Photo of the Day
09.07.07
Sky yesterday.....
when we set out in our leathers
09.07.07
Sky yesterday.....
when we set out in our leathers
Saturday
"Lets head North!" said Jon...so we went out on the motorbike, wearing our wet weather gear as we expected to get wet!
We weren't disappointed! LOL!
We called into Wickes to check on some window sizes foe the new shed, which is now onto course number 5 at the end of Week3.
The black clouds were ahead, North and so we headed in the direction of the blue sky which happened to take us to Whitby. As we approached the town centre a great fortune took place! The traffic lights turned Red! Fortunate???? Well, as we stopped Jon turned to speak to me and when he lifted up his visor there was a huge bee right next to his eye! I shouted out to him "Jon there's a huge bee next to your eye!" Without a moment of hesitation Jon pulled his helmet off, there in the middle of the traffic and knocked off the bee! Phew! We drove round to the square. We had lunch of soup and roll at the Whistlestop Cafe and met up with some biking friends.
I had decided to cook Tuna steaks for dinner so we drove round to my favourite fishmongers, The Whitby Catch.
Whitby was heaving and with no parking, well no legal parking just disabled spaces and loading bays...which were full, yes of people who were not disabled or loading! I noticed this as we went round the block...and also noticed a couple of traffic wardens, I smiled!
Jon dropped me off and went round the block a couple of times before picking me up. By this time I had the fish, with ice in a carrier....which would not fit under the seat so I stuffed the carier inside my bike jacket! It was a very big package and I was very uncomfortable on the journey home!
I had the urge to dig up our potatoes which brought about a small selection of new potatoes.
The sun was glorious this morning so I headed to the beach with Wilma!
We had the beach to ourselves and had a fantastic time.
As we headed back to the car I noticed something in the distance.
At first I thought it was just the fishermen driving down to the boats, but they carried on...I counted 8! At the top of the road I caught up with them and took the photos.
When we arrived home we got ready to go out on the bike!
The conversation went something like this....
Jon " Leathers then?"
Me "OK!"
Jon " Well it is a lovely day and I am sick of getting wet!"
Me "Me too, yes leathers will be fine!"
It wasn't cold and we set off, with our leathers on!
Our neighbour called out to say they were going out on the bike, so we arranged to meet them at Rosedale Abbey, on the moors.
We drove over the moors, avoiding the major roads and following instead the winding picturesque lanes.
The heather is starting to colour and in August the moors will be covered in a wonderful carpet of purple.
I always think of Alfred Noyes poem the Highwayman.....
The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
The road was a ribbon of moonlight, over the purple moor,
And the highwayman came riding-
Riding-riding-
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn door.
As we were driving through the countryside I asked Jon to stop so I could take a photo of the surroundings.
"That's funny, I was just thinking the same" said Jon!
I became aware of the fantastic feeling that this is on our doorstep.......and the sea as well, captured only an hour before!
At Rosedale Abbey we had our lunch.
At 1.30 we left as the sky was looking black.
We headed towards York but once again we hit the rain.
We turned right, heading towards Helmsely and drove the 20 miles through the rain. It wasn't too bad.
OK Fact! Apricots are a laxative! I mentioned to Jon as we drove through the rain..
"I know!" he replied...
"I do.......now! " was my answer.....I had eaten a bowl for my breakfast!
We arrived in Helmesley and there was Jon and Trish, our neighbours.
They had text'd us, bu there are no signals in some parts of the moors.
We decided to ride home together as the weather was looking very iffy!
We drove over Blakey Ridge, stopping off at Hutton-le-Hole for a cup of tea.
We continued over the moors and it was then I realised the leathers had been a bad idea!
The sky looked absolutely black and I could see the rain heading towards us.
It is quite unnerving to be on a motorbike when it starts to rain as you can hear the pittar patter of the rain bouncing off your crash helmet!
It started...and got louder and louder and louder!
