Moi Age 7!
When I was about 9 I went to Brownies. As part of the session we were asked to spell Mississippi! I spelt it Mrs Sippy! I thought it was the name of Brown Owl the leader!
One of my favourite activities was to go to jumble sales. Many of the neighbours looked out for me as they were aware of our situation at home. In those days there were few one parent families. One lady in particular, Mrs Cripps ran regular jumble sales at the local church. Like so many other children I loved going to these events and on one occasion as I entered the church Mrs Cripps called me over. She had put to one side a baby doll for me. It was quite tall and dressed in shocking pink hand knitted clothes. Everything from a bonnet, jacket, leggings, booties, gloves. The full works! I was really awe-struck and thanked her with a profuse enthusiasm ( as I had been brought up ALWAYS to say Thank you!)
I ran home to show mum.
"I hope you said Thank you to Mrs Cripps Denise! " were her first words.
"I did mum!"
"Good! That was very kind of her you know!"
"I know mum!"
I went upstairs to my room with my new doll.
Being a typical 8 year old the first thing I did with my new doll was to undress her.
I took all her clothes off, but as I removed her bonnet I made a shocking discovery....the doll only had half a head! The back of her head had been stuffed with newspaper and concealed with the bonnet!
I could see all of the mechanisms which controlled her opening and closing eyes!
Being the inquisitive potential nurse I examined the intricate workings with a pencil!
As I poked about I heard a "snap" and part of the plastic structure snapped off!
I panicked and dressed the doll, taking pains to pack in the newspaper into her head.
I sat the doll on my dressing table and all was well......well to start with.
A few moments later, as I was looking at my doll one of the eyes rolled and looked directly at me! Can you believe it? Can you imagine the terror it struck in the heart of an unsuspecting 8 year old like myself?
The mechanism I had broken controlled one of the eyes of the doll!
from then on I was absolutely petrified of the doll.
I couldn't tell mum as she would have reminded me how kind Mrs Cripps had been and how ungrateful and thoughtless I had been to break such a lovely kind gesture!
So I was stuck with it!
I found a place for it where I could not see its face, but often I would hear the mechanism move, for no reason the eye would roll and always seem to end up looking right at me....well it would at that age!
I attended a Salvation Army Sunday School. The Sunday School Trip was an annual treat!
Now the Salvation Army makes a stand against any form of gambling, including Bingo.
Auntie Dot and Auntie Joan went to the bingo once a week.
On one of the Sunday School trips we went to Whitby and it rained all day.
Escaping from the dreadful weather, mum and I went to play Bingo!
As luck would have it I won!
Now in those days we didn't have a choice, we were given the prize.
As a 9 year old I was given what every young girl dreams of, a bright blue, 3 tier plastic vegetable rack!
It was hardly the type of thing I could hide under my coat, away from the Major's prying eyes!
The Major was standing on the steps of the coach as mum and I approached.
I could see her looking at me in an enquiring way but I gave her a smile which indicated that THE thing to buy in Whitby was not a toffee apple or a stick of rock I could see other children had brought onto the coach! No! THE thing to have was a bright blue, 3 tier plastic vegetable rack!
I can tell you the journey home was rather uncomfortable and I had a lattice imprint on my thigh for the rest of the day! LOL! Still, it found a good use in the kitchen!
To see more contributions to ABC Wednesday click on the logo in the sidebar, or simply go here!
31 comments:
You might have said that the 3 tier plastic vegetable rack was for Mrs. Sippy... :-)
Lol :)
I can understand that the oneyed-doll scared you, poor litle girl ;)
Denise - that doll story is lovely and so typical of how a child would feel. I can imagine your terror at that eye!
Next time you come our way let me know - you must have passed very close to our farm and we would have been delighted to give you a cuppa.
Heeh Denise as ever, you're always havin a cjhild insie yourself!
Happy ABC from JoAnn/Holland
What a lovely story! And also being a former teacher, I can relate very well! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog and your comment! love ABC Wednesday, really enjoy participating!
Hi Denise! I loved the doll story! Thanks for sharing. And I like your photos of Wilma too!
