19.2.08

ABC Wednesday....

Welcome to ABC Wednesday!
How to participate in ABC Wednesday.1. Post your E picture on your blog.2. Come to my blog and sign in on Mr. Linky3. Enjoy the beautiful E pictures of the other bloggers.
There is a new Mr. Linky each week so you always have to sign up on the current one.

Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you have an E picture posted on your blog.
Last week there were a number of comments made re people not leaving comments here, so please leave a comment here and if possible, a reference back to this blog.
We reached 80 participants last week, so please be assured we will do our best to visit each blog, not necessarily on Wednesday, but it would help if you did leave a comment here.

ThanksD

E is for.....

Engineer!








My advice is to look out for engineers.

They begin with sewing machines and end up with nuclear bombs.


Marcel Pagnol


What kinds of work does an engineer do?
Traditional aspects of the engineering field include design, development, testing, production, construction, systems engineering, marketing and sales, research, teaching and administration, and supervision.
Unique skills and problem-solving techniques make the engineer a useful member of the teams that work to solve technically based problems relating to social and political issues.


While most engineers work for large industries or governmental units, it is possible, after a period of study and experience, to establish a business of one's own.

(google)


People often ask me what Jon does, being a self-employed precision engineer.

My answer....."He solves problems!"


Take Sunday for instance.....

Jon had worked the best part of the weekend on a job which was some type of component for a railway system.

As we ate our lunch the washing machine started making a terrific noise.

Jon's face lit up...he likes anything like that!

He does have an amazing understanding of anything mechanical!

After a few tests it was determined that although the drum was spinning, it wasn't going round.

Off came the back of the washer.

Our washer is a Hotpoint! Jon does a great deal of work for Hotpoint.

He makes the entire mould tool for the door seal...the gasket as it is referred to in technical circles. (You are part of that circle now! LOL!)

So, once the back was removed it was found the fan belt had worked loose.

In a few seconds Jon replaced it round the pulleys.

He then started investigating further, pushing and poking inside the washing machine.

One particular part had worked loose and on further study he discovered a bracket had snapped, hence the particular part not being stable, causing "slack" hence the belt coming off.

Jon removed the broken bracket and went to the workshop where he made a replacement.






Once fitted we switched the spinning cycle on and lo and behold all was well!




Notice the expression on Jon's face...


another problem solved!




Here you can see the bracket in place inside the washing machine.


If the picture is blurred this is due to the vibration of the washing machine during the spin cycle.



70 comments:

VP said...

Whoo hoo I'm the first to coment this week :)

My hubby's an engineer too...

VP said...

Oh and I've posted my entry too :)

Jo said...

Hi, I'm new to ABC Wednesday, and I tried to link, but I guess I am not able to.

Do you lend Jon out? I have a washing machine that needs fixing. :-)

Leslie: said...

Can you send Jon over to my place? I need a Mr. Fix-it for all sorts of odd jobs around the house. I end up having to pay people to come and do things that most men can do...but not I! Wah! Mine's up now! :D

AJ said...

Hi there! Boooo, Mr. Linky!

I've posted my "E" at River Market Daily Photo.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Mr. Linky is acting up. Your engineer is a gem.

My post is up and if you click on my name you should get there directly. If not here is my link
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/abc-wednesday-e-is-for/

AJ said...

I need a guy like Jon to climb up on ladders and change light bulbs! :-)

VP said...

Thanks for getting Mr Linky up & running - see the rest of you in the morning!

dot said...

Now that is what every woman needs...her own engineer!!

Flassie's Fil'a said...

What happened to Mr. Linky?
I just signed it a bit ago
and now it is gone again?

Jon's face say's it all! LOL!

Have a Blessed Year!!!

Flassie's Fil'a said...

It's back!LOL! Playing some
trick's on us isn't it? LOL!

Have a Blessed Year!!!

Max-e said...

It definitly helps to have an engineer in the house. I leave those repairs to the experts now - when I work on something like that there is a 50/50 chance of it working. It usually errs on the side of not working and a few extra parts.

Pernille said...

Oi, I could use some help from Jon!!! Nice E:)

kRiZcPEc said...

Nice post!

DeeMom said...

I hope I did not get too silly this week with the letter...but gosh it was fun...

DO you RENT him out???? Always nice to have a person about that knows STUFF and how to fix it ;)

Alan said...

It certainly pays to be handy with fixing things. My father is that way. Alas, it didn't pass along in my genes very much. I became an artist instead.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Denise, what a great found I love your E subject of today.... Have a great ABC day, I try to visit all members(after first night sleep, its night here) Greetings JoAnn

Sharon said...

Wow! Not only did he fix it, he made the part he needed! What a treasure! We have to call the repair guys.

Anonymous said...

Good to have an engineer around the house! I found my E a few weeks ago when I was in the Philippines, and had been waiting... waiting... waiting for the right time to post it.

Linda said...

It's always nice to have a problem solving man around the house. We've had similar problems with our washer/dryer.

Happyone said...

Sounds just like my husband!! Aren't they great to have around!!

Paulie said...

That's a terrific entry -- not too bad as a terrific engineer hubby too!!!!!!!! You better do something EXTRA nice to keep him around!!!!!!!! He's a good guy for allowing you to photograph him for this also.

ArneA said...

Early up this Wed.
A man with handy competence is always needed, in many ways
Have nice ABCW experience this week

Katney said...

I have no one that handy around my house. Can he come fix my thermostat?

Silly Goose said...

How very cool to have such a handy engineer right in your own home who's actually excited about making things work right! You picked a good one, Denise!

Patty said...

I need someone around my house to fix things..Do you loan him out?
Great post for the letter!
Mine is up too.

Mrs Mac said...