It was so heavy it was actually hurting me as it hit the front of my bike kacket!
As we drove through Castelton I realised it was enormous hailstones, not rain.
Jon pointed at them bouncing on the road!
We drove home, through the hailstones...and then the thunder and lightning started!
At one point I caught a glimpse of John and Trish in Jon's mirror. It was like something from a TV advert....the huge black cloud was just above them!
We arrived home and now the leathers are drying out, as are our boots, gloves and helmets....again!
This was the scene from our drive.
What a Day eh!
In fact a fantastic weekend all in all!
Will have to tell the basque story another time!
Watch this space! LOL!
16 comments:
Rather you than me on the bike in hailstones!!! Lol!! In fact rather you than me on the bike, fullstop!!!!
Ooh I know Rosedale Abbey very well - lovely place - you lucky people being so close to it...
xx
Hi, Thank you for visiting my blog, you are very welcome,
So I love your dog playing in the sea, YES!!! you saw that very well 'my dog's birthday' (has passed)
What a nice blog you have, I am for sure gonna visit it again, I like the weathersky also the discribing the 'motorride' and the dinner. Its fantastic to hear the music, while I was looking at your blog, (how did you do that??) Very well done.
Feel free and welcome to visit my blog again, see you.
JoAnn from Holland
D - you have some of the best scenery for bike riding! just gorgeous. We had rain on the weekend too but I was in the car - so it was only Joe who got wet.
You mean I've read all this and still no basque story!!!! Sorry to hear you had the rain and hail ( we fared much better this weekend...had 2 days of Summer). Once again envious of those beach photos; definitely going to have to find a bus and get to the beach soon!..preferably in good weather.
memo to self;heed MrsN's warning and don't have apricots before going for a day out;o)
Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend despite the weather!! Your photos are lovely! I cant believe how quickly the weather seems to be changing at the moment...very strange!
Hope you have a good week :o) {{HUGS}} x
I am constantly amazed at what you have in your own backyard (so to speak) - the rolling scenery like something from a film...and the beach close enough for a morning's walk. I was just telling G as he left for work earlier this morning how I wish we had a view when we opened the front door. It's cool right now and it feels so good.
Jon amazes me too in his ability to maneuver even through hail on that motorbike.
Sounds like a good weekend, rain or not! Felt like I was there.
XOXO
What an amazing world you live in. The countryside is gorgeous. You and hubby have lots of fun together. I love to hear your stories.
I have fond memories of Whitby holidaying as a kid, hunting for jet on the sands and being fascinated by the swing bridge.
Bees in helmets...for a while I thought there was something wrong with the bike, an odd intermittent buzzing. It wasn't until I felt something crawl into my ear that I realised! Don't know what people thought when I did an emergency stop, whipped my helmet off and ran round like a crazy guy!
Thank you for visiting my blog.
Your pictures are gorgeous. My wife and I both spent time in Britain while we were in college, and we have fond memories of the people and places. I love your shots of the moors.
Oh how funny~ not MY WhistleStop Cafe!
I hope you thought of me for a split second any way. LOL~
What a glorious day!
I was just this morning waxing nostalgic for England in the summertime. Then you menytioned York. Ahh I've ben to York. Then you mentioned CAstleton. Ohhh, I've been to Castleton. Then you mentioned rain and black skies and I was happy I was home in CAlifornia. Thank you for the little tour.
Hey guess what? you've been Schmoozed!!! see my garden blog.
What a lovely blog. You have some great adventures. I love your photos! You're a talented photographer. Likely you've been asked this a million times, but how do you play music on your blog? I absolutely adore the song that was playing when I arrived. I'd love to buy the CD if you can let me know the artist & song.
Thanks!
Dawn
Nice pictures :)
thank you for the comment on my blog :) he he... I am totally in love with her :) She was my first girlfriend and hopefully my last :)
www.rosshetherington.com
oh...the poor bee.... hahahahaha...
great pictures!
Post a Comment