8.4.08

ABC Wednesday.........

To see how to play ABC Wednesday look here




L IS FOR......

LIBRARY!


Each Monday the Mobile Library Van pulls up outside the Village Hall at 3pm.
It stays for about 25 minutes.
There are about 6 of us who use it regularly.
It is a place we catch up with what's been happening in our own little worlds.
Sue, Phil the dairy farmer's wife.....likes Thrillers. Her mum was out of hospital so she was on her way to visit.
Ena, The retired pig farmers wife likes romances and general fiction. Ena is always first on the van, she had left by the time I arrived, but it is her daughter who runs the racing stables.
Irene, a farming widow (arable) likes Mills & Boon romances. Irene cooks the most amazing cakes. Last Christmas I won one of her home-made Christmas Puddings....Awesome!
Trish, a librarian enjoys crime & thrillers too. last year Trish's husband bought a motorbike. We often go out as a group, when the weather is fine.
Anne, my neighbour again is a Crime or Thriller fan. I often have a cuppa with Anne. Her husband and I exchange funny e-mails. They have just celebrated their Ruby Wedding Anniversary.





I can see when the van pulls up from our drive.
It is a focus for many of us in the village.



The selection of books changes regularly and I can honestly say the service we receive is superb!
If a book is wanted a request is put forward.
A couple of weeks ago I placed a request.
The Library van had not been for a while, due to roadworks and bad weather, so I was delighted when the book I ordered arrived....





LOL!

Yes, our very own ABC contributor! David McMahon!

I always leave my ABC choice as late as possible so if anything spontaneous comes along I can accomodate it.....and this was a perfect example.

It was so nice to read the lovely comments about the scenes from our village, in particular the church.

Do check out my photographs from yesterday's post.



I am writing this on my old laptop.
I heard my new one is in the shop and is just having some programs loaded, so I should be collecting it later on.....in the meanwhile I am still organising and sorting the endless photographs I have!

Watch this space!
Happy ABC Wednesday!

I am compiling an ABC Blogroll.
If you would like to be included please e-mail me, with your blog address



denisedotnesbittatbtinternetdotcom

BLOGROLL TO DATE:-

100 comments:

Berit T said...

Love your L!

http://berittjosvoll.blogspot.com

Anne-Berit said...

Hallo Mrs.Nesbitt,mine is up.I hope I have done right.I have send you an E-mail as you asked.-Your L-is great.I am a big user og our Library.I love to read books,and I can`t buy all the books I want to read.Have a wonderful Wednesday:o)

VP said...

Hi Denise - we have a mobile library visit our area too!

I also have a copy of David's book - Amazon wanted me to pay over £70 :o

David got me sorted with a contact in India and it cost all of six quid including postage :)

Susan said...

I love hearing about your town~while I read I feel as if I can visualize how amazing it is there! Love the picture of your dog in the snow!

VP said...

Oh forgot to say - mine's up too...

imac said...

Like a good book, your post is --great.

mine is up now.
http://imac-photosfromthemindseye.blogspot.com/

Kostas said...

Very beautiful post also and the comments, marvellous the photographs

Anonymous said...

Hi
You are so lucky to have a library come to you. I remember the "bookmobile" from when I was a child....but funding has eliminated them here in my area of California.

I think my ABC link will work by clicking on my name.

Kathy b

Anonymous said...

A very interesting "L" post. I've never seen a mobile library in my town but it must be really very useful.

My "L" post is up too!

Please visit the below mentioned address and use Babelfish for translation in English.

http://1-brin-de-muguet.blogspot.com/2008/04/l-is-for-lion.html

Anonymous said...

My ABC is up. When I was in elementary school we would have a bookmobile come to our school. This was one of my most favorite parts of school. How very cool to have your own mobile library come up the Lane!! :)

Rose said...

Your post today brought back some memories, which I might share at a later date on my blog, so I enjoyed this post. But I went back over some of your past posts and wow, you have some shots I just totally love. Going to have to try to find the time to go back through it all, cause I don't want to miss any pictures.

Pernille said...

Hello:) Mine is up!
I will send you an e-mail now.
I hope thats ok!

Very nice L-photo you have to day. We have an mobile library too. Thats very nice and many children are very happy for that.
Have a wonderful wednesday:)

Anonymous said...

Mine's up.
I,m very fan of library. So I like your L-letter. Nice done!

Have a nice wednesday:)

Unknown said...

Hi Denise!
A very interesting "L" post and lovely photos.


Mine is up - John`s Photoblog

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Lovely to read what books each person likes - I feel as if I know all the people now!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Lovely to read what books each person likes - I feel as if I know all the people now!

KaiBlue said...

Aloha Denise,
Please add me to your ABC blog roll, I'll post my "L" in the AM..

Love and PEace, Kai xx

Anonymous said...

Your mobile library is marvelous. How exciting to get to check out david's book! My ABC post is up.

kRiZcPEc said...

Library truck of wisdom. Thanks for sharing, here's mine:
Liquid dream

Anonymous said...

We have the same L! Who would have thought of that!

Michele said...

I have enjoyed your L post this week...

Mine is up now...

The Rocky Mountain Retreat

Daryl said...

Hey! I am traveling but I set up Blogger's auto post and my entry will be up as of 12:01 a.m. New York time...

http://onthem104.blogspot.com/

AVCr8teur said...

A moving library mobile is a great way to encourage people to read. I guess it's working with your thriller-fiction friends.

AVCr8teur's ABC Wednesday

Lynette said...

Great L, Mrs. Nesbitt. Libraries in whatever form are so grand.

Thanks to Neva in Inverness, Illinois, I have the link to my blog here for everyone.

Portland Oregon Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

Very smart way to borrow some books! My L:s are out now!

Gordon said...

A good choice for L. My wife works in a library and I didn't even think of it! We have a mobile library in our council area too.

My post is up; I will send you an email now. thanks for the work you are doing.

Neva said...

I posted my library the first time around.....this one was more challenging! Yours is nice...I loved the mobile libraries when I grew up!
My "L" is up here.

Paulie said...

Now that's an intimate library! I didn't even think of it and I passed ours today. We have Bookmobile service for places out in the country.

Mine is up also.

I already sent you my addy but just in case you need it again, I will write to you again.

PostcardsfromPaulie

Leslie: said...

Hi Denise! This is FANTASTIC! The reason it is fantastic for me is because I always watch Midsommer Murders and Cully, Det. Inspector Barnaby's daughter drives the library van. We don't have anything at all like that here in Canada! It must be fun to look forward to its arrival and get out to choose a book or two along with your friends and neighbours. I'd be there right along with the rest if I lived there. Come and see what I did for L today!

lv2scpbk said...

We have a book mobile too, but I don't ever see it in our neighborhood. My "L" is up now.

My blog is: http://discoverpa.blogspot.com

Petunia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petunia said...

I love books and library so this post is great!

Mine is up!

Petunia's L post

Mari said...

Mine is up!

L - Lotus Flower

Jo said...

I would love to visit a village like yours. I think it would be everything I imagine it to be. I have been through some English villages on the train, but I did not have the opportunity to stop. I would imagine a typical English village is full of characters, too, sort of like an Agatha Christie novel.

My post is up C’est la vie.

Cheers!

Katney said...

Is it Wednesday? LOL, my Wednesday ABC will appear magically at midnight my time. That's less than two hours away, but if I mess with the scheduling now aI don't knwo what will happen to it.

I, too, have been looking for Vegemite Vindaloo. Borders can get it for me for $30--Amazon starts at #57. I found some sources online in India which offer it in papeback for about $8, but I wonder if shipping would double that. I will check the library for Interlibrary Loan.

ArneA said...

a huge gap between your Library bus and the Library in Alexandra, Egypt, designed by "Snøhetta" mentioned yesterday.
Interesting presentation of your book friends. Do they blog

ArneA said...

Of course is my blog up and can be visited here
Sorry I had to use two visits

Kisha said...

I love you L. Mine is up

http://proudsahm.blogspot.com/2008/04/abc-wednesday_08.html

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

wow 6.30 and 38 comments already! Great post about the mobile library service.

I'm off to Leeds for the day today, so it may be tonight or Thursday before I get round to looking at everybody else's posts. Leeds though is not my subject. I've gone a bit mad this week and posted Ls on four of my blogs! Hope people don't think I'm being greedy.

Long Meadow Passage at Hyde Daily Photo

Lovers Alley at Old Hyde

Lowry Centre at Ackworth born, gone West

Lights along the pier at Sithenah

at least we haven'y got snow this morning - see you all later.

Rune Eide said...

The value of a library can't be underestimated. I learned at en early age the value of our local ones - they taught me how and what to read.

A great L!

My L is here

hpy said...

A library is very useful. We have one in town, but I never have the time to go theren it's open on such strange times.

My L is for love.

Paulie said...

My email came back to me as undeliverable and I put in the dots instead of writing that out. I did give you my addy before. Please let me know if I should try to send again. Thanks!

Juliana RW said...

Great choice for L...My son and me also love to go to Library :D

My ABC : L theme Thanks.

I would like to add at ABC blogroll as well.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

I almost did library myself, my own library of books in my computer room.
But my L is up
outhousecapitalofcanada.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

A good L!
I remember the library van visiting my childhood village, not sure it the county has the service now.

