Photo of the Day
24.04.08

I have the house cleaning blues
I look around and see so much to do
I look at the walls, the windows, and the floors
I see heaps of dust layered like boards
What I need is a good house cleaning crew
But where to get one, I haven't a clue
I asked for volunteers, but none would relent
Their community spirit, it seems, had been spent
I could wish for an occasional hurricane
For me, that may not be such a bad thing
I could raise the windows and open the doors
And be done with these house cleaning chores
But hurricanes don't occur where I live
So its left up to me to clean this crib
I have devised a plan to get the job done
Since I can no longer depend on anyone
My plan is as simple as it can be
One that is not very taxing on me
My walking shoes I will lace up tight
And from this nightmare I will take flight
Ellen Bailey
We seem to be going through a phase at the moment, of domestic appliance breakdown.
On Sunday the washing machine broke down again.Jon investigated and discovered the bracket he made from the artificial hip replacement material had snapped.
This was the third time this particular bracket had broken, so Jon decided to investigate further and find the root of the problem.
A couple of hours later, as Jon had his head literally in the back of the washing machine I came into the kitchen via the patio door.
Now the patio door had been going through a dodgy period ....but as Jon looked so busy I did not like to mention the door.....however I had to really try hard to get the door open....but I managed. Because of all the effort I had used I mentioned to Jon that the door wasn't working properly!
He muttered something about using the porch door instead and continued with the washing machine problem.
I shut the door as best as I could and really struggled with the handle......which somehow managed to come away from the door!
Sorted.......we would use the porch door till Jon had the time to sort out the patio door. It needs new runners...which Jon will make when he has a minute and an available machine at the workshop....and he is busy at the moment!
But no problem.....we could use the porch door.....!
On Monday I was going to the workshop to take Jon's break.
As I shut the porch door there seemed to be some sort of a problem......I couldn't lock the door.
I tried and tried but the barrell inside the handle, the locking mechanism, wouldn't do anything other than spin round when I turned the key.
I arrived at the workshop where Jon was busy working on one of the jobs he has lined up.
I told him about the problem and then returned home......where after a time I managed to lock the porch door.
Great!
Just to make sure it was working I went outside and tried to lock and unlock the door ...
success!
I locked the door again, but this time I couldn't lock it....
for 20 minutes I stood outside, in the cold trying to get into our own house.
No success!
Fortunately I had my mobile phone with me and phoned Jon to tell him the good news.....
and the bad news as I was now locked out!
Jon came home in a matter of minutes and tried to fix the porch door mechanism.
He managed, but then the same thing happened.
"We can always use the patio door in the lounge!" He suggested.
He continued to try and fix the door but it was evident we would need to go to the DIY store for a new mechanism....so we left for the shop....via the patio door in the lounge!
We bought the mechanism but on return realised it was not quite the right one...so we need to return and exchange it......
oh and now the patio door in the lounge seems to have a problem.
It seems to be rather stiff!
Jon thinks it is on the point of breaking!
We do however have one more set of patio doors!
So if you don't hear from me for a few days, it may just be because we are locked in our own house!
However, I need to be able to open the doors as we are expecting a delivery on May 2nd!
My brand new cooker!
Did I tell you the cooker is broken, beyond fixing?
Watch this space!
Talking of spaces, I need to continue with the spring cleaning, ready for the new oven!
Back Soon!
On Sunday the washing machine broke down again.Jon investigated and discovered the bracket he made from the artificial hip replacement material had snapped.
This was the third time this particular bracket had broken, so Jon decided to investigate further and find the root of the problem.
A couple of hours later, as Jon had his head literally in the back of the washing machine I came into the kitchen via the patio door.
Now the patio door had been going through a dodgy period ....but as Jon looked so busy I did not like to mention the door.....however I had to really try hard to get the door open....but I managed. Because of all the effort I had used I mentioned to Jon that the door wasn't working properly!
He muttered something about using the porch door instead and continued with the washing machine problem.
I shut the door as best as I could and really struggled with the handle......which somehow managed to come away from the door!
Sorted.......we would use the porch door till Jon had the time to sort out the patio door. It needs new runners...which Jon will make when he has a minute and an available machine at the workshop....and he is busy at the moment!
But no problem.....we could use the porch door.....!
On Monday I was going to the workshop to take Jon's break.
As I shut the porch door there seemed to be some sort of a problem......I couldn't lock the door.
I tried and tried but the barrell inside the handle, the locking mechanism, wouldn't do anything other than spin round when I turned the key.
I arrived at the workshop where Jon was busy working on one of the jobs he has lined up.
I told him about the problem and then returned home......where after a time I managed to lock the porch door.
Great!
Just to make sure it was working I went outside and tried to lock and unlock the door ...
success!
I locked the door again, but this time I couldn't lock it....
for 20 minutes I stood outside, in the cold trying to get into our own house.
No success!
Fortunately I had my mobile phone with me and phoned Jon to tell him the good news.....
and the bad news as I was now locked out!
