28.7.09

B

B is for Bee Luxury Hotel! We were all set to clear out the log shed and use it for the chickens. As I leaned into the shed I heard a distinct buzzing! Our neighbour is a bee keeper so he came over to assess the situation. Bumble bees! We will leave them to their luxury accomodation! This is why the new hen house was built. The arrival of the chickens is imminent! I am sure you can guess what my C is going to be next week!
B is for my Baskets. I used the seeds produced by my nasturtiums from last year! I love colourful baskets and at a cost of nothing the results are Beautiful!
B is for Brocolli....sprouting type. This is one of my favourite vegetables which I am growing in my raised bed.
Next year I will grow more vegetables, this is my first attempt! Although we have nearly 1/3 of an acre the size does daunt me and I have to make separate areas easier to manage. My ABC Round 5 is all about our efforts to lead a more sustainable way of life. The great inspiration for this came from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, a talented writer, broadcaster and campaigner, widely known for his uncompromising commitment to seasonal, ethically produced food. His books, journalism and series for Channel 4 have earned him a huge popular following. Hugh started living in the original River Cottage in rural Dorset in 1998, determined to start growing and rearing some of his own food. His steep learning curve was documented in the Escape to River Cottage series (1999), which won him a big audience. Following this success, and the publication of The River Cottage Cookbook (2001) which won several awards, he was able to establish River Cottage HQ near Bridport in 2004. Originally a collection of mucky cow sheds, the property was transformed into a rustic, welcoming venue with a professional kitchen, thriving vegetable garden and small collection of livestock. It became the location for a range of River Cottage events and courses designed to promote the “grow your own” philosophy and provide an environment where people could discuss, eat and learn about really good, well-produced food. It was the base for the fourth series, Beyond River Cottage (2004) In 2004, Hugh published The River Cottage Meat Book to wide acclaim. It has become the definitive meat cookery manual for a new generation and won the AndrĂ© Simon Food Book of the Year Award in 2004. Hugh and the team are now moving onwards and upwards. In 2006, we relocated to a new, permanent home on the Devon-Dorset border – Park Farm. Until recently, this was a traditional, family-run farm. It had fallen into disuse, but the River Cottage team are restoring it to its former state of busy productivity, raising livestock and growing a huge range of fresh produce to supply the kitchen and the new, improved range of events. The latest River Cottage series, The River Cottage Treatment was broadcast in November 2006, to much acclaim, and The River Cottage Fish Book will be published shortly. Hugh's latest project could involve taking on the supermarket giants as he opens his own River Cottage shop and canteen, near Park Farm, selling local, seasonal food. Hugh continues to write journalism, including a weekly column in The Guardian. He lives in Dorset with his wife Marie and their children, Oscar, Freddie and Chloe. He is Patron of the National Farmers’ Retail and Markets Association (FARMA). He is passionate about animal welfare and his Chicken Out Campaign brought awareness to the plight of intensive farming!

30 comments:

Kath said...

He was also on Desert Island Discs on Sunday and is a huge WHO fan! Kath x

Rune Eide said...

You seem to have picked yourself a worth theme for your round - and are off to a good start!

Mari said...

Wow, that second basket! So big!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Like the bee story - seems their need is greater than yours!
Also like the look of those simple raised beds - sprouting broc is also my favourite (first broad beans tomorrow though).

Jay said...

I did a blog about Hugh's Chicken Out campaign quite a long time ago. I was already refusing to buy battery eggs or chicken and I liked his commitment to the cause.

I like your bee hotel! And your nasturtium baskets are lovely. Whenever I grow them they're always decimated by cabbage white caterpillars .. because I can't bring myself to kill them. :p

Sara said...

Bees are an incredibly important B, I'm so glad yours chose to nest where they did - they must have sensed you were a bee friendly person. Can't wait to meet the C's!!!

Mara said...

I love the orange flowers, very summery!

Leslie: said...

What a fun post today! You've really set yourself a challenging course, though, but from what I know of you, you'll manage to succeed. I've been following along about the chickens and I think I know what next week's post will be all about! LOL :D

CherryPie said...

Love the bees :-)

Janie said...

I'm glad the chickens don't have to share accommodations with the bees!
Beautiful hanging baskets! A more sustainable way of life is a worthy goal.

Jane Hards Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane Hards Photography said...

That deleted was me. Link acting strangely. Just like you a busy little bee

lv2scpbk said...

Beautiful flowers. My B is up.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm glad you let the insects BEE, I mean Be.

Tumblewords: said...

Great nasturtiums. I tried them from seed once time with little results, so I am envious. Of course. I might be self-sufficient this year if I can survive on 8-12 tomatoes (mostly cherry size) and 2 dozen strawberries (which I've already eaten). Well, maybe next year. I love the way you dove right in and planted things. :)

Roan said...

Love the flowers, not fond of bees, but can't wait to see the chickens!

Joanna said...

That's quite a bee condominium! Where we live (Vancouver Island) the bees were really declining but there seems to have been a resurgence. Interesting post about the Chicken Out Campaign. More people need to think about these things.

Rose said...

Your vegetable garden is a 1/3 of an acre?? I am so impressed, Denise! You must be very busy keeping up with that. I don't grow broccoli, although it's a vegetable I love. Right now we are overrun with green Beans:) Your nasturtiums are lovely; I planted some this year, too, after seeing them in so many gardens last year. Great B's, and can't wait to see your chickens!

Q said...

Sustainable living is my goal too.
I grow some of my vegetables in the backyard and belong to a CSA (Community Sustainable Agriculture). This program is excellent . We have partnered with an organic farmer and once a week we pick up our produce and eggs from her. It is good for the farmer and for the city dweller!
Love your baskets and your commitment to sustainable living.
Sherry

Anonymous said...

"The arrival of my chickens is imminent" what a great sentence! And I LOVE your bees. Very cool. We need them so much, don't we? Great B post today!

Regina said...

Beautiful blooms!

Marie said...

Very nice post, Mrs Nesbitt! Nasturtiums are "capucines" in French. Capucine is my little granddaughter's name.

Dragonstar said...

Great B's Denise. The Bumbles are lucky Bs, your Baskets are Beautiful, and Broccoli is a favourite of mine.

becky aka theRAV said...

Hi Denise! Sorry I haven't participated in awhile but I do have a B post today which I think is a blessing. You had a lot of b's today too.

Heather said...

Your nasturtium baskets are so cheerful and I'm glad you let the bees stay. Your veg plot looks very productive - I grow a few in containers as we are plagued by slugs and snails and I try to be organic. I am a fan of Hugh F-Ws and bought food from the shop in Axminster when we were on holiday nearby last year. Everything from there was excellent. Thankyou for visiting my blog - nice to meet you too.

Judi said...

Very nice! I'm thoroughly enjoying this meme.

Susan English Mason said...

I didn't know we could pick more than one thing that starts with the letter. That is so cool! I can't believe those beautiful baskets were free.

Gennasus said...

I'm so glad the bees have found such a grand home, they need all the help they can get.

Can't wait to see your chickens!

nonizamboni said...

Wonderful 'b' post. Bees and chickens; it really doesn't get any better, except for possibly ducks ;O)
Happy Wednesday, Denise!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Your nasturtiums are looking wonderful! I like the idea of harvesting the seeds for next year - will look into how to do that! Re your comment on my SWF just now - blue skies in October-Feb (which I love) usually mean cold, but here, now, despite the rain and wind on the day I took those pics, it's still quite warm, don't you think? (I'm originally from Yorks BTW.) Janice.