My L is now posted

FO - 2 said...

Cute story about your Mobile Library. I can tell that you are interested in and care about your neighbours.
The Mobile Library here visits our island once a month. The girls always borrows books there. It stops by the school.
We vist the Library regularly as well. Coming home with lots of books, CD`s and DVD`s. ;)
I like to read for the girls. They read books themselves also. Every evening.
I have to look for David`s book also. ;)
My L post is up.

Anonymous said...

Where I used to live we also had a mobile libary. For those who can not go to the libary them selves or if you live to fare away, this is fantastic.
Liked your historie today.

My ABC-wednesday L is up here!

Anonymous said...

My first time with my new domain...
Anyway, L is for log

Unknown said...

hi
wilma winn one prize in the dreams photo contest...
congrat...
view in
http://diarioverdi.blogspot.com/

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hey dear Denise,

WHAT A GREAT THEME FOR ABC i like reading too and its a great idea that this libary buses exist, I don't know this writer yet, but I'll have a look,Have a great ABC
***
I join ABC wednesday too here's my adress : 'www.joannwalraven.blogspot.com'
Come and visit my ABC , I have a show you wouldn't like to miss:)
***

see you on my blog:) have a good ABC

DeeJay said...

Nice original 'L'
The Library vehicle looks pretty original too with an S registration plate, I hope it manages to continue its journeys for you all.

Mine is up

HildeS/Frøken Fryd said...

Wonderful L post from you:)
Mine is up too.

CG said...

As a librarian, I thoroughly approve!!

imac said...

You'll have to Bear with me on this one.haha.

Dragonstar said...

I hope you get your new computer very soon. Organising photos is such a daunting task - I only do it when I absolutely must!

My L is up, and I'd like to add that my son Stephen has posted his. As many of you will know, Stephen is severely dyslexic and has to use software to read and write. The writing part has stopped working, so I'm writing for him at the moment. His link to this page is on the ABC part of his post.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I applaud the fact you use the mobile Library. We need to keep libraries alive. Good use of the Letter L.We have to think of something with L for later today.

Miss_Yves said...

Mrs nesbitt, mine is up!
(posted after"fleurs et arbustes printaniers")
..and one of my subjecttoday is ..."library"!
(The link is my photo )
I love your "l"!
Many users are very fond of thrillers !
Are you a second "miss Marple" ?

Miss Yves

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, it is just the stuff for a novel! Perfect.

Mine's up.

Simba and Jazzi said...

What a lovely village you live in.

Simba xx

Digital Flower Pictures said...

We don't have the mobile library anymore, either. I loved the monthly look into your village. I sure did love living in England.

My post is up. It is a flower and some interesting bark.

Happy ABC!

Diana S said...

YA! I got here early -before work - for a change, but I won't be able to look at everyone's photo's until after work. Mrs. Nesbitt, my favorite place is the library too! You story, however, is as good as a cozy mystery. your group sounds wonderful. you could have added your Sunday 'Luck' photo too. I LOVED the photos of your village. what a wonderful place you live in.

Diana S said...

fooey, I was so busy talking about your place I forgot to leave my link...
Adventuring through Life

david mcmahon said...

Wow, Denise, I SO DID NOT expect that!!

May I just say, very humbly, how touched I am by your kindness.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Anonymous said...

I so remember the Book Mobile.
I am new to ABC Wednesday. I have lurked for some time now and thought that I would join in the fun.

Unknown said...

Hey, we have similar "L's"

http://shelbycountymuses.blogspot.com/

Andrea said...

Library is a good "L" post. I will have to check in my local library to see if there are any David McMahon's books.

Andrea said...

Forgot to post that my "L" post is now available at: http://thoughtsbyandrea.blogspot.com/

DeeJay said...

Hi Mrs Nesbitt, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the tantalising '461 Ocean Boulevard' comment

I live in Kent by the way.

DeeMom said...

Mine is up

Like the Libary idea...Library Science was my other under grad Major...

Also I have again tried to e- mail you using the address shown : for some reason it STILL will NOT go through..

kml said...

Excellent post - we have one in the next town over and it is always a welcome visit!


KML's ABC

Jan said...

This is a lovely L post! A library van, what a great idea. I postedmy L's.

Marie said...

Coucou Mrs. Nesbitt, bravo for your choice. I love libraries. I spent a lot of time in them, in Montpellier.

I have chosen to post about "laugh" today :-))

http://montpellierdailyphoto.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

I miss mobile libraries. We used to have them come by our daycare when I was little.

Mine is up: http://www.kimberpic.blogspot.com/

Silly Goose said...

