Photo a Day
Carlisle Crematorium,
June 29th 2007

Friday was an early start, we were leaving at 7am.
having had a lengthy discussion with Jon, he said he would take me to Carlisle on the motorbike.
The train would have arrived in Carlisle with only minutes to spare and I would then have to find the Crematorium.
Also, the return train would have meant me standing around stations late at night waiting for connections, so Jon wanted to take me there.
So we could have a clear journey we went to Whitby last night and filled up the tank with petrol.
7am we set off.
Sitting on the back of the bike in the early morning sunshine I commented to Jon how quiet the roads were.
I watched as we drove down the coast, always watching the blue sea to our right.
I saw a ferry heading for Newcastle, the one we have used before, people returning home from holidays.
The seascape soon gave way to the industrial outline of the larger towns and we were driving parallel with the comuter train...the passengers watched us..I waved and a whole carriage waved back.
It was surreal.
As we drove on through the towns, onto the various bypasses I was thinking of Daisy, of her final journey.
I wondered what she would have noticed as she passed by?
We passed on through the morning.
Traffic was now increasing as people were making their way to work.
At Darlington I saw the road sign for Penrith and I knew this would take us into our fourth county, Cumbria.
Within a couple of hours we had travelled through North Yorkshire, Cleveland, County Durham and would soon be in Cumbria.
Picture a map of Britain.
We were travelling across.
We live in the North East, Daisy lives in the North West.
We drove on, Jon cutting through the distance like a hot knife through butter.
Those of you who ride pillion know what it is like to observe your nearest and dearest on the front of the bike, taking you to places together.
As we continued I thought of this man, my Jon on the front of the bike, taking me to say "Goodbye" to our dear Daisy.
A lady he had never met, but who had heard so much about.
He had put to one side his customers, his business, in order to take me there and return me home safely.
Tears of pride and gratitude were streaming down my face.
I had entered my own little world as I often do on the back of the motorbike.
Jon meanwhile had checked his mirror..
He caught hold of my hand, which brought me back to where i was..
"Alright Dear?" He asked...
"Yes chuck, just the wind in my eyes!"
"What time is it?" I asked..
"8 o'clock"
"Good eh?"
Not really, it's the roadworks.
Whilst I had been in my dreamland I hadn't noticed the traffic had drawn to a stand still.
How I would have panicked had I had been in the car!
Fortunately we filtered along but the traffic limit was 40 mph for the better part of that stage of the journey!
We came to Scotch Corner and took the road to Penrith.
Still we were within the 40 mph speed restriction.
I felt the bike was like Wilma being on the beach, but on a lead...
raring to go, immense energy at the ready but having to be held back.
As I watched the endless 40mph and 'Speed Camera' signs pass by with what seemed snail's pace I felt Jon's body language change....
He was slowly altering his driving position.......
I was right, the 'end of roadworks' sign passed by and we were off!
I knew from the route planner I had downloaded from the internet, when we reached the M6 motorway we would remain there for 17 miles.
At that I caught a flash of a blue sign, the M6 was 20 miles away....
then 15!
Then we were on it!
The road conditions had been quite warm until Penrith when the clouds blackened and we felt the rain start.
We had spare gloves packed, as wet gloves are so uncomfortable.
I put my hands inside Jon's pockets and held on as we made our way down the M6.
The spray from other vehicles was quite spectacular.
In no time at all we reached Carlisle.
We asked for directions and were soon at the Crematorium.
The time?
9.55.
Perfect timing!
We parked the motorbike and made our way to the waiting room.
We sat and I started to think of the sadness of the moments to come.
I was thinking of Daisy and looking outside, looking at the gardens.
As I looked, there right outside of the very window I saw this. flowerbed.....
and closer!

Daisies and Lupins
I went outside to take the photographs and returned to sit with Jon.
One of the officials came to us..
"Are you from Whitby? we have been expexting you."
Lydia, Ian, (Daisy's husband) greeted us with hugs.
We met Daniel too.
Daisy arrived and the celebration of her life took place.
Her favourite music was played.
Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star
Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, when youre older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and dawn
Were captive on the carousel of time
We cant return we con only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game.
Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now
Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town
And they tell him,
Take your time, it wont be long now
Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and dawn
Were captive on the carousel of time
We cant return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game
So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty
Though his dreams have lost some grandeur
Coming true
There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty
Before the last revolving year is through.
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
Were captive on the carousel of time
We cant return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game
(The minister is e-mailing me a full document of the service)
After the service we headed home.
We drove vial Alston, and stopped via Heartside.
This is the highest point of Cumbria.
We had lunch at the cafe and i took some time to capture the scenery,
Quietly, finding space and a moment I scattered some glitter and sequins, just for Daisy.

This bench will be a place of reference.
A place I know, we all know, where Glitter was scattered on June 29th, for Daisy.
A place I will visit again, whenever we are passing, where I can sit and think of Daisy.
We continued home, the sun shining.
We were tired, so a quiet night, after a full day.
27 comments:
Thank you so much for this post and for everything you did yesterday....incredible that there were lupines and daisies growing there.....Thanks for spreading glitter.....and your beautiful words.
Guess we'll have to celebrate an UNbirthday for you one of these days.
This was a lovely post dear Denise. I cannot thank you enough (and Jon for taking you) for representing all of us there. I was glad I was able to speak to you on the phone that day....hear your own voice and be able to wish you a Happy Birthday.
Spreading the glitter was perfect and I know in my heart Daisy loved the gesture. The Daisies and Lupins growing right there were a sign she was close by....she wanted you to notice them.
Hoping today, Saturday, that your BBQ celebration is joyous!!
XOXOX
sorry to hear you had a sad day yesterday you captured the emotion wonderfully in your account of the journey there.........
maria
Hi Denise,
sorry I forgot to wish you a happy birthday, thanks for the invite but I am not able to make it as still not driving.......have a drink on me!1
love
maria
xxx
I cried all through this, Denise; the image of you and Jon so close together journeying on the bike to say goodbye to Daisy...so moving. {{HUGS}}
First thanks to Jon for getting you there and back safely; I'm sure having him with you made the difficult journey and it's purpose that little bit easier. So fitting that you saw the daisies in the garden and what a special place that bench will be for you to visit and remember your Glitter Sister. Now it's time for you to celebrate (belatedly) your Birthday...I've already had a glass of wine in your honour so you'd better get the B&C's out and catch up!...LOL
Rx
Happy Birthday, Denise!
I am sorry you had to mix such a sad occasion with the happy occasion of your birthday. I hope you have had some time today to celebrate your life! How fitting that you saw the daisies and lupines. Thank you for this post - it made me cry but it made me happy to think that you scattered some glitter for Daisy.
Bless you,
Julie
That was lovely.
It all came straight from your heart.
What a wonderfully written post.
Thank-you for going and for sharing the ride and the service with us!
Happy Birthday, one day late!
Thank you for telling us of your day. Hope you have had a wonderful birthday celebration today. Love Hugs and Blessings
Denise,
What a lovely post that you shared with us. I love the Daisy and Lupines that you photographed. I loved the spreading of the glitter too. Thanks for representing all of us.
Hugs,
Kate
How wonderful that you should see the daisies outside just at that very moment, and the scattering of glitter was very touching.
I'm glad you had Jon close to you for the day.
Thank you Mrs Nesbitt for this post. The photographs are lovely especially the daisy/lupin ones, and I love the sprinkling of glitter.
You saw lupines and daisies as a beautiful blue moon was shining brightly Down Under *!*
Denise, that was the most beautifully written post and the photos were gorgous.
A late "Happy Birthday"!
With Tears in my eyes,
that was Beautiful.
So Good of your Jon to
take you. It was lovely
that you shared this with
us. {{{Thank You Denise}}}.
Bless You Both!
Flassie
Awww... how cool that you scattered glitter! I have seen daisies everywhere! In pictures in shop windows ..ads...THank you for doing all the nice things you did for Daisy and the Gliter tribe!
Beautiful daisies...that live on and on. They will come back next year, and the next.
Heartfelt post~
your postbrought tears to my eyes
HUGS
Gill
A very touching and heartfelt tribute Denise. Daisey would have loved the daiseys out side the window.
You have a wonderful husband that cared for you so tenderly in your sorrow.
Thanks Denise for your wonderfully graphic accound. And tears flowed from me too! Give Jon a great big hug from us all. What a star.
We really appreciate you representing us for Daisy's farewell.
We were with you in spirit.
Love Sue xxx
Thank you everybody.
Dxxxx
It was indeed heartfelt.
Love to you MrsN xxx
Amazing! Thank you for everything!
The pictures look nice!
www.rosshetherington.com
That is the most perfect song for Daisy Lupin, thank you for sharing this.
Denise, I've had computer problems for the last couple of weeks, and so I hadn't been able to read your account till now. I just wanted to thank you - for this post, for sharing your words, yourself - on your very own bithday no less; for the glitter, everything. Bkessings to you
Post a Comment