Mum aