4.1.08

Skywatch Friday!

A Photo a Day
04.01.08
Songthrush in our front garden yesterday.




The winter's evening settles down

With smells of steaks in passageways.
Six o'clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days.
And now a gusty shower wraps
The grimy scraps
Of withered leaves across your feet
And newpapers from vacant lots;
The showers beat
On empty blinds and chimney-pots,
And at the corner of the street
A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps.
And then the lighting of the lamps.

-- T. S. Eliot

I have a book called "Poem for the Day"
This was the poem for 4th January and I felt it was appropriate for today.
T.S. Elliot died on January 4th 1965.
I was surprised as I always imagined him from an earlier time in the literature scene.

Yesterday was quite a dramatic day here with snow falling quite quickly and thickly.
It was very cold too.
Although Jon unlocked Jo's shed door at 8am he was quite happy sitting inside until later in the morning, when he came out and stood with his old bag for a while.
He has bonded with the bag of sand which was delivered for the building work Jon did last year on the shed. Each day Jo will snuggle up to the bag and nibble some sand.
When the bag was used up we ordered him another....is he spoilt or what?

As you can see his pond was frozen but he has a big bucket of fresh water each morning.
It is situated under the kitchen window.




I empty the contents on the front lawn.
There are often bits of bread which all of the birds enjoy.

Yesterday I spotted the blue tits eyeing up the birdhouse, chaffinches, blackbirds, robins and the lovely songthrush.


Wilma was at the workshop with Jon so I had Elsie for the day, as indeed I do today.
We have had her a year now and it is all prt of the plan for a harmonious home life.....but dog lovers amongst you will know that with rescued dogs this is often an area of education and great patience.

Wilma is very nervous and we are going to be taking her to an animal behaviourist as she is still spinning around and wanting to rush through doorways. The patio doors in the kitchen have knocked off their runners several times.

Elsie has a "thing" for men! (No comment! LOL)
So we are trying to interupt this pattern and she is spending more time with me.

She had a great time playing in the snow yesterday!



Here she is in our paddock.
The paddock is on the other side of this tree.

This seat was one I picked up from the tip!
I thought it looked inviting yesterday.....lovely in the snow.




Looking out, the sky looks full of snow right now, although the road is clear I wouldn't be surprised if we had another fall.
I will get a few things we need but then will spend the day here.
I got lots done yesterday and can finally say the house is getting back to normal.
Once all is sorted I will continue with some more decorating...watch this space.

Happy Skywatch Friday everybody.
This wasn't the picture I intended to show, but I like to show pictures which reflect current season or feeling!

Have a good day!





25 comments:

Jackie said...

A happy New Year to you.

Nice photos. Always loved TS Eliot's poetry.

Scarecrow said...

Goodness me Mrs N
Here I am melting over here in a heatwave and you've got SNOW!!!
Send me some please to cool me down.
:)

Poor Jo will his pond stay frozen for very long??

Happy New Year to you!!!

SandyCarlson said...

Happy New Year, Dot! That's a beautiful image of the bird, and the poem captures the mood, to be sure. That's very funny about the goose and the bag of sand!

Ali said...

Happy New Year Denise. We had snow yesterday too, it fell for about 2 hours then immediately melted away to nothing... shame really I was hoping to capture some shots myself.

I LOVE the photo of the bench btw.

Marie said...

Nice post today!

Rune Eide said...

I hope the little fellow in tree isn't freezing on his branch! Great contrast.

dot said...

Very nice post! I think all the animals around your place are spoiled!

Tom said...

A great Sky Watch picture with the Thrush.. you have a beautiful place here that I must call again when time allows. Your German Shepherd dog is very nice..

:O)
Tom

david santos said...

Great work, you are master! Tahnk you.

Happy New Year,! And best wishes for a healthy and successful 2008

1:03 PM

Texel in vogelvlucht. Gerard said...

Nice sky watch photo. two colors is enough to make a beautiful picture.
Have a nice weekend.
Gerard

Dick said...

Poor little bird, but I'm sure you take care of him.

A.Bananna said...

I miss the snow. love the pictures and the poem.

Sharon said...

Beautiful snow pictures! Pretty little dog, I hope she comes around for you. My brother has two rescues and one was abused and very nervous. He is a great dog now. :)

i beati said...

your photos are simply spectacular. I feel I'm there. thanks

FO - 2 said...

I can see that you are fond of animals. Take good care of them in the snow.

Wishing you a nice weekend and a happy new year! :)

Misty DawnS said...

I love your posts and your photos, my friend. I wish you a fantastic 2008 and look forward to spending the year with you through blogging!

artisbliss said...

Wonderful photos. Thanks for giving us a snapshot of your world!

AVCr8teur said...

Elsie and Wilma seems to enjoy the snow. My dog wouldn't venture out in the cold. He's an under the blanket dog. You're right, the bench in the snow does make a lovely picture.

photowannabe said...

You captured your home life so well. Love the birds, the snow, the bench and especially Jo bonding with the sack of sand. Now, that's a new one on me.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Oh we dident get eny sno! Will yu mayke a SnowBear for me? I wontid to mayke wun but we dident get the sno they promist! Pleez mayke wun for me!

Happy new year!

:@}

Shammickite said...

Quite snowy scenes, very nice. But I don't want to sit on that seat, I'd soon get a rather damp rear end.
Rescued dogs often have all sorts of hang-ups, do you know anything about Wilma's previous life? I had a dog who had been beaten regularly by a man with a broom. The dog sensibly didn't like men or brooms, but with some patient caring, he turned out to be a lovely dog.

Paulie said...

xukThat fat bird in the tree was great! BUT thanks for adding the snow photos -- wish we would get that much! I LOVE SNOW. Loved the story about your goose also. Think it is very spoiled tho! Ü

Nessa said...

Your doggie is so cute and the snow looks wonderful. I want some snow but it will be 60 degrees here in NJ this weekend.

Annie said...

What a cheery little view into your life today, Denise.

T.S. Eliot poems always strike me as rather morose, very poetically morose. Do you find them that way?

Andree said...

I'm glad you were lucky enough to get some snow and to enjoy it! Jo bonded with a bag of sand! How interesting. He is very handsome! My Sky Watch Friday is here.