5.7.07

Smiths, Downsizing and Tags!

Photo a Day
05.07.07
The Smiths @ Seaton




Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I posses
I thank the Lord I've been blessed
With more than my share of happiness
To me this old world is a wonderful place
And I'm just about the luckiest human in the whole human race
I've got no silver and I've got no gold
Just a whole lot of happiness in my soul

Happiness to me is an ocean tide
Or a sunset fading on a mountain side
Or maybe a big old heaven full of stars up above
When I'm in the arms of the one I love

Happiness is a field of grain
Lifting its face to the falling rain
I can see it in the sunshine, I breathe it in the rain
Happiness everywhere

A wise old man told me one time
That happiness is nothing but a frame of mind
I hope when you go to measuring my success
That you don't count my money count my happiness

Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I posses
I thank the Lord I've been blessed
With more than my share of happiness

This is my very good friend Tracey Smith.
It was great to talk with Tracey on the phone this morning.
When she sent me this picture of the family by the sea in Seaton
the song above came into my head as I felt the picture is a testament to the benefits of the downsizing which Tracey is an ardent and passionate campaigner.

In April we had National Downsizing Week here in UK,
well next week it is happening in America, you can read all about it
here!

We had a good chat and Tracey sent me some incredible pictures which I will share with you over the next few weeks.





Ruth has tagged me for this meme;


INSTRUCTIONS: Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot, like so:


1. The Ice Box
2. The Buzz Queen
3. Us Danes & Our Family
4. Me, My, Life, My Garden
5. mrs nesbitt's place

Next select five people to tag:
1. Robyn
2. Molly
3.Ross
4. Redcar
5. Awannabe

Then answer the following questions: (Read on for my answers)

What were you doing 10 years ago?

10 years ago this very month I was preparing for a time as acting Head Teacher.
I was at the peak of my teaching career, little did I know it was all about to change and within a period of two years I would walk away


What were you doing 1 year ago?
Thinking about growing my own vegetables...this year we actually did it!
In fact I need to go and dig up the radishes which i will do when the rain stops!

Five snacks you enjoy:
Cheese and Biscuits
Wheat Crunchies (Bacon Flavour)
Walkers Crisps
Cashew Nuts

Note.............Ages since I had any of the above due to Diet!

Lemons!



Five songs to which you know all the lyrics:

Hung Up, Madonna
Jerusalem (School Hymn)
Rocket Man, Elton John (in fact most of Elton John)
Tuesday Afternoon (Moody Blues......did I tell you I met them! LOL!)
The Sun has got his hat on, Hip Hip HIp Hooray!

I know all the words to lots of traditional hymns too, from my school days.



Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:


Have a purpose built workshop built for Jon
Build, & manage my own school
Fund medical training for future doctors,the research and development of alternative and fund & research recycling alternatives
Employ a full time animal behaviour expert for Wilma and Elsie!
Open my own small restaurant where I decided who was dining and what they were eating!


Five bad habits:

Snacks
Wine!
Tidying away quickly by clearing worktops and putting stuff in drawers...the drawers get fuller by the day!
Putting things in "safe places" I always forget where I have put them! Is that a bad habit or a senioe moment? LOL!
Going to the shop specifically for something and coming back with everything else but the item itself!



Five things you like doing:

Cooking & enjoying a meal for family and friends and drinking wine!
Going out for Bike Adventures with Jon
Listening to favourite music and singing along
Walking on the beach with Wilma
My artwork


Five things you would never wear again:

My wardrobe is full of stuff I think I do not enjoy wearing I need to sort out!
High heels, I detest the insecure feeling, especially after a glass of wine!
Make-up. I have a skin condition which makes make-up unbearable.
A basque!I had a bad experience with one once. Ask if you are brave! LOL! oh and it involved a fire!
Mules! My mum always said "You could break your neck wearing mules!



Five favourite toys:

My computer
Our motorbike
My printer
My art materials
My digital camera

11 comments:

Annie said...

Denise, I looked at the conscious consuming site and am happy to report that I have done and will continue to do the following:

1. Book a half-day off work to spend entirely with someone you love, no DIY allowed
2. Cook a meal from scratch, using locally sourced, seasonal ingredients, preferably organic
3. Donate a bag of clothes, toys or useful items to a local charity shop, refuge or recycling centre
4. Hand-make a simple card for the next birthday or event on your calendar
5. Eliminate 3 non-essential purchases this week
6. Plant something in the garden you can cultivate and eat and start a compost heap
7. Consider reputable work at home parents and small local businesses, for services you need
8. Tonight, turn off the television, switch on the radio, play a few games and talk

I had no idea I was so conscious already. Wow.

Sweetpea said...

hmm I managed to miss the down size week. I may invent my own for my flat in the next few weeks. I only lived here three years and it is packed with everything. although I can hear my mum telling me to be cautious as I may regret getting rid of things later on!

Sheila said...

I've always tended toward minimalism, so it won't be difficult for me to down size. It's a great idea. Living simply is it's own reward.

Miss Robyn said...

I am off on an adventure ! see you when I come home - I am going beyond the Black Stump!

Tracey Smith said...

Hi - I am delighted and inspired to see all the comments here, especially Annies!

I loved writing the suggestion lists for NDW and really hope they help you find a slow, green groove!

Thanks for anything you could do to help spread the word!

Trace x

RUTH said...

That was the Tracey on the radio wasn't it. I remember hearing it and was really impressed. I could do with some downsizing here! I'm such a hoarder; convinced that things will come in handy one day! Love the answers to your questions and have (and love) all your bad habits too!
Rx

Libbys Blog said...

I really enjoyed finding out more about you, thanks.

Now about this basque????????

do tell..............

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I had to downsize simply because I have no room for everything....heaven help me if I had a 4 bedroom house or some such thing. I do like furniture! but truthfully the key is not wanting what you love but loving what you already have.
I liked learning a bit more about you dear Denise! My new calling plan gives me discounts on international calls.....so now I can call to say hi now and then!
XOXOXO
Love,
Lisa

KaiBlue said...

Your friends look very happy denise..
loved this blog entry.. :)
Peace, Kai xx

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture of your friend and her family. I need to downsize some. Hope you are having a good weekend. Love Hugs and Blessings

Vallen said...

Five Favorite Brits - you, Libby, Lottie,Clive Owen and Inspector Lynley