Perhaps he can advise me WHY my washer-dryer has no filter???? My old washing machine had one and my old dryer had one. THIS thing has none. I've looked all over, in, out, behind and under. NOT THERE!!!! I hate to think where all that lint and fluff is going. I'm sure it's going to blow up one day. Hey ho.

ANYWAY! It's 4.30 am and I've just finished my entry. I raced here thinking, I'll be first! I'll be first! HA! Some chance! You're all too quick for me! number 29 it is, then. Hey ho!

:^)

Nancy said...

How nice that Jon was able to fix the washer but make the part too.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Ahh Jon is like my Nevada, he makes things work one way or another.

ChrisJ said...

That man's a keeper, Mrs. Nesbitt. (But you already knew that.)

Petunia said...

Great post! You are a very lucky woman;)

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

phew I posted at midnight and no linky here.

7 am and 37 here already

Ok I'm off to engineer some breakast and will check back later when I've properly woken up

GAWO said...

Lucky you. :-)

Rune Eide said...

I always wanted to bea an engineer - alas, its too late now!

FO - 2 said...

I am married to one myself. A Chief Engineer. It`s very practical! ;)
He fixes up DVD player`s, old wasing machine`s etc.
And "everything" is breaking while he is at seas..... ;)LOL!
Take good care your`s! :)))

photowannabe said...

Great post for E and I think Jon is a prize. I finally got my E post up. Come on over.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

Hi, I posted my E, then I see your Engineer post, thats me, I are an Engineer , my union card tells me so.
I worked on the tools for over 40 years so can also fix things.

Janet said...

That must be wonderful to have someone on hand to fix things. And most especially since he seems to enjoy it!

HildeS/Frøken Fryd said...

You are just lucky to have your own engeneer.
Have a nice day.

Berit T said...

I will like to have my own too!!!

david mcmahon said...

Jon, when did you say you were coming to Melbourne?

Miss_Yves said...

An interesting and dangerous job, according to Boris Vian or Marcel Pagnol (does this sentence come from "la Gloire de mon père " ou "le château de ma Mère" ?)
I am not an engineer: I often put gremlins in machines !
Miss Yves

Miss Robyn said...

I think E was a difficult letter to find.. but I did it.. haven't linked as yet..

I love Jon's face.. it looks like he just opened his christmas present and found a toy train!!

Liz Hinds said...

Would he like to come and live with me? My husband is useful but away a lot!

Mine's up.

Daryl said...

Did no one sleep? LOL ... Engineer. Very clever!

Dragonstar said...

So you don't have any machinery that needs fixing? I would have expected it to be like the carpenter's wife always waiting for bookshelves, etc. You obviously have a treasure to hang on to!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh neat....My hubby is an engineer also! It didn't even occur to me to use engineer for "E" today.
Happy ABC Wednesday!

Gordon said...

That just reminded me I have a dryer that isn't working. I am no engineer, but I am a handyman and I love solving problems. I hope I am as successful as Jon.

My "E" post is up on Adelaide in Photos

mrsnesbitt said...

Please understand I will get round to visit your blogs but we are at a funeral this afternoon so it will be later when I return here.

Thanks.
Denise
xx

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Denise,
Well I did my best today on ABC day , I've posted now all the 58 participants (untill now), and there's no-one left on the list, see if they visit mine.. Its a busy list for all. I Have to go now, my work has to be done...too. Bye have a great ABC day!

Greetings JoAnn

bonnie said...

That is so incredibly impressive. I want one.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I wish I was that mechanically inclined. Life would be easier.

Jean M Fogle said...

It would be so nice to have an engineer in the family!

kml said...

Love your advice - too funny!

gma said...

Hi Denise...I've got an engineer at my house too.
:-)

Mrs Mac said...

Oops! Just realised I hadn't put a link back to here on mine- sorry! I've just added it.

Anonymous said...

What a handy guy to have around! I auto-posted my entry in the wee small hours - but I forgot to come here and sign on Mr Linky! Happy Wednesday :).

P.S. Does your Jon do precision engineering of human brains, to prevent memory loss? If so, send him round to me, LOL.

Kim said...

My father in law is an electrical engineer. He fixes everything. You should see their house, it is full of electrical gadgets. Great choice.

BumbleVee said...

Okay....I think I did it!! it was a bit of "backing and forthing"... but I am linked and re-linked in my post.

Now...I am off to check out all the "E" things and see some sights/sites !!

Mari said...

My first time :-D Thank You for this challenge! It seems very interesting!

david mcmahon said...

G'day Denise,

My yarn's up now ....

Cheers

David

CG said...

He is a TREASURE!! Having been charged over £100 by a so-called washing machine repair man who failed utterly but still kept the money, I'm jealous!!

Unknown said...

To a job well done.tjimt

nonizamboni said...

What fun! Your very own engineer.

(I nearly forgot it was Wednesday.)

becky aka theRAV said...

Hi! I think I Finally got this right this time. When I clicked on my name it went right into it. I have 2 posts as usual.
theRAV

Diana S said...

Me too! I'm in. and have something to show for it. woohoo!

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! I'm new to ABC Wednesday but I posted a few photo's on my blog and they have to do with Entertainment. Which is E...for Entertainment. I hope that I am doing this right. Please let me know if I am not. I will put something on the post about it being an ABC Wednesday post.
Your photo looks great! Can ya send Jon over to fix a few things here?
*HUGS*

Miss_Yves said...

Every engineer is a genius!
Today, I have added a post about "ear "and "Etna" and later I'll add something about "tour Eiffel"
Miss Yves

i beati said...

respect for hubby a beautiful thing!!

Diana S said...

I hope I'm not too late. everyone is starving when I get home from work so I have to tend to tummies first, before I play.