Jon came home in a matter of minutes and tried to fix the porch door mechanism.
He managed, but then the same thing happened.
"We can always use the patio door in the lounge!" He suggested.
He continued to try and fix the door but it was evident we would need to go to the DIY store for a new mechanism....so we left for the shop....via the patio door in the lounge!
We bought the mechanism but on return realised it was not quite the right one...so we need to return and exchange it......
oh and now the patio door in the lounge seems to have a problem.
It seems to be rather stiff!
Jon thinks it is on the point of breaking!
We do however have one more set of patio doors!
So if you don't hear from me for a few days, it may just be because we are locked in our own house!
However, I need to be able to open the doors as we are expecting a delivery on May 2nd!
My brand new cooker!
Did I tell you the cooker is broken, beyond fixing?
Watch this space!
Talking of spaces, I need to continue with the spring cleaning, ready for the new oven!
Back Soon!
22 comments:
Crikey, it's a Nesbitt melt-down!
Never rains but it pours (as they say!)
I remember our tumble-drier breaking down, just before the electric kettle, just before the iron went and the tumble-drier again, and the microwave, and then the tumble-drier again!
You seem to have the same problem, but mostly with doors!
3.30pm UPDATE
Well we went to get the correct lock which Jon tried to fit....seems there is a problem with the door mechanism!
Jon now gone to workshop to get a tool as something has snapped off and something else is stuck! Meanwhile the porch door remains handleless ie open to the world!
Jon's words..."Its going to be a difficult one!
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Denise,
I hope this will be the end of your breakdowns. Everything does happen at once it seems.
Kate
This sounds like a saying I saw the other day: so sweetly stitched on a little plaque.
"I used to have a handle on life..but it broke off" !!!
These things always seem to happen in bunches. I hope you're done for awhile!
Kate...we'll see! LOL!
4.15pm UPDATE
Bumblevee,
I will print that off and give it to Jon!
Artisbliss
Well watch this space...
Jonn currently nipped to workshop for superglue!
Still no handle on door. Just a gaping hole!
Goodness, you're having quite the time of it. As we say here, "things happen in threes" so hopefully this will be it for you once you get the 2 doors and the washer fixed. You can celebrate with a great home-cooked meal when the cooker arrives! Or go out! with no worries that you'll get back in! lol ;D
Leslie...
I am plannong my maiden cooking marathon! LOL!
5.45pm UPDATE
Superglue used, now waiting.
Just asked Jon if he was confident...
reply...
"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr NO!"
Wine is chilling, I hope we will be soon! LOL!
Hi :-)
Just a quick comment to say thanks for visiting :-) I am having one of those days when I am going in ever decreasing circles, hence no blog post!!
Your profile is very similar to mine . . . or at least it would be if I ever got around to updating it :-D
Off to have a read :-)
Bye for now . . . Sue :-)
funny but yet not - I just had my entire house replumbed.. sk the only way to face life sense of humor
A lot of things are broken in my apartment too :-))) I hate dealing with that type of problems :-))
Sue,
Hi great to see you here. Another arty lady! Great stuff!
i beati
We do a lot of laughing in this household! LOL!
Marie,
I can fully understand...we tend to put things off...but now everything has built up. I am a great list maker so I am making lists for each room to try and tackle the jobs in a manageable fashion! Well we can but try! LOL!
7.10pm UPDATE
Glue needs to set overnight.
Plank wedged against door!
Fortunately with 2 german shepherds with mighty jaws at the ready I feel we are safe! LOL!
Wine chilling.......off for supper.
Oh! this sounds so like me, everything always breaks goes wrong at the same time and just when you think that is it something else goes wrong!!!
Ahhhhhh!!!!!
Every once in a while Otto and I go through old papers and find lists we made of things to be done years ago - which still aren't done. It takes a real emergency in this big old house to bring out the super-glue or necessitate a rush to the hardware store to find that essential part.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm adding you to my list of favorite blogs to visit.
Why does it seem that when one thing breaks other things in the house began to break as if not wanting the first item to be alone! My hubby knows that tone when I call and ask him when he gets a minute....He just knows something else has fallen a part.
Omigosh! Things always happen that way, don't they? At my daughter's place, the plumbing lines outside and flooded, and they had to dig up the back yard and replace them. Then the computer fried and the washing machine died, all on the same day.
It costs a lot of $$$$ to get these things fixed.
What a huge list of breakdowns, I thought that things were only supposed to come in three's, someone forgot to tell your house that thought!
Oh dear...I shouldn't laugh, but you did make it sound funny!
FRIDAY 7.10 pm UPDATE
Jon worked all afternoon down at the workshop making "a part" fits, but a bit tight....so a bit of filing tomorrow...then.....
we'll see eh! LOL!
When it rains it pours---oh, I meant it metaphorically, but I suppose that's happening to add to it all, too.
Sounds like things break in your house just as they do in ours in groups of three or four or even five!!
Post a Comment