23.2.08

That was the week that was!


Photo of the Day
23.02.08
The Beach @ Skinningrove this morning!



ON A WINDY DAY

by: Anne Bronte (1820-1849)

My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring
And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze;
For above and around me the wild wind is roaring,
Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.

The long withered grass in the sunshine is glancing,
The bare trees are tossing their branches on high;
The dead leaves beneath them are merrily dancing,
The white clouds are scudding across the blue sky

I wish I could see how the ocean is lashing
The foam of its billows to whirlwinds of spray;
I wish I could see how its proud waves are dashing,
And hear the wild roar of their thunder to-day!


Wilma and I had the beach to ourseles today and as the tide was out it was ideal for our morning exercise.

We have two balls and I throw one as far as I can for Wilma to run and fetch. As she approaches me with the ball I throw the other ball in the opposite direction, repeating the exercise yet again. We do this for at least 30 minutes. Today we did 40 minutes. I run with Wilma too, so we were both quite tired by the time we finished.


We kept close to the cliffs today.

The weather was so windy!


Here you can see Wilma's fur being buffeted by the wind. At one point I figured we both must have looked a funny sight. The wind was so powerful it was blowing us along! I was standing in a diaganol fashion, against the wind with my hair flowing in mid air. It is a good job I had it in bunches, but we must have looked so funny. Wilma in the meantime was being blown over the beach! Although I had my camera with me at the time because the sand was being whipped up by the wind I didn't want to get the sand inside the camera, so my description will have to suffice!





It has been a busy week.

The church was full for Ian Dutton's funeral, a true reflection of the respect and affection he held by those around him. I made a sympathy card using dried flowers as I knew how much Ian loved the countryside.



I included some words which I thought were very apt.


Death leaves a heartache
no one can heal,
love leaves a memory
no one can steal.

The following day I had a Christening Card commission to do. The light isn't particularly good on the picture, but it will give you an idea of the design.


I am busy at the moment with four wedding commissions. All quite different and once the invitations are finalised I will share them here

All of these life events reminded me of the words of Turn, Turn, Turn by The Byrds

To every thing, turn, turn, turn
There is a season, turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
To everything, turn, turn, turn
There is a season, turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven
A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together
To everything, turn, turn, turn
There is a season, turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing
To everything, turn, turn, turn
There is a season, turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late


Jon is also busy. He is working today but I am not sure about tomorrow, we will just have to wait and see....

Watch this space!

NB....SUNDAY 8.45AM

Rumour has it we are going out on the motorbike this afternoon.......so I will be in search for my "F"!




22 comments:

photowannabe said...

Your life is so full .....new commissions, that wonderful dog and your sweet husband. Who could ask for more?

ArneA said...

Now I know where Skinningrove is.
Never been there, but in Hull and Windermere.

Dot said...

Sounds like great fun you and Wilma have on the beach. I wonder who wears out first!
I've always loved the Byrd's song and it amazes me that it came from the Bible.

dot said...

The above was some stranger posing as me!

Mountain Mama said...

I love your beach pictures and Wilma sure looks happy to be there.
Your cards are really nice. I think the first one is very special and I love the verse you put in it too.

nonizamboni said...

Aww, I love Wilma! this was a fun and touching post. Thanks for sharing!

ellen b. said...

Your card for the funeral was wonderful. I love the words you included...Beautiful.

SandyCarlson said...

Wilma is quite the personal trainer! What a day and what a view and what a choice of poems!

Your cards are beautiful. Your choice of the Byrds for this post was perfect. Good ol' Ecclesiastes....

God bless.

ChrisJ said...

The wind! That's what I remember most about Flamborough. Wilma really keeps you busy -- and fit! Good for you!

i beati said...

Wonderful Wilma- cards superb!!

Shammickite said...

Lovely dog photos.
I've been dogsitting this week, so I've had some nice doggy walks too, but not on a nice beach, worse luck!
Did you know I became a grandma last week?

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

That wind can sure blow from the North Sea, but dogs dont seem to mind the wind or cold.
I was in Staithes two years ago and it was very pleasant with no wind that day.
On Heartbeat, last night, Bellamy and Gina just got married, wondered how long ago you saw that.
British shows are always shown later here. Corrie is about six or eight months behind.

Liz Hinds said...

Bless her! Doesn't she look a picture with her ears blwon back? I'm thinking of having George's ears pierced as they flop back and just stay there. They need weighting down!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Has Wilma gotten you figured out yet.
I have see what else you've been up to!dkvzomnj

Andrea said...

Love your post today. Looks like so much fun on the beach. I would love to visit the beach in the winter time. We usually go in the summer but have been in the spring before.

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

Death and birth...both a necessity in this circle of life that we have. You faced loss then you did a card for a young baby who has his whole life ahead of him. Take comfort in that, I do.

You have a BEAUTIFUL dog that loves his ball like us!

Nice blog, thanks for visiting mine!

CherryPie said...

Thank you for visiting my blog it's nice to meet you :-)

And your latest post reminds me of my grandfather, he was born and living in furnaces cottages in Skinningrove. I am sure they are no longer there though. I have enjoyed looking through your Whitby photographs too, it is one of my favourite places :-)

Suzz said...

Love your blog ... thanks for sharing your side of the world with mine.

Miss Robyn said...

it looks like you had a great time at the beach! do you have lots of shells on that beach?
I guess I am ahead ! I have done F already...

one thing I am looking forward to when I come over to the Uk is walking on the beach in Cornwall..
I must get onto organising just where I want to visit and start planing a map :)

Mrs Mac said...

What a thoughtful post!
I love the photo's of Wilma, especially the last 2!
Great cards, too.

Helena

Kelli said...

Gorgeous photos and I love that poem, the picture goes perfectly with it!
~Kelli

Jean M Fogle said...

You know how much I love seeing new pics of Wilma! What a windy day.