Me, the blonde in the middle!

Junk mail is a common place in the everyday life in the Nesbitt household. This day was no different.
The letter arrived, addressed to me and I glanced over the contents before tossing it to one side.
Did they think I was stupid?
They were after my money, that wasall!
Well dream on soldier, you’ve picked the wrong one here.
I had visions of people all over the UK getting similar letters.
Watchdog would be featuring it as the latest scam…hey I may even be on TV!
The letter was left on the work surface and I carried on with my morning jobs.
Jon came home at lunch time and as we had a cup of tea I remembered the letter.
I showed it to him and we both laughed.
Sure, somebody was trying to trace a Denise Nesbitt! LOL!
There was a number to call…yes right!
No doubt premium rate…yes yes, heard it all before.
Seemed a normal number,
I called.
Answer machine……
I left a message.
Went to the shops.
On my return Jon said there had been a phone call….could I phone again!
Asked for the name on the bottom of the letter…..
A conversation followed, mentioning certain names, dates and circumstances…..I indeed was the Denise Nesbitt somebody was trying to trace.
There have been only a few moments in my life which has deemed me speechless….but this was certainly one of them.
It would seem the family of my biological male parent were wanting to contact me.
I use the words biological male parent with particular care and deliberation. Notice I do not use the words natural father, because he could never be that! People often use the word “natural” as a compliment, as in being a “natural teacher” or “She’s a natural you know!”
NO, certainly not a natural father, he never knew what it meant as he never owned up to the responsibility, choosing instead a life of drink and violence, having several affairs bringing about his business going bankrupt.
I do remember however his mother, my nana from Hull. I also remember her grand daughter; my cousin I suppose called Pattie.
Silence.
I didn’t know what to say.
Panic!
There was a phone number given to me.
I wrote it down.
Eventually I drummed up the courage to make the phone call.
Pattie’s mum. Brenda.
Apparently nana from Hull had always wanted to know how I was getting on and in deed wanted to get in touch.
Following a re-union on some programme or other she had written a letter to the BBC asking them to find me.
The letter was never delivered as she was involved in a traffic accident on route to the post box.
She died with the letter still on her person.
Her daughter, Pattie’s mother was now finishing the quest her own mother had set out to achieve.
When I spoke she cried.
I have that effect on some people, but I did find myself with a lump in my throat.
All these years, people had been thinking about me.
Then she told me….he was still alive.
Well, they say the good die young and this could not have been so true.
When I think of all the lovely family and friends who we have lost and to think HE was still alive beggars belief.
“Your Dad…”
“No, he’s not my Dad” I spoke quickly, didn’t want to utter the words.
Apparently HE has a photo of me as a young child!
Big Deal eh!
I thought of MY DAD, Jack, who had looked after mum and I, helping mum to build a life following the dreadful divorce and nervous breakdown…….I felt I was betraying him, by having this conversation.
Panic again!
Sensing my rising hysteria Brenda assured me she was doing this for her mum, nana from Hull, HE didn’t feature.
“Let’s keep it that way!” I insisted.
Phew!
She was overjoyed, ecstatic, thrilled and emotional.
I was miffed.
Touched yes, people had been thinking and wondering about me.
Brenda gave me Pattie’s number.
“She’d love to hear from you Denise.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
I called….
Tears again, Denise, it’s you…it’s you!
There followed some moments of recollection, memories remembered and shared.
She asked me if there was anything she could do.
Yes….never ever let HIM know you have spoken to me.
I begged.
This was scary!
She assured me.
“Do you have any photographs?” I asked.
She said she would have a look.
I left her my phone number.
To have all of this unfolding was all too much for me to deal with.
That night I talked extensively with Jon…….
What I intended to do…..was it confrontation? Humiliation? Annihilation?
I needed some time to think.
A couple of weeks later Pattie phoned me.
“Pattie, Pattie who?”
I had completely forgotten.
“Your long lost cousin Pattie!”
Oh yes,it all came flooding back.
I explained how, in my own heart and conscience I could never ever have any contact with “him” How, I had a Dad, a proper Dad my own Dad who I had loved, respected, adored and now sorely missed.
I didn’t want to know of “him” how he was, how he had been, I wasn’t in the least bit moved by the fact he had a photograph of me, it meant nothing.
Keeping a photograph in a pocket does not display any great parental quality, it meant absolutely nothing, I wasn’t touched, moved or even bothered,.
The opportunity to reflect came in the form of our wonderful holiday.
In my mind, in my own little world, as we travelled around on the motorbike I pieced together bits and pieces, trying to comprehend the situation, planning how to deal with it all.
I guess a bit like osmosis the important bits filtered through, the rest has simply washed away.
Nothing has changed.
One thing I did realise was the fact that I am Denise Nesbitt. I have no part of any of His name anymore. As a child I just had the name of a person I never knew, only feared. The name stayed until I was married, when I had a choice, when I embraced the name of Mrs Nesbitt. I remember my class of 7 year olds practising, on the first registration following our wedding they all said together, “Good Morning Mrs. Nesbitt!” It brought a lump in my throat.
