Photo of the Day
A171 Yesterday!
A171 Yesterday!
Luck
Luck is a dividend of sweat.
The more you sweat, the luckier you get.
Ray Kroc
Luck is a dividend of sweat.
The more you sweat, the luckier you get.
Ray Kroc
This chap is one hell of a lucky guy!
Yesterday he pulled right out in front of our pick-up.
We were travelling home and as we passed the carpark his pal pulled out first.
I sighed but then he did the same.
He didn't even check his mirror or do what all decent bike riders do...
it is called the "life saver"
I see Jon do it EVERY time he goes to pull away.
He turns his head as far left as possible, to survey the view, to make sure between the time of checking his mirror and pulling away that no vehicle has crept up.
Jon is bike aware when he is driving the pick-up or my car.
This chap should be thankful it was Jon who was behind him as he pulled out!
Why? Because Jon EXPECTED him to pull out....so he drove accordingly!
He let the chap know he was there by pipping his horn.
The chap had no idea we were there.
I happened to have my camera on my knee, hence the picture.
My ODD SHOT for Monday...Odd because this guy had alucky break!
To see more odd shots this Monday visit Katney
We were on our way home after a drive out to capture my first bridge project photograph, as hosted by Rune.

We live in an area of great industrial heritage.
Yesterday he pulled right out in front of our pick-up.
We were travelling home and as we passed the carpark his pal pulled out first.
I sighed but then he did the same.
He didn't even check his mirror or do what all decent bike riders do...
it is called the "life saver"
I see Jon do it EVERY time he goes to pull away.
He turns his head as far left as possible, to survey the view, to make sure between the time of checking his mirror and pulling away that no vehicle has crept up.
Jon is bike aware when he is driving the pick-up or my car.
This chap should be thankful it was Jon who was behind him as he pulled out!
Why? Because Jon EXPECTED him to pull out....so he drove accordingly!
He let the chap know he was there by pipping his horn.
The chap had no idea we were there.
I happened to have my camera on my knee, hence the picture.
My ODD SHOT for Monday...Odd because this guy had alucky break!
To see more odd shots this Monday visit Katney
We were on our way home after a drive out to capture my first bridge project photograph, as hosted by Rune.

We live in an area of great industrial heritage.

What I enjoy about any photograph project, including ABC Wednesday is the spontanious approach I try to keep. So rather than go through my folders I wanted to take a photograph of a local bridge yesterday, so we went into Middlesbrough to capture Albert Bridge. It was built the same time as Middlesbrough Railway Station,by the North Eastern Railway Company, is one of the town's few remaining nineteenth Century structures. The station officially opened for passenger transport in 1877 and was described as "one of the largest and finest on the North Eastern System", the building, costing over £100,000, was designed by William Peachey, a prominent and respected architect.
The structure remained intact for over 60 years until 3rd August, 1942 when two German bombs made a direct hit on the centre of the building. The roof was almost totally destroyed and a train standing at platform one, about to leave for Newcastle was completely wrecked.
This video clip features Ian Stubbs.
I went to college with Ian.
When I was looking up about the bridge I came across this local story
no relation I hasten to add.....but really wanting to become a driving instructor??????? LOL!
I am looking forward to this photograph project, it will be an opportunity to share our industrial heritage.

30 comments:
I must thank you for this post. I am "an Anglophile" who is also interested in history, and I have myself been impressed by all the various bridges and railway stations I have seen in the places I have visited in the UK. The picture of the bridge, the video with the story behind and your own written words made it in whole that was very impressive.
Thank you.
I tried to find out by surfing the net what (Albert) NER (Bridge) meant before reading all your text.
North East Railway of course (as you write)
Another example of the importance of combining text and photos
Regarding the odd shot I am glad I have my car in weather like that. Hopefully it was safe to shoot photos when driving
A very well put together post including the video although I have trouble with the sound on these clips (probably my sound card is a bit basic).
last night's snow has gone here and there is blue sky but I expect we've not seen the last of it yet.
Ooo Dat Dare - whos that there haha, all in the mist, great odd shot.
Like your Bridge too.
My Bridge is also up.
The motorbike shot in the atrocious weather, could have been here, marvellous photo.
I am trying to curb my bridge photograhpy, but appreciated your super shot and the info.
Wow. I like the photos you posted today. Nice work.
Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio where you can see a tiny fly on a honey bee's wing.
Two great posts! Yes, that guy is lucky he pulled out in frot of your Jon, someone who is careful.He will probably end up being hurt or hurting someone else.You did good with the shot!
I love your bridge photo and history, it is very interesting.
That's a great shot of the motorcycle...too bad you had to have a close call to get it. As for the bridge, you've awakened a desire in me to make a collection of railroad stations before they're all gone. By the way, I appreciate your including the background of your photo's subject.
Good for you posting about your area's heritage. Bravo! It's great to keep the history alive. Besides, it makes interesting photos and reading. ;-)
Nice photo,and I think it was vere interesting to read about it,and look at the video of the bombing of this railway station.Hard to hear though,because of the ecco you heard two voices at the same time.
Excellent post, photos, information, the video, well done.
Nice phot! I like the text and video too. Very interesting. I think you did a great job on this:) I also wish I could be there on that bike in the rain;)
Wow, nice shots ;)
Thank You and welcome fellow bridge-builder :-D
It is interesting how much one learns through this journey through the project! Great local history, history is an important bridge, as well as the building itself. One is building an understanding, the other one a possible road to take ;-)
hmmm How did You have time to see that the MC driver was a male? :-D
I always wonder about people that ride on motorcycles as they seem to have the idea that everyone should be watching out for them, never thinking that they are hard to see. Yes he was odd and lucky. Looks like a lot of rain coming down as well, which makes it more dangerous for all.
Interesting history of that bridge also bridges the gaps of information worldwide about these important structures!
I do not envy the people in your odd shot. Good thing you were on the look out for them!
Great odd shot Denise. Sometimes its so scary when bikers don't look and scoot between cars. They can be hard to see. Love your pictures.
That chap is living dangerously....!
Your bridge theme is very entertaing and topical. ;)
Do you know the bus driver?
There are some sad memories around in our countries after the second world war....
I love to drive motorcycle but I drive seldom in weather like that.
Very good and interesting bridge post Denise. Well done as usual.
Oh Wow! I love that top photograph :-)
Two great post!!!
The bridge is great & so is the motorcycle in the snow.
You have a very interesting & entertaining blog!
Thanks for your visit.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying, "Hi".
Boy were theese guys (or chaps as you call them):) lucky, and it was raining on top of that. Great great picture.
I should always carry my camera around with me, I miss out on a lot of great pictures that way.
As an ex-two-wheeler, I agree with you about his luck - We call bike riders "Temporary Australians".
Great shot.
I had to enlarge the bridge photo to look. At first it looked like a line of dominoes to me. I think it is time to rest for a while.
I could not find anything that says Dorman Long built the Forth Rail bridge, they did however build the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle
Nice picture of a spescial bridge..
Well done :)
That's quite an Odd Shot Denise! That incredibly lucky man should have been taking more care than usual in those weather conditions, not less! Well done Jon for being so aware.
Post a Comment