6.4.08

It's Sunday, all day!

Photobucket "The trouble with gardening is that it does not remain an avocation. It becomes an obsession." Phyllis McGinley (1905 - 1978) US author, poet
This is part of the dry stone wall, at the side of our drive. Our house was built in 1956 on what was the village green. many of our older neighbours remember playing on the green and visiting the old stone cottage which stood on the green itself, in its own orchard. Scattered around the garden are many old stones and rocks which we have used in various garden features. Many we have uncovered over the years as we have dug various beds and plots. The stone wall is one such uncovering. I spent one whole summer digging out the grass which covered the wall completely. As you can see this is a place where I have planted succulants. You will also make out the grass in the background, doing its best to creep back into the scheme of things............or so it may think! I will be out there when the weather warms up, removing every piece of the unwelcome grass. I will also be planting some more succulants this year and dividing the established plants too. Eventually I want every available suitable space to be home to a succulant. This is only one project! The garden itself is one continous evolving project.... there is always something to do, to plan, to wait for and then to enjoy! I found this poem by a Denise, so I knew it would be a good one! LOL! The words seemed so appropriate!
The Garden Wall Bricks of the wall, so much older than the house - taken I think from a farm pulled down when the street was built - narrow bricks of another century. Modestly, though laid with panels and parapets, a wall behind the flowers - roses and hollyhocks, the silver pods of lupine, sweet-tasting phlox, gray lavender - unnoticed - but I discovered the colors in the wall that woke when spray from the hose played on its pocks and warts - a hazy red, a grain gold, a mauve of small shadows, sprung from the quiet dry brown - archetype of the world always a step beyond the world, that can't be looked for, only as the eye wanders, found. Denise Levertov

12 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

I'm a garden lover too and you have made me feel guilty about the weeding and tidying up I need to do.
The trouble is, blogging is an obsession too!

CherryPie said...

What a lovely project :-) I need to get something done with my garden this year!!

Katney said...

I am fighting grass in the garden beds, too. Weeding is not my forte, but I try to keep it at least a little tidy. I sometimes battle weeds by planting wildflowers and calling the weeds part of the planting.

ArneA said...

We visited our garden house this morning in +2 C and rain / soft snow. Nothing made me want to do anything but shoot a photo of growing rhubarb.
Regarding how you decide ABC Wed future, I will support you in everything, but first of all think about yourself and the joy of blogging. Being gatekeeper, others can, if they want.
join Broer som Binder tomorrow

Cait O'Connor said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, how did you find me? You have a lovely blog, I will definitely be calling again as you have all the things I love: pics, poems, music, dogs, cats and more.
Too cold to garden today unfortunately, snow flurries and biting winds.
I love your header photo of your dog on the sofa.

Barbara said...

Well worth digging out from all the grass. I love the poem.

Rune Eide said...

I am sure that your garden will be a place of beauty before the year is much older. I hope you post pictures of any old stone walls that you find! I have myself spent the weekend at our own cottage, so no English posting by me the last couple of days (but I have take at least 50 pictures...)

PS I saw your comment with ArneA. I think making a blog-roll for ABC-W is a great idea.

CG said...

Your wall is a great project!

Jane Hards Photography said...

My garden now belongs to my birds.
I shall email you with ome useful info for your TT visit.

Anonymous said...

What a neat post. I love rocks, but we have to get them from the river. Have a great week.

BumbleVee said...

that's a great idea to plant succulents in the dry rock wall.... maybe I could even try a few in my blocks I have in some area.... never thought of them... although it will be some time yet til we see any greenery...it is all brown and dry and ...uhm....dead looking out there....oh, well... still time to make a few more bunnies..lol....

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

My brother in law lost a leg in an augument with a bus many years ago, maybe he should have followed the same rule. I always give bikes lots of room on the road.
The Albert bridge is very fancy looking, it would have been black with all the steel mills going full bore years ago.