18.2.08

Photo of the Day
18.02.08
View from the window 5 minutes ago




Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost
One of our village neighbours passed away on Saturday night.
The news spread quickly, by Sunday by word of mouth or telephone everybody was aware that Ian Dutton had died.
It is at times like this where the village community responds.
We all know each other in the village, his wife Jackie is being supported by family who have travelled up from London.
The funeral will be later this week I would have thought and along with other people in the village we will be attending.
Ian was a very generous gentleman who contributed greatly to the village community.
He was influential and crutial in the re-building of the village hall some years ago.
Like everybody in the village he and Jackie kept themselves to themselves but looked out for others.
It is times like these I realise we are part of a close-knit community.
We have lived here for 16 and a half years and they have been happy years indeed.
Each morning when I open the curtains and see the surrounding area it gives me a sense of contentment and appreciation.
It is very cold indeed at the moment.
Frosty mornings and cold evenings. There are a few hours of warm sunshine mid afternoon but the temperatures soon drop and round about 4.30 the cold kicks in and there is only one place to be.......inside! Even Jo our goose goes into his shed and pulls the straw around him to keep warm. I think I will get some more straw from Ronnie's farm...second picture above! This will give Jo extra warmth during the cold nights.
We didn't get out on the motorbike yesterday as it was so cold.
Jon is working long hours at the moment, so I was releived when he took Sunday afternoon off.
We didn't do anything exciting, just went out for a drive in the pick-up.
As ever, ABC Wednesday's subject emerged, completely out of the blue!
It is a good one!
I must admit I nearly lost the plot yesterday and it involved a shop assistant!
Remind me to tell you! LOL!
Watch this space!

22 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

Such a lovely post...
Sandi

artisbliss said...

Love your blog and the interesting mixture of great photographs and apt poetry. Wonderful post today.

dot said...

Beautiful post and your community sounds wonderful! So far "E" has been the hardest letter for me. I just don't have a clue at this moment.

Sandy Kessler said...

what a gorgeous look at your world both in word and photo and your happy spirit always prevails

Daryl said...

What a lovely post .. I am sorry to hear of your neighbor's passing. Its good his wife has family/friends to lean on.

imac said...

Nice post.
Have ordered sun sun sun next week.

Come and visit our holls fab cab, also see who won my free Austrian card.

Susan said...

I am sorry for your community's loss~but your post is so sweet! It is nice to live in such a close knit community!

Andrea said...

Nice post.

I have an "E" ready for Wednesday.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

I also live in a small town of 4000 and about the same in the rural area around, so we have the same feel and after near 20 years here get to know a lot of people around here.
We also lost a neighbour while I was away in California.
I also have my ABC picture for Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Extraordinary.

Jafagirls said...

Your post reminded me of those we have lost in our village in Yellow Springs, Ohio. I miss their faces when popping into town and remember them fondly.

It sounds like it is the same for you and your village has lost a special person.

regard jafabrit
a Geordie lass in ohio

A.Bananna said...

so sorry to hear about your loss.

hope you have a great rest of the week!

photowannabe said...

A touching and heartfelt post. I am sorry for your loss. Beautiful pictures of the place you live. It looks like a fairy tale.
Looking forward to your E post. I do have mine ready to go tonight.

Barbara said...

I would love to live in a village, it's wonderful how everyone knows each other and are there for support. What a beautiful view from your window.

Leslie: said...

Please give my condolences to Jackie - all the way from western Canada. Your photos are lovely and makes me wish I lived in a more close-knit community instead of a sprawling suburb. Although, I must say my "village" is quite nice. I'm looking forward to "E" day.

Anne-Berit said...

That was a great post,love your photos.Have a lovely Wednesday:o)

DeeMom said...

We live in a small community, much you said about people keeping to themselves is also true here…until there is a need then the people are there to help however they can…

Anne-Berit said...

Me too have an E-post ready:o)

Whispering Walls said...

Fabulous photos

Anonymous said...

It must be a great source of comfort to belong to such a supportive community where people care about each other.

Marie x

Little Blue Violet said...

I am sorry to hear of your neighbors passing. My grandfather was a Dutton. Miles Dutton. Second generation in the states. I do not hear of that name very often here.
kindest regards,
Darly

Son Poemas said...

Lindas fotos.

Gracias.