Photo of the Day 18.07.07 Ferry home, September 2005 Enid, Harry, Jon
Just under a year ago we were attending
Harry's funeral.
Harry lost his fight with cancer.
It was discovered, too late.
A transplant would have allowed him to live.
One of the jobs I had on my list was to sort out organ donation cards for both Jon and myself.
Over here in UK the issue of organ donation has been a subject in the news, you can read it here
One girl's story was featured in the news only last night.
Her story really brought home the importance of organ donation
BlogCatalog is bringing attention to this today, Wednesday.
If I had My Life to Live Over
by Erma Bombeck
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's".. more "I'm sorry's"... but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it...and never give it back.
Remember to seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it...but most of all...never give it back!
About the Author: Erma Bombeck was a nationally syndicated humor columnist for more than 32 years. With her gift of humor she wrote of what she knew, being a frazzled housewife and mother in the suburbs. Her books and columns poked fun at real life and gave a voice to suburban housewives everywhere. Much of her work, however, was enjoyed as clipped newspaper columns, sent to a friend or relative, or taped on refrigerators across America. She died April 22, 1996 at the age of 69, from complications following a kidney transplant. She had Polycystic kidney disease, the most common life-threatening genetic disease in the United States.
Over here in UK the issue of organ donation has been a subject in the news, you can read it here
One girl's story was featured in the news only last night.
Her story really brought home the importance of organ donation
BlogCatalog is bringing attention to this today, Wednesday.
If I had My Life to Live Over
by Erma Bombeck
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's".. more "I'm sorry's"... but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it...and never give it back.
Remember to seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it...but most of all...never give it back!
About the Author: Erma Bombeck was a nationally syndicated humor columnist for more than 32 years. With her gift of humor she wrote of what she knew, being a frazzled housewife and mother in the suburbs. Her books and columns poked fun at real life and gave a voice to suburban housewives everywhere. Much of her work, however, was enjoyed as clipped newspaper columns, sent to a friend or relative, or taped on refrigerators across America. She died April 22, 1996 at the age of 69, from complications following a kidney transplant. She had Polycystic kidney disease, the most common life-threatening genetic disease in the United States.
17 comments:
A great post MrsN. I'm of the opinion that organ donation should be allowed unless the person has OPTED OUT; rather than relying on people having to opt in.
Rx
Its an interesting idea, but I still believe you should 'opt in' and the choice should be yours alone, not one made by government!!
A lovely post MrsN xx
I am with Libby on keeping things opt in, mainly because the thought of organ donation always upset/scared me but when Damian was so ill and they said he would need a heart transplant I signed my donor card straight away...maybe not the right way about things but I am grateful that I was allowed the choice.
{{HUGS}} xx
Lots of food for thought here. I am a U.S. baby boomer.
I know it is a subject of debate, I guess I am aware that, should Jon and I die as a result of an accident,whilst out on the motorbike, I would want our organs to be available to save lives. It would be too late to fill in forms then.
Dxx
Great Post MrsNesbitt.
One of my cousins who was a poster child from having Polio has had two or maybe three transplants. My mother-in-law who had a childhood illness that caused her kidney's to fail has had two transplants. They won't give her another one because of her age and now some other issues have arrived. But the transplants have given her a chance to live longer. She is in her 70's. My cousin is in her 50's. They have been given a gift that has added years to their lives. I think it was a choice on the donors part or the families part to donate. Great Post. Have a Lovely Day. Flassie
I firmly believe in the opt out choice.... we have opt in cards at the moment but even if you have signed the opt in card, your family can still go against your wishes.
Ex-Shammickite, how could a family go against such personal wishes? It beggers belief.
I heard of an older lady, a keen environmentalist who had bought her own cardboard coffin. She placed it under her bed. When she died her family would not allow it to be used, as it "Didn't look Good!" Instead, they got the best money could buy...deep mahogony with brass handles. How could they?
When I no longer need my organs, anyone is more than welcome to them.
Erma's list echos lost chances. It touched me deeply. Opt in.
"Sleeping Kitten - Dancing Dog!"
Hi Thanks you for visiting my blog. Had a great time looking round yours felt homesick looking at all the pictures of Whitby. Will be popping back Tricia
Erma Bombeck....one of my hero's
Denise, thanks for bringing an important issue such as organ donation to the fore.
my organ donor wishes are clear and it's printed to my Drivers licence.
Everyone should do this..It's important people..
I love Erma..shes from Dayton and buried here.
Peace n love Kai xx
Hi MrsN I used to love reading Irma
I'm for opting in - it's on my drivers licence too. It's strange how our Western culture still see's death as a taboo subject when it comes to making clear our wishes.
I came over to let you know you have been nominated, fly over to see what for lol Smiles *!*
Erma Bombeck was one of a kind, the world lost someone quite special when she passed away.
XOXO
Thanks for the chance to read Erma's thoughts again. Its been many years since I thought about them. They are all points well taken and i strive to change some of the should'a, would'a and could'a things in my life.
Have a great day Denise.
Sue
Post a Comment