Photo of the Day
21.07.07
Wilma,
Thursday Night,
Skinningrove Beach
21.07.07
Wilma,
Thursday Night,
Skinningrove Beach
Turkey Dinner Song Sing to the tune of Frère Jacques
Turkey Dinner, turkey dinner,
Gather round, gather round,
Who will get the drumstick?
Yummy, yummy drumstick,
All sit down, all sit down.
I know you all love Wilma, after all she is so photogenic,
but I thought you may be tiring of seeing her with her ball on the beach,
so here she is with her turkey drumstick!
LOL!
Turkey Dinner, turkey dinner,
Gather round, gather round,
Who will get the drumstick?
Yummy, yummy drumstick,
All sit down, all sit down.
I know you all love Wilma, after all she is so photogenic,
but I thought you may be tiring of seeing her with her ball on the beach,
so here she is with her turkey drumstick!
LOL!
These photographs were taken on Thursday, early evening!
Can somebody remind me it is Summer?
Since taking these photographs, on a rare sunny day we have had nothing but rain.
In fact looking out now, the sky is grey and there is a definite chance of rain.
It has rained throughout the night.
It doesn't really bother me today as Jon is working and I will continue my quest to de-clutter the house.
Yesterday I worked on the kitchen cupboards and even ventured into the snug.
I have a dilemma however and wanted some suggestions/thoughts.
When mum died in 1994 we had to clear her house.
I am sure many of you have been in this situation.
Mum was not one for clutter!
In fact, in her loft was an empty suitcase and a brass curtain pole!
Being an only child I had to do the task alone and make the decissions of what to do with everything.
I packed away the things I wanted to keep, sold any furniture I didn't want, shared some of mum's things with friends and family and the rest either was bought by the local brick a back lady, who I knew, or went to charity.
I am now looking at some of these ornaments, jugs etc. and wondering if I want them now.
Does this sound harsh or uncaring?
Our house has a coal fired AGA which produces an incredible amount of dust...which gets everywhere.

My kitchen contains jugs, teapots etc which are purely for show......
and which constantly require cleaning....many of the jugs are cracked and so can't be used for any other purpose other than decoration....
I do have a large kitchen dresser...
Can somebody remind me it is Summer?
Since taking these photographs, on a rare sunny day we have had nothing but rain.
In fact looking out now, the sky is grey and there is a definite chance of rain.
It has rained throughout the night.
It doesn't really bother me today as Jon is working and I will continue my quest to de-clutter the house.
Yesterday I worked on the kitchen cupboards and even ventured into the snug.
I have a dilemma however and wanted some suggestions/thoughts.
When mum died in 1994 we had to clear her house.
I am sure many of you have been in this situation.
Mum was not one for clutter!
In fact, in her loft was an empty suitcase and a brass curtain pole!
Being an only child I had to do the task alone and make the decissions of what to do with everything.
I packed away the things I wanted to keep, sold any furniture I didn't want, shared some of mum's things with friends and family and the rest either was bought by the local brick a back lady, who I knew, or went to charity.
I am now looking at some of these ornaments, jugs etc. and wondering if I want them now.
Does this sound harsh or uncaring?
Our house has a coal fired AGA which produces an incredible amount of dust...which gets everywhere.
My kitchen contains jugs, teapots etc which are purely for show......
and which constantly require cleaning....many of the jugs are cracked and so can't be used for any other purpose other than decoration....
I do have a large kitchen dresser...
should I put some of the ornaments inside?
there are so many.
I did keep teapots at one point but had a big clear out some years back and infact only have 3 noe, you can see them on top of the dresser.
The policeman teapot I bought 16 years ago when we moved here, The Police House.
The AGA teapot was a present for our wedding anniversary and it was to remember the year Jon built the AGA. We bought it second hand and it arrived in a pile of components, no directions. Jon built it using a diagram as a guide.
The chicken teapot I bought as it symbolised the change in lifestyle we had, embracing the self sufficiency and small holding phase geese, ducks, hens in particular.
We moved in the June and got our hens in the October at the village Harvest Auction.
I have some duck terrines which Dad bought mum, I use these, but what about everything else?
I would welcome any ideas.
Yesterday's fun competition..
there are so many.
I did keep teapots at one point but had a big clear out some years back and infact only have 3 noe, you can see them on top of the dresser.
The policeman teapot I bought 16 years ago when we moved here, The Police House.
The AGA teapot was a present for our wedding anniversary and it was to remember the year Jon built the AGA. We bought it second hand and it arrived in a pile of components, no directions. Jon built it using a diagram as a guide.
