5.4.08

Saturday, Photohunt.


Glass!




"Art is the window to man's soul.
Without it, he would never be able to see beyond his immediate world;
nor could the world see the man within."

Claudia Lady Bird Johnson




These are the windows in our village church, St. Michaels.



People come from far and wide to see the Norman Architecture within the church.



It is a small church but an important feature of village life.




We are within walking distance of the church.
Our house just visible in the background.



We have walked down this path many times in the seventeen years we have lived here.
Funerals, weddings, christenings.

A time when all of the village come together.


Being a farming community the harvest Festival is always well attended, and relevant.
In the course of the year we witness the many tractors and farm vehicles travelling through the village. Indeed we live opposite a farm and can see the daily chores which have to be undertaken.
Right now, each night when all is quiet we hear the sounds of the newly born lambs.



The church is very popular for weddings.
Our local chimney sweep, though now retired was married here many years ago....the story was featured in the local newspaper some time ago.

You can read it here

It is quite appropriate to read about the snow on a day like today as snow is forecast.
It is quite ironic really.
We have had wonderful weather all week, but as jon walked through the door yesterday, ie as the weekend commenced, the rain came....and continued throughout the night.

So.....not sure what the weekend holds in store really!

We'll just have to see.

To see more Photohunter's visit TN Chick

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a nice virtual tour of your place. The stained glass windows look great.

jams o donnell said...

Great shots. I love stained glass. I also love country churches (luckily the suburbs end not far from where I live!) Have a great weekend

Mia said...

Beautiful glass window and a very pretty church!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love stained glass in churches, especially the older ones. Makes the places more cozy and solemn.

Hootin Anni said...

Gorgeous photos of the stained glass!!! And what a treat you've shared with all the extra photos. Beautiful, just beautiful!!

My 'glass' is shared, I sure hope you can find time to drop by for a visit if you haven't already.

Happy Saturday to you, and happy hunting!!!

Anonymous said...

A very fine window. I am side -tracked by the walk though. Brings back other English village memories.

Dragonstar said...

A lovely informative post, thank you.
I'm very fond of Norman architecture.

Anonymous said...

Hi D...time to get your snow shoes out again, perhaps! What we used to call a lambing storm down here. Our ewes liked to start lambing at 3a.m., so; jeans over jamas; hub and I took it in turns to go out to the yards. brrr...freezy!
Doesn't the Stained glass filter light in such a unique manner, quite beautiful. Our village area is famous as The Pilgrim Fathers starting point, and has a very similar and ancient church too.
Lv. Mrs.G.H.

CherryPie said...

Lovely photos I especially like the top stained glass window and the path with the gate. I really enjoy the description that goes with your photos :-)

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Thanks for sharing the views of your beautiful place.

Have a great weekend.

Pappy said...

Saw you were by for a visit. I'm a poet and not really a photographer. Cheap equipment and quick shots are my photographic specialty. I Like to look at interesting photos others take however. Come by anytime.

david mcmahon said...

Great minds think alike, Denise. Guess what I posted too!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful community you live in. I love your little church down the lane. The windows are fantastic and you got beautiful photographs of them...
Ha! I have a window from a church in Painswick today that we visited in 2004. Happy weekend to you...

Sarge Charlie said...

This is post of the day in my mind, I also read the link and left a comment. You live in a place of beauty.

Anonymous said...

Your shots of the stained glass are beautiful. Although I'm not a religious person, I have a fondness for old churches, especially their windows. Have a lovely weekend.

Pixiedust said...

Lovely pics of the windows. What a lovely village you live in.

Karuema said...

such old and little village churches are wonderful...a lot of stories around and feelings and emotions... I like this post very much...

Katney said...

Waht a delight to get to visit your village and the village church. Thank you for the tour.

Andrea said...

The stained glass windows are beautiful but I really love the photos with the gate and the old church.

Unknown said...

Hi Denise. I saw that we posted at same time..that was fun :-)
Great shots. I love stained glass.
Very good post for the theme.
Happy Weekend.

imac said...

Nice one, I was going to post the same - glad I didnt now haha,, great minds eh?

come and see my Glass.

jmb said...

What a beautiful church and lovely stained glass window. So many different ones this week. Have a good weekend.

i beati said...

I felt I was there in person

Carver said...

Great take on the theme. I enjoyed learning about the Church. Beautiful shots inside and out, and the stained glass is great for the theme.

Barbara said...

That is a charming little church, the stained glass windows are lovely. Thanks for the tour.