Hi Denise,
I'm late today but I can see by your post that you'll totally understand as I was up last night...attending a board meeting of my local friends of the LIBRARY. ;-)


My L-post is up http://catch-a-falling-star24.blogspot.com/

Kjersti said...

Mine is up.

I am from Norway, and I am new on abc wednesday. I hope you'll make a link to my page.
Abc wednesday seems like lots of fun. Your L is a nice place to visit. :o)

My address is:
http://kjerstishjorne.blogspot.com/

In English it means Kjersti's corner.

Nessa said...

I like murder mysteries and the library and David.

Janet said...

I wanted to do library for my L but I've had another bad week. This time a tummy bug so I had to resort to a photo from my personal albums.
Your L is one of the things that makes me happy. I wouldn't know what to do without the library! Great choice!!

nancy said...

L is for Late. Mine is ready at
http://morthanenough.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/just-for-you-a-new-herbal-article/
Library is my favorite place. good job.
Nancy

raf said...

Great post, Mrs. N. on the mobile library. Thanks for sharing.
Had planned to join in on the ABC fun last week and missed it, but have just posted one at Port Townsend Daily Photo.

Anonymous said...

It is funny that you should do library, I am on the way now to my local one. Wanted to take a minute and let you know my post is up for this week.
Thanks again for hosting the ABC.
I will email you later with my information so you can add me to the blog roll.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

This is such a special post. It really gives me a feeling about where you live and the people in your village. It sounds like a wonderful place with lots of community. My L is for logs is up. You can get there by clicking here.

Paulie said...

Well, my emails keep shooting back to me this week. So here is my addy.

http://postcardsfrompaulie.blogspot.com/

I emailed you last week with it and it never came back so maybe you should check your mail that gets sorted because of spam etc. I don't have that function but many do.

The way I have made my blogrolls is to copy the url from when I visit people.

Shammickite said...

Vegemite Vindaloo.... it doesn't get much yummier than that!

BumbleVee said...

I'm late, I'm late!! and not for the Mad Hatter's Tea either....but for Word..... whew.... it is already lunch time here...

Oh, well, I sure didn't jump the gun anyway...hahahha...

how wonderful to have a library service in an out of the way spot... especially for those who prefer not to drive ...or perhaps can't drive.. I wonder if we have such a thing around here? I have no idea as I live right in the city, but I suppose there must be some such service. Sadly, I live about 2 mins from the library and can't remember the last book I read. Probably some Robert Ludlum from yonks ago.... now it is doll and bear magazines... and blogs... and... well,...who has time for books anymore? I really should just take some time to read a good mystery.....I used to love to read as a youngster...

Jane said...

Hello Mrs Nesbitt. Mine is up (at last). It is still Wednesday here!
Loved the library van. It's such a wonderful service. Your pics brought back childhood memories.
xx

Nydia said...

Hello again! By coincidence, one of my photos is of my home library! This is so cool, to have a mobile library around your area! I wish we had it here, it would be a perfect way to create the habit of reading & also meeting new people!
My post is at http://www.bringingupsalamanders.blogspot.com

photowannabe said...

Love the L post. I haven't gotten to the library yet in our new town. Your post encourages me to do that. I love to read, especially historical fiction.

My L post is up now.
http://allredmop.blogspot.com/

naturglede/Randi Lind said...

Love your L-post. Mine is up fore the first time. Have a nice week:)

david mcmahon said...

My L post is up - hope you enjoy the tale and the photographs!

nonizamboni said...

Greetings!
My 'L' post is up at

http://nonizamboniblue.blogspot.com/2008/04/never-leave-me.html

Great 'library' post yours!
Thanks.

becky aka theRAV said...

This is like a Double L! LOL So cool you posted David's book. Mine is almost up. Just give me a few more minutes...

CherryPie said...

Sounds like a really fun way to choose books :-)

Suburbia said...

Hi
Mine's up...only just made it. It's about 11.30pm here! Just back from holidays. Thanks for hosting!

Barbara said...

Wonderful to have a mobile library! I frequently use the library, I am lucky my office is above the library so I don't have far to go. We have to be careful where we park our cars on Wednesdays as the library van for the surrounding villages comes to collect/return the books.

gma said...

Love libraries!!!!!
See my L @
www.adesertgarden.blogspot.com

Sandy Kessler said...

add me to blogroll if you can

Sandy Kessler said...

ibeati Spring Lake Florida

Patty said...

I don't see my name yet, but I sent you an email with my information

Thanks
Patty
http://autumnsmeadow.blogspot.com/

Mrs Mac said...

Hullo!!! My "L" post is up at last- L for LATE! Hahaa! Because of our holiday!
Hey ho!

Stacey Olson said...

I wouldl ike to be included in ABC Wednesday. Thanks so much. great M shot for you today