What delightful tales of childhood : ). Totally made me smile!
Very funny read, Denise. I'm going to be laughing for the rest of the day now.
I think there's something very spooky about certain dolls anyway and your experience with the stuffed head must have been horrific!
You gave me a good laugh. I have to tell me about a doll I found in the wood to years ago. I had to right her a story, because she had only one leg.You can see the photoes her:
http://21832.vgb.no/2007/11/29/dukke-med-ett-ben-soker-julenissendel-1/
She, the doll, was afraid of me and did not want me to take photoes. She asked me to put the rug over her again. Then she was waiting for Santa Claus. Do you think he saved her?
The rest og the story is here:
http://21832.vgb.no/2007/11/29/dukke-med-ett-ben-reddet-i-siste-litendel-2/
I saved her. She is a guest in my house now, and the grandchildren loves her.
Happy Easter to you!
Mrs Sippy, wonderful. You will give me a laugh every time I see the name Mississippi
oh what a great story. It made me think back to my childhood and a visit my Mother and I made to NY City when I was 6 to stay with my Great Aunt. All I remember of that trip is the Statue of Liberty and my terror at sleeping in the spare bedroom where all the antique dolls were kept on shelves. There were so many of them and they all seemed to be watching me. I told my Mother and she told me not to say anything as to appear ungrateful. Funny what scares a child.....Michelle
LoL so lovely, thanks for sharing :-)
I am still laughing at the Mrs Sippy quip. That's a stand up gag in case you ever go down that road. Deinitely another fabulous tale for the memeoirs. I have a little surprise image today for your visit.
What a wonderful story!! Thanks, Denise.
My next-door neighbor once repaired a doll that had lost half of her head at the hands of the bullies up the street, leaving 5-year-old me in tears. She did it the same way, with a bonnet to hide the absorbent cotton she had used for stuffing. Fortunately my doll had painted eyes that could not roll to look at me! I can imagine how that would have frightened you!
Terrific stories from your childhood. I really could understand your feelings. The precious doll turning into a "monster" was heart tugging to say the least. Great L choice.
Such cute stories from your childhood. Mrs. Sippy made me laugh.
That doll sounds like something out of a Stephen Kind novel!
Oh my gosh. I'd be afraid of a loose-eyed doll even now - at my age. Poor kid. Great read!
Thank you for this great meme :). I love your photo with the laugh. I can imagine how horrified you were with the doll, while reading about the bright blue, 3 tier plastic vegetable rack was amusing. Best wishes.
Sweet memories of green paradise.
As a child I was terrified of the antiques shop in my grandparent's town, where there would be bins of dismembered doll parts. *shudder* I still find dolls pretty creepy!
enjoyed the doll incident !
LOL
The wandering-eyed doll would scare me now! And I'm 43 hehe.
LOL! Love the vegetable rack story!
And I can identify with being afraid of your doll. I had two dolls that scared me - one was a 'teenage' doll. Not a Barbie type, but a 14" model, and she had rolling eyes, complete with thick eyelashes. I wonder if I'd caught stray movement from them, and that's why I used to shut her in the wardrobe every night?
The other was a doll that someone had given me (yes, another kind gesture, not to be ungrateful about) and was actually made from two dolls; one head and a different body. It gave me the creeps!
And thus L is for LOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!! Loved it, Denise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loved your doll story; not that I can really identify with it - I didn't have any dolls. LOL.
A wonderful rememberance, Denise. Thank you for giving us some laughs. Your writing is so charming and brings the scenes to mind so vividly. I would of been freaked out by the doll too.
Hi Denise! I was just wondering if you got the email about "getting to know you" from my work email address? I have my L post up now.
LOVED your's.
I remember Brownies very well and jumble sales. I loved them too.
CJ xx
Great stories! Mrs Sippy - I love that :) Mississippi was one of the first words I remember learning to spell, and it was this way:
M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback-humpback-I
I also remember learning to spell "pneumonia" and I was very proud because I could spell it really fast, so I'd walk around going peeeneeeyouemoheneyea. The adults must have thought I was a morbid little girl.
Post a Comment