There may be the odd phone call from Pattie, but that is it. That’s all there will ever be.
I have got this far with those who are with me and have loved me.
I don’t need anything else.
"May the East fling open your windows,
and fill your rooms with air;
May the South send you strong sunshine,
and give you the strength to dare;
May the West wash rivers into your heart,
and oceans into your soul;
May the North share the secrets and gifts of the earth,
to heal and make you whole."
M. Flanders
and fill your rooms with air;
May the South send you strong sunshine,
and give you the strength to dare;
May the West wash rivers into your heart,
and oceans into your soul;
May the North share the secrets and gifts of the earth,
to heal and make you whole."
M. Flanders
Thanks for the inspirational quote Blue, it says it all!
39 comments:
Holy, moses!
Oh, Denise I feel for you.
But so glad you moved on, found & sadly lost a 'real' father and found family hapiness with Mr Nesbitt.
I too have bad personal paternal memories, which leave me feeling little for 'family'.
Am pleased I posted the poem & you saw & used it.
Love
Blue
Blue,
Thanks so much.
Yes, a pretty dodgy few weeks I can tell you, but I am through it all now.
The poem just summed a few things up.
Great stuff!
Dxx
Hello, this is my first time commenting on your blog; I came over to tell you I've joined ABC Wednesday for the first time (you probably already saw me on Mr. Linky) and while I was here I started reading this post and had to see how it ended. We see those "long-lost relatives find each other" tales on TV now and then and they alway intrigue most of us I think. I can't really say I know how you feel, not having been in that situation, but you describe your feelings very well and I can certainly understand the panic and your conclusion to the story. A poignant story indeed. What a blessing your mother found the loving, obviously wonderful man who was your true father.
Your post touched my heart, Denise. My children's biological male parent was not a cruel person, just totally self-absorbed and irresponsible. We divorced when our four children were very young. Seven years later, I married a fine man who, after 2 years of marriage, formally adopted my children. He cared for them in a way their biological parent could not have understood and gave them a security they would never otherwise have known. Although the circumstances of our lives are different, I think I can understand how you must have felt when the 'voice from the past' came unbidden to your door.
What an amazing post- filled with emotional ups and downs, and finished with a beautiful setting-free sentiment!! Fabulous!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa
I am glad you worked your way through that. The poem is beautiful :-)
This is my first time here and I had to stay a while and read...your post was so moving, so emotional, I really felt for you. What an amazing story. But even more so, what a courageous, strong and dignified lady you are. I'm glad you have known love with your true father. You've deserved it.
I'm going to bookmark you and I'll definitely be visiting again. Next week I'd like to try the ABC Wednesday too.
OOPS! My cousin was signed on and I forgot to sign her off! I deleted the comment as if it were coming from her (just above this one). and reposted it below coming from ME!
Sorry, Mrs. N.!
Very moving post, Mrs. N. So glad you don't let the bad weigh you down and think on the positive.
And what a neat solstice poem!
Glad you shared all three (photo, too)!
It's sad that your grandmother died without finding you. I hope that the would be dad never finds you.
Thank you Denise ( nice to know your real name!) for sharing such a personal story with us...very moving and surreal. Thanks for allowing us the privilege of entering this space with you! God Bless! Karyne
Denise, my friend,
Thank goodness you made the call. There is so much in life that confronts us and I admire your courage in making the connection.
This is a memorable post on so many levels.
I salute you, on behalf of all those who have relatives they do not know about .....
God bless you and your entire family
Well put Denise, I have a similar family scenario as you know, but I think it does the soul good to write down these feelings rather than bottle them up, and you have written about them with great feeling.
Once written down we can get back to concentrating on the people we really love, and who really love us.
Thanks for sharing a very personal time.
Gary
A difficult decision to make, but as you said the decision is the right one for you.
I watched a friend make contact with her natural family and it not only tore her marriage apart but also her adoptive family! Very sad!!
Oh god, it sounds like an awaful couple of weeks - I'm so sorry!
Still debating whether or not to join ABC W. but I'll have to decide soon!
Ciao
http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogspot.com
Oh my. So moving to read. You have to write your memoirs, no doubt about it. It is mere biology that dictates who sires us. It is our humanity that makes the mothers and fathers in the true sense. Take care, tread carefully. This is overwhelmimg news to have the past thrust upon you in the present. Go away, enjoy the bikes and apporach anew another cahper in yout fascinating life.
I am doing a viking week on my blog. Think you know someone who might like the Mountain pic I have used today.
I am still covered in chill bumps after reading all the comments. What a full circle you have lived. Kudos to you for your strength and grace.
You have told us quite a story! It must have been very painful to be reminded of the man your mum was once married to and who was so abusive. You are quite right to acknowledge the man who raised you and looked after you and your mum, as your dad.You can describe very well what you experienced when your relatives phoned you. The poetry is very appropriate.
Well done Denise! You're a strong woman, partly because of your background. You understand rejection, and you know love. You are who you are. I'm glad you're through the turmoil now. I hope you find serenity.