The chicken teapot I bought as it symbolised the change in lifestyle we had, embracing the self sufficiency and small holding phase geese, ducks, hens in particular.
We moved in the June and got our hens in the October at the village Harvest Auction.
I have some duck terrines which Dad bought mum, I use these, but what about everything else?
I would welcome any ideas.
Yesterday's fun competition..
I sat and read through the captions.
The one which made me laugh the most was
Ghosty said...
Well done Ghosty.
Great to have a secret agent win a prize! LOL!
Burglar to partner: "I liked the idea of stealing the guard dogs, Harold, but you didn't tell me the old bag had so many!"
The one which made me laugh the most was
Ghosty said...
Well done Ghosty.
Great to have a secret agent win a prize! LOL!
Burglar to partner: "I liked the idea of stealing the guard dogs, Harold, but you didn't tell me the old bag had so many!"
13 comments:
Well done Ghosty..a well deserved winner. I have a similar problem; i just can't declutter as much as I need to. Too early to let go of the sentimental things for me but I have so many brass ornaments that haven't seen the light of day for two years (can't even think now how I ever diplayed them all!).I have so many cooking utensils and crockery too and there's only me now...but if I get rid of them what do I do when I have a houseful of people to feed? Chairs, bedding, beds etc hardly used but I need them sometimes. Having been NO help to you at all I think I'll go now; that drumstick of Wilma's has made me feel hungry :o)
Rx
I like Ghosty's caption also!
As for the decluttering, I can't help you. I just find that the older I get the less stuff I want to keep.
Hi Mrs N,
I think that it is best to keep those items which give you the most pleasure and then display them in a creative way, so that you can enjoy them. That may mean reorganizing the dresser so that your teapots are at eye level, instead of on top of it gathering dust.
I don't think that it sounds harsh to clear out things that you will never use and are dust collectors. You could see if anyone else who knew your Mum wants them or give them to a charity she supported if you think they would be worth selling. Hope this helps..
Marie x
I did the same thing...I'm an only child, too. Recently, however, I got tired of not having "my" things in the china cabinets instead of Mother's, so we packed several boxes of china and put them in the attic...labeled that they are Granny's things. Now I have room for my stuff, and Mother's stuff is still there for when the kids might want it.
I know exactly what you mean about coal dust etc. If they are cracked, it would probably be best to get rid, as washing will not help the already cracked item. If you are particuarly attached to it, then try and keep it in your dresser!
Mrs.N I don't think it sounds uncaring or harsh. When Tyler died we saved everything of his for awhile and then decided there was no way we could keep everything. I picked about 10 really special things and then made a shadow box with them in it. I have one of his shoes(his mom has the mate) a shirt some fav toys a few other things and some pictures in it. Maybe you could make a kinda shadow box using the kitchen dresser.
By the way I always love seeing Wilma.
Ruth, I fully understand and it is early days yet Dxxxx
Mum died in 1994, but she will be so chuffed I am tidying out! She was house proud! Sadly I don't think I will EVER be that! But it is a first step!
Dot, yes, my age too!
Marie...yes, I am working on the dresser today.
Sioux, fully understand and empathise with you.
Libby...yes agreed. Working through just now.
Ninnie...sound interesting, do you have any pictures?
Whilst sorting through, keep only those items which bring forth fond memories of your childhood and your Mum, and then ditch the rest. It's not uncaring Denise, it's practical.
... perhaps with the jugs that can't be used for any purpose you could smash them (lovingly) and make some sort of mosaic for the garden *!*
Hi Mrs N
I just wanted to say thanx for the Wilma photos!! :)
But just a thought...When I discover something of my mother's (even a photo) it brings thoughts flooding back...quite a jolt to my fading memory of Mum sometimes... after 34 years!
Don't throw everything out! Maybe just keep a few very special items.
I've wondered about the same thing - what to keep and what to pass on or throw away. All those items do seem like treasures but really they are just items after all. I read a book once that said take photos of each thing and keep the photo only - maybe keep one or two extra-special-to-you items.
Thanks all, yes I think I am working through this....will take the photos later in week.
Dxx
Love your aga and your dresser and alll your jugs and pots and tea post. I think it makes a place seem like home. I'm getting rid of our solid fuel rayburn in the next few weeks. I brought a second hand oil one its been really hard to find someone to fit it when we are on a budget. I'm going to miss the little fire going but I find it hard to do all the wood thing and it heats the water and does the heating. I plan to use my wood as much as possible.
Post a Comment