21.3.09

ABC Wednesday...J IS FOR...JACK!

Friday 55 Flash Fiction is brought to you by G-man (Mr Knowitall). The idea is you write a story in exactly 55 words. If you want to take part pop over and let G-man know when you've posted your 55. Here is mine for this week!

Missing

Gentle Man kind blue eyes wearing a loving broad smile.

Smart appearance, tweed jacket and matching hat.

Interests include his family, home and garden.

Endearing sense of humour and a very generous nature,

Looking after all around him.

Last seen August thirteenth nineteen eighty six

Answers to the name of John Henry Davison, Dad.

The greatest gift I ever received come from God, I call him Dad! - Anonymous
John Henry Davison came into my life when I was 7. Mum had just got a new job at the prestigious ICI, Wilton Training Centre. One of the Training officers was John Davison, or Jack as he was known. Mum was one of the secretaries. This was her first job following the harrowing divorce she had gone through, a visit from the bailiffs to strip the house we lived in, seizing goods to cover my biological father's bankrupted business debts, a nervous breakdown. Mum borrowed the deposit for a small terraced house from her 2 brothers, Uncle Bob and Uncle Stan. It needed lots doing to it, including total rewiring. We all know how single women are targeted by unscrupulous workmen, and back in the 1960's things were no different, so Jack helped Mum by making sure she was not taken for a ride. He also helped where he could, as electrics were his "thing!" The very first time he came to our house I was introduced to "Uncle Jack!" Years later I learned he had been more nervous than me! I was playing with my doll's house. He spent time talking to me and I liked him. He re-wired my doll's house, I had the best there was! Independent switches in each of the rooms, as a real house would. Over the years a friendship developed and he would visit us every Saturday. It was quite a treck for him as he did not drive and travelled from just outside Guisborough. Mum eventually introduced him to her own parents. My Grandad, a man of few words took him out for a walk! He wanted to know his intentions as Mum had been through so much. Jack assured him he had her and mine best interests at heart. Grandad was re-assured and a great friendship was kindled between them. Jack liked a flutter on the horses. He and his brother Frank would visit the races and shadow the big horse trainers. He noticed they seldom backed their own horses. Jack and Frank would bet the same horses, and win! Our family always had a flutter on the Grand National. In 1967 we all picked our choices. The family studied the form, I at 11 looked at the numbers. I figured 100 to 1 sounded good! Everybody laughed, but I went ahead. Jack took everybody's money and the bets were placed. Foinavon, my choice won! £50 was a lot of money then! LOL! My Nana really took a shine to Jack. He would sit with her and talk about this that and the other. Nana was ill and as her health deteriorated in 1970 we kew she was gravely ill. On one of his visits as Jack sat with Nana she drew him close and asked him to promise he would look after Madge and Denise....he promised. On June 17th, 1970, Nana died. On November 1st Uncle Jack and mum were married, the day before mum's birthday. We moved to a bungalow and after a couple of years we all moved to Guisborough, Dad's home. Mum and I loved this change although by this time I was at University. Mum and Dad were both still working at ICI. Dad had a very stressful job and in 1983 he suffered a massive heart attack. It resulted in him having to stop work. In those days ICI was one of the best emloyers, with very good benefits. Both Dad and Mum left with "Golden Handshakes". Mum decided to leave in order to ensure Dad had the rest he was to need. Happy with their bungalow in Guisborough, they bought a static caravan at Rosedale Abbey. They loved to visit and stay whenever they had the time. Infact, the photograph above was indeed taken in the caravan, by mum. On the morning of August 13th 1986, whilst staying at the caravan, Dad told mum he would prefer go home. He wasn't feeling very well. They had planned on going to Egton Country Show, one of their all time favourites. They packed up and set off for home. It would have been a very busy day on the roads. Holiday traffic. The Whitby to Guisborough Road in particular! As the car passed Gisborough Hall, Dad brought the car to a stop and slumped forward.He had died, literaly at the wheel. I was teaching in Nottingham at the time. I received the news later that afternoon and returned home the following day. This was to be a turning point in my life. I was to return home and look after mum. I had a fantastic relationship with Dad, he was indeed my Dad. Notice how he suddenly evolved as Dad from Uncle Jack? It was the same in our relationship. I don't know when it happened, it just did. One day I just called him Dad! Dad recounted the event to mum..he had cried at the time, privately, with pride and love. I often sit in Dad's chair and remember him. When Dad was at school he learned the poem " Meg Merilles" off by heart. This he would recite when his teacher asked the class to stand up, one by one and sing. Dad was incredibly shy as well as tone deaf, this was his contribution. Here is the poem in it's original form, for Dad!
Meg Merrilies Old Meg she was a gypsy; And liv'd upon the moors: Her bed it was the brown heath turf, And her house was out of doors. Her apples were swart blackberries, Her currants, pods o' broom; Her wine was dew of the wild white rose, Her book a church-yard tomb. Her brothers were the craggy hills, Her sisters larchen trees; Alone with her great family She liv'd as she did please. No breakfast had she many a morn, No dinner many a noon, And 'stead of supper she would stare Full hard against the moon. But every morn, of woodbine fresh She made her garlanding, And every night the dark glen yew She wove, and she would sing. And with her fingers old and brown She plaited mats o' rushes, And gave them to the cottagers She met among the bushes. Old Meg was brave as Margaret Queen, And tall as Amazon: An old red blanket cloak she wore, A chip hat had she on. God rest her aged bones somewhere — She died full long agone! John Keats

42 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

What a lovely tribute to Jack, your dad. He must have been an incredibly wonderful man.

Rune Eide said...

I have no problem understanding your choice of J. There are not many of those around.

Reader Wil said...

Denise, this is a great tribute to your dad and to your mum as well. I followed your example and told about my brave mum who kept us alive in the Japanese concentration camp. My "J" is Japanese concentration camps on Java. Not a nice subject eh?

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

What a fantastic story, a great tribute to a father. Lovely to meet your Jack Denise.

xoxo Tyra

Granny Smith said...

What a wonderful tribune to your "real" Dad - the one who was there for you when you needed him.

XX

Rinkly Rimes said...

Isn't it wonderful that we can honour people long gone in this very personal way. Good old Jack!

gone to the dogs said...

A very nice tribute to someone who was very important in you life. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story about your Dad. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Nave said...

Now who can beat that :) Wonderful narration maam.. truly loved the post as I love your initiative !! Way to go!!!

That poem from Keats just added to the charm :) Thank you for sharing such wonderful moments ... I started missing my dad who is back home in a different state :)

naturglede/Randi Lind said...

I love your tribute to Jack, your dad. Have a fun abc:)

annalarssonphotography said...

I love your story of your dad - thanks for sharing it with us! :)

My J is up too!
Happy ABC!

Katney said...

How blest you and your mum were to have him in your life.

ChrisJ said...

Wonderful story, Denise. And I love that poem. It's years since I read it. Incidentally, I used to teach in Nottingham at Berridge Road Junior School. I had digs at Premier Road across from the Goose Fair fairgrounds.

Leslie: said...

I always enjoy reading about your Dad, Jack. My Dad's name was Jack as well AND my sweetie's Dad's name was Jack too! What a great name!

Gordon said...

Thanks for sharing; a wonderful tribute to Jack.

Jane Hards Photography said...

This is very personal. I feel I could be intruding through your mind. Lovely post again You share more than I could.

Vicky said...

Indeed God has sent someone like Jack to you and your dear mum. Thanks for sharing such wonderful part of your life with us.

Andree said...

What a beautiful story, Denise. It broke my heart even though they enjoyed a wonderful life together. I don't want those stories to end like that.

Richard Lawry said...

What a beautiful story and lovely tribute.

An Arkies Musings

Tumblewords: said...

What a sweet tribute - and a lovely, warm story.

Unknown said...

Wonderful story of yr beloved DAD.Sweet & warm story and tribute.
Have a nice day.

Sherrie said...

Hi Mrs. Nesbitt,
What a wonderful story about your dad!! Love that poem! Thanks for sharing your J -Jack story! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Miss_Yves said...

Beautiful tribute to your father.
Have a wednesday full of joy!

Jay said...

A wonderful post, and a lovely tribute to your Dad. My grandfather was a John, known as Jack, too. Just reading that takes me back to my childhood and the warm, much loved, feeling of being with Nanny and Grandad.

I've always liked that poem. So evocative.

Neva said...

Denise....what a charming man he sounds like ...you are a very lucky girl to have had him in your life. I loved reading about him.

Anonymous said...

How beautifully you have written this tribute to your beloved Uncle/Dad. It is quite true is it not, that old saying "anyone can be a father, it takes someone special to be a dad".

CJ xx

photowannabe said...

A very touching and perfect post for J. Thanks for sharing Denise.

Janie said...

These are such touching memories. He sounds like such a wonderful person and a perfect dad.

Dragonstar said...

A wonderful man Denise, and a lovely post.

Anonymous said...

I know that is a happy story really but it made me feel very tearful.

One of my sons is called Jack. I hope he turns out to be the kind of man your dad was.

Tash said...

I stopped by briefly before work this morning & loved the photo. Now I have teary eyes from your story. He was a really wonderful man and I am so glad your Dad came into your life.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

I also won on Foinavon but not fifty quid

abb said...

Such a sweet story. Your dad was a wonderful human, Denise.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Hullo!!! I like yor long posts they ar always a good reed an a small Bear likes to keep his grey matter tickold :@}

I'm goin to hav a blog pawty this weekend to sellybrate my 500th post :@} wud yu like to pop by?

Festivitys kik off tomorro at noon UK time an larst till midnite Sunday!
Pleez come by!
Leev sum jokes in the comments sekshun ov Friday's post fer evrywun.

Weel be havin cayke, ginger beer, scooby snaks an a serprize speshul gest!!!!!

Pleez come it won't be the sayme wivowt yu!

:@D

Carolina said...

Enjoyed reading about your dad Jack. Found it lovely that you actually remember which horse you put your money on. That must have been a great event!

Nydia said...

And he was blessed with a child who'd grow up recognizing him as a light. Beautiful post, never get tired of reading this story. Sorry for being absent so often, I try to keep myself updated on my friends' blogs, but as I said before, when I'm at my home-to-be, it will be easier!

Kisses!

PS: Loved also the photos under the bridge! :o)

Libby said...

not blogging as much as you used too? Hope everything is OK with you.

Libby x

ArneA said...

Have a nice weekend
:)

Trubes said...

That was a lovely story about your dad (Jack), Denise. How blessed you and your Mum were to have him.
I too remember reciting Meg Merrilees at school , it made me sad as she had so little and yet was kind to others.

Di.x

Carolyn said...

The is such a beautiful rememberance of a man well loved. Thank you so much for sharing this special person.
Smiles

i beati said...

I feel now I know JACK thanks Sandy

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Your tribute made me cry! Your dad was definately one of nature's gentlemen. I'm so glad he found you and your mum.