Denise, I so appreciate your sharing such an intimate part of yourself. I believe, as others have said that there is healing in putting ones feelings down in writing. Biological is just the start of life. true love and family comes from the heart. Your Mother was so fortunate to have found someone that gave you family , a grounding and real love.
Now you can move on and be happy with what you have right now.
An amazing read for my first time here - but a good point to come in on I think.
I think it is good to confront these things sometimes - even if it does not feel good at the time - and deal with them and put them in the appropriate place. The jolts are important parts of life too. It is possible you may never have to face this again but probable you will - never try to second-guess how you will feel in the future. We never know.
But yes, it is rather sad that your grandmother died before getting in touch when she was so obviously keen to do so.
Life is the here and now though and it sounds like yours is good.
Denise, this is a very moving post, life has been tough, it is sad that you didn't get to see your grandmother. I am sure this has made you a very strong person. Take care.
What an adventure! And what an interesting experience, to be sure. You were brave to follow through.
I have been a bystander in a divorce in my family. It's a sad thing to see these things happen. Relationships change or end for no apparent reason and for reasons beyond any control. It's nice to know you were cared about in this way. God bless, Denise.
A moving story if ever I have seen one. Keep it up!!!!
Wow Denise that was heart rending - my husband saw my kids for a couple of months whilst I was living at my Mam's and then he got a girlfriend and said he really didn't have time to see the kids who were 2,4 & 6 at the time. He told them the same and siad he would keep in touch. For seven years he rang on a Friday night and spoke to all three of them in 3 in about 5 minutes. Then he decided he would see them! When they were all older and he would take them to his house and give them a meal and sit them down in front of a video and think how marvellous he was. My eldest son has stayed in touch, my daughter bother with him and my youngest son sees him about twice a year. They adore Alan and as far as they are concerned he is their father and has been for almost 18 years.
I am glad the people who contacted you were people you liked. It would have been too hard to have to face THAT MAN. Though, it could happen someday and you might want to think about what you would do.
God bless.
Wonderful post, Denise. Genuinely written from the heart.
:-Daryl
Cybercelt...
The thought of him contacting me has haunted me for years. When we were married in 1988 the story was covered in the local press.....I was worried then that he would want to trace me...but he never did. Jon knows how I feel about it all and protects me from any possible contacts which HE may make.....but the thing is, he never will. He is a weak man, no backbone, no feelings towards me....other than a photo he looks at now and again.So I am led to believe. I have sufficient loving family to protect me and to give me the love I expect from a true family.
Hi Denise, I arrived via "post of the Day", congratulations! Wow this post gave me goose bumps. I can understand that you have drawn a line under your past and want to concentrate on your life not theirs. I was reunited with my cousins for the first time in years at my Mum's funeral. They were from a different world from mine. It's good to move on.
A lovely post well done. Debs x
What a wonderful story. I'm glad you made the call.
Thank you for the LOVELY heartfelt poem you left on my blog today! I now see by this beautiful post of yours that we not only have the sea in common (actually it's my hubby with whom you share a common thread). Hubby's "father" (I use the term loosely) abandoned my mother in law when hubby was 2 yrs old and his baby brother was 6 months. Hubby's "father" divorced my MIL, made ONE childcare payment, then vanished. Hubby never knew his dad; he says he has no regrets because he never even knew him. My BIL didn't take it so easily. After years of Google searches, he finally found a death notice for their "father" -- and it said he died "FATHERLESS"! How's that for a kick!!!! My MIL was furious. Incidentally, he died on Christmas Day a few years ago. BUT my hubby is the BEST father in the world to our four children. =)
Typo, Denise... the death notice said my hubby's father died "childless". But you probably knew what I meant. =)
I agree with you, Mrs. Nesbitt, that some relatives, those who have sorely hurt us, deserve to be left in our past and to flick the memories when they start creeping in.
Hugs from Wyoming!
Jo
Holy moly what a rollercoaster!
Excellent post Denise. Written from your heart and you show how you have managed to work through it, quite rationally, logically, and come to the right conclusions for you.
I'm glad you have some contact as in knowledge of where people are and what has gone on in their lives, but I am also glad you are not compromising yourself or your dad's memory (your REAL dad that is)and only doing what YOU want to do. No more, no less.
And the poem is fantastic. Well done Blue.
You sound like a strong woman Mrs. Nesbitt! I woould assumed that the letter was a scam too.
I came from Authorblog :)
I am deeply touched by your story, Denise!
You are a strong woman that have made your own history! You should be really proud f yourself!
*Hugs*
Hmm - I'm not a brave as you are Denise to air my parental problems yet, but perhaps in time as your thoughtful post gives me encouragement to try. Glad you've found your happy ending now though.
Gosh, that's an amazing story. I can well imagine your emotions. I know you don't want any contact with your biological parent but can I ask you to consider meeting your cousin? I have a post (June 17th) that I hope will explain why.
Love to you and wilma. x
Wow, that would definitely be a shock, wouldn't it! I'm afraid my son will be telling a story like yours when he's older. Carrying a photo around for years doesn't make you a dad.
xoxoxoxoxo
Post a Comment