16.7.09

Watching the Sky! Update 2 of the Chicken Preparations and a Competition!

Looking up from the new chicken area a few minutes ago!
We have been very lucky with the weather today but just as I went out to take some photos it started to rain, so I hope you appreciate the fact that I got wet, just so I could share some of the work we have done today! The gate has been modified so Jon can get the sit on lawnmower through. I think Nephew 3 did a great job!
I too was busy, I have these candle holders knocking around the garden for BBQ's so I nailed them to the posts and found some redundant artificial flowers destined for the charity shop.
The henhouse is really coming along! The base is our old gate and all the wood is from our stable. If you look at the side you will see the opening which eventually will lead to a nesting box. There will be three nesting boxes in all. Behind the plastic bag is the main entrance. We have some perspex type material, originally the window of the redundant shed, directly behind the hen house. Yes, our hens will have their very own patio doors! The shed is now a luxurious hotel to the bees which have set up nest in there. The entire project has cost us the price of the chicken wire, nails and some hinges. Everything else has been recycled from stuff we had lying around the place.
I have decided on the names for the 6 hens we are getting... Shirley, Beverley, Eva, May, Olwyn and Mable! Good old traditional names! Hopefully we will get the hens this weekend, if not it will be early next week! Now, I thought we could have some fun...
Look at the photograph and have a guess as to what Jon is doing in the airing cupboard! It isn't anything illeagal! lol! Have a guess in the comment section! The winner will receive one of my cards! Talking of cards I have decided to study my hens and capture them in paints, which I will then use around our house and make some card too! Go on, have a go!
For other skywatchers, visit here
Update 6pm Friday!
Posted by Picasa
Congratulations Gerald! Indeed Jon was monitoring the cider...with his stethescope! lol! Checking on if it was still making any noises! e-mail me your address & I'll get cards in post!

21 comments:

Dagrun said...

I think he's looking for his lost keys... *lol*

Happy SWF from Norway. :)

Pearl Maple said...

Looking for the right nesting materials.

Fun photos for sky watch friday.

Rune Eide said...

Maybe he is just getting some air?

mrsnesbitt said...

Dagrun....

Nope!

Pearl maple....

Nope

Rune..............
could be slightly near the answer!

Gennasus said...

At least you missed the downpours that some places have been getting!

How great that you're getting chickens. We have five - Hilda, Doris, Maud, Mildred and Mavis - they're fab. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. I'll pop back to see them.

Had a quick look at your duck on a bike photos. We were biking in a heatwave just recently, even on the move it was hot! Not complaining though, it could have been raining.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I always appreciate the tales you tell as well to go with the images, soggy or dry.

mrsnesbitt said...

Weather update...Pouring Down! Project stopped for the moment! But will resume asap!


So what was Jon doing????

Rune Eide said...

I'll have new go at it:

How about airing his troubles? :-)

Gennasus said...

Forgot to guess what Jon is doing.

Baking bread? (My mother used to put hers in the airing coupboard to rise)

I think a clue is needed.

mrsnesbitt said...

A clue.................
hmmmmmmmmm
read back over the last few entries here!
You are wanting to win I can see! I can feel it! lol!

Larry D said...

Lovely photos and post. OK is he looking for rain gear?

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

from the clues you gave rune and without reading back - is he bleeding the heating system?

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

ah now i've checked back he's checking on the progress of the cider brew.

jabblog said...

I admire you for taking the time to take photographs, busy bee that you are. The rain is wonderful - great for the complexion! (Keep repeating until you're convinced.)

Anonymous said...

Being a late-comer to your post I was going to say Jon was keeping warm! Horrid weather we're having at the moment. The Farmer found some drenched buzzards this morning, nowhere to shelter.

I'm very impressed that you recycled old stuff and made that super enclosure. And I know what you mean about the rain, thanks for taking the photos and sharing them.

CJ xx

CherryPie said...

Wow! you have been busy!

Kath said...

Hello! I have enjoyed my visit. I checked your other blogs and I had to laugh at the whole duck thing. Years ago, my friends Mum knitted me this totally mad, brightly coloured patchwork jumper. I took it everywhere I went and had a photo taken of myself wearing it, all over the coutry, rather like the ducks travels.best wishes Kath www.railwaycottage.blogspot.com

Mrs Mac said...

My neighbours have 6 chickens They gie us eggs sometimes. I scramble them and they are sooooo orange!

Sara said...

Hope you get that chook house finished before that cider's ready! Hubby's DIY skills always go a bit wonky when he's been at the scumpy!! Love the names you've chosen for your hens. I can't wait to meet them. xx

Inday said...

Chickens are fun to have around. We let our roam free so they could enjoy more freedom. They were far too many to name and we never named them. What a shame!

Nice post and what fun you have over there letting readers guess what's your Jon been up to. :)

Good morning from Down Under.

sunnymama said...

I really love the first picture! Very lovely :)