15.2.08

Skywatch Friday!

A Photo of the Day
15.02.08
The REd Arrows, Elvington Nr York, many years ago.





High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings,
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

The poem High Flight was written by a young fighter pilot during World War II. Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee Jr., was an American citizen who was born of missionary parents in Shanghai and educated in Britain's famed Rugby School. He went to the United Stated in 1939, and at the age of 18, won a scholarship to Yale. Like other Americans of the time who wished to aid in the cause of freedom, he decided to enlist in the services of a nation actively engaged in war. Magee enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force in September 1940. He served overseas with an RCAF Spitfire Squadron until his death on active service in December, 1941.

His poem, composed in September 1941, was scribbled on the back of a letter which he mailed to his mother in Washington. Pilot Officer Magee was killed a few months later when his Spitfire plane collided with a bomber-pilot trainer on approach to the airport over Lincolnshire, England. He was 19 years old.


We learn something new everyday.
When I was rustling about looking for some apt words of poetry to fit my pictures I stumbled across these words, and I am so pleased I did. The sheer drama of the photographs is matched perfectly by the vivid description by the young pilot.

34 comments:

FO - 2 said...

Some show! :)
Deep blue sky. Beautiful.

Paulie said...

I don't recall ever seeing such a deep blue sky before. Just gorgeous!

Rune Eide said...

Two "high flying" pictures!

Randi said...

Ohh...that poem get the chilly down my back. This words got to my heart!! thank you for sheering.
And the photos was beautifully!1

SandyCarlson said...

These are gorgeous. Runee said it best!

Daniel J Santos said...

Excellent, well done...

dot said...

Excellent pictures!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Wonderfull combination Denise, I like the Dancing skies,this is such a GREAT sky! Welldone:)

Come and see my DUTCH skywatch,
and listen to my favorite music while watching...

Greetings JoAnn
Enjoy your weekend:)

Daryl said...

NICE!

KaiBlue said...

I love the Red Arrows. I think I saw them last at Culdrose in Cornwall. The pictures you have are wonderful.
PEace n wuvs, kai xx

mrsnesbitt said...

Thanks for the comments everybody.
These were actual photographs I took with a 35mm camera, could have been an instant one me thinks. I scanned them last night. This is why they are a tiny bit blurry. I have not edited them however.

Shammickite said...

A young man of 19 wrote this. Amazing. How did he find the words? Just imagine what he could have achieved if he had lived.

Andrea said...

Nice shots. We have seen the Blue Angels air show. So interesting.

Enjoy your Friday.

Misty DawnS said...

Wow those photos are awesome, but put them together with the poem and it's indescribable!

Dick said...

I love the deep blue sky, beuatiful pictures.

Petunia said...

Great shots!

Yolanda said...

This is very pretty and I love the poem.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you stumbled upon this too and shared it with us along with the photos. I Love IT!!
Simply amazing and wonderful thougts...

Tom said...

Stunning pictures, words and story... I enjoyed this poem and I'll read up more on the young man who wrote it... thank you for posting it.. :O)

Leslie: said...

These shots take my breath away! By the way, love how your Valentine enjoys his toys! ;D

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Mummy likes this poem. SHe yewst to go gliding. I mean proper gliding, not like Dilly.

:@}

Linda said...

Beautiful sky picture and a great history lesson.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos!! I just love it:)

Meggie said...

Fabulous photos...the blue is so brilliant, and the planes give the shot such dimension.

ArneA said...

Exceptional good photo shooting.
The second is photographic best and I donlt catch the first untis I have seen the second.
Good they are not armed (?) they could have returned your shooting

Marie said...

Excellent pictures!

Sharon said...

I have always loved this poem. My dad was a fighter pilot who retired in '71. I had a nice copy of this poem framed for him.

Great pictures!

Andree said...

those are great photos of the planes with beautiful words to match. thank you. My Sky Watch is here.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

a perfect post...i have missed you...hugs, r

Anonymous said...

Tell Ella. I am doing a cat tournament. You should join. I pay the winner 32 bucks. Check it out if your interested. www.wozog.com. All I need is a picture of your cat with your thumb showing in the picture (to make sure it is really your cat). Send it to admin@wozog.com. Tell me the name of your cat and he or she will be entered. It will be fun. The first tournament is going on right now.

imac said...

Super shot.

Suzi-k said...

wonderful, they have such a worldwide reputation, must be geat to see them in the flesh!

Anonymous said...

You had me with, " scribbled to his mother" Oh, that touches a mother's heart. For her boy to be able to speak so well as a man!

Great photos as well.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

I seem to recall, a speech by Ronald Reagan when the shuttle blew up on launch back in 1986.
he used the term, Slipping the surly bonds of earth.
Now I know where the speech writers saw that line