinner for the family.
My Mother in Law, Sister in law & her partner, my 3 nephews, Jon & I.
Proactive!
I will be the perfect hostess....well I will do my best.
Jon is working, he worked all day yesterday and is working this morning.
I did most of the veg prep yesterday and the meat cooked during the night, it is just resting now.
The menu I hear you ask?
Melon
*******
Roast Beef with Dijon Mustard
Roast Lamb stuffed with Red Currants
Parsnips & Sweet Potato Roast
Carrots & Green Beans
Greens - (Broccoli, Sprouts & Cabbage)
Champ Potatoes
Yorkshire Puddings
Red Onion Gravy
********
Profiterole Gateaux
Fresh Fruit
The lamb is a bit of an experiment....will let you know.
When I say I am a proactive person...what is the alternative?
If I had been a reactive person I would have done nothing, just gone on and on about missing mum.
But that is not the person I am, why?
because I have the mere marrow in my bones of my mum.
And we don't go on!
We roll our sleeves up, get our head to the grindstone and deal with matters!
and believe me.....I have a table of 8 people to cater for.
So, I can't sit here all day gassing! (Now, where does that phrase come from?)
Yes Mum!
Have a good day everybody.
Miss you mum!
11 comments:
I hope you enjoy your day :-) and save a bit of time for yourself.
xxx
Happy Mothering Sunday. I hope all goes well with the menu! That is a beautiful origami rose and an equally beautiful poem.
Happy BYB Sunday.
My mum used to say that too Denise! I have quite a few "mum-isms" which seem to pop up regularly. The meal sounds fabulous - are there doggy-bags too?!
Dear Denise, your feelings echo mine! {{HUGS}}
Wonderful, wonderful thoughts, Mrs. Nesbitt, as well as the poem and the menu. Thanks for having it all there for me to read as I glanced up at my own dear sweet Mama, sitting in her recliner, working a crossword puzzle. We're blessed by whatever time we have with them, for sure. I spent several hours yesterday, cooking ahead for the week--my younger son Leland put together a meatloaf which I baked in the oven. I made several separate vegetables: Brussels sprouts, zucchini, sweet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes. Today I cooked a great big pot of chili. We're set, like your guests are.
By this time, the dinner will have been eaten, the dishes washed, and you'll all be tucked up in bed... hope you had a lovely Mother's Day.
My mom has been gone for 12 years and I still miss her. I do not know that you ever stop missing mom. Good luck with the lamb and your day.
Our Mother's Day in the States is not until May. But like you I'm someone who has to get stuck in and DO something when things get tough. But I don't cook. Your dinner sounds wonderful! Roast lamb... and Yorkshire pudding!
I will be posting a photo especially for you in the next two or three days. As soon as I saw it I thought of you and took the photo right then and there, just for you.
Happy Mother's day to you!!!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Denise. It is good that you can reflect on the happy times that you shared with your Mum.
I am fortunate to still have my Mum, although I could not be with her on Mother's Day.
I think that however much time passes after the death of a loved one, especially a mother, there is always going to be a sense of loss and that is natural. That bond you shared will never be broken and she will always be a part of you.
Hugs,
Marie x
Saw your post while checking in for ABC Wednesday.Hope you had a nice Mother's Day celebrating it with your family.We won't have Mother's Day in the states till May.I share your feelings in that my mother passed away at the age of 52 back in 1975.I am already 5 years older than she was when she passed away.I've lived half of my life already without my mother.Guess I have been thinking about it more since my dad passed away the day after Christmas.Thanks for hosting ABC Wednesdays.I really do enjoy it and have met new friends through it.
Nancy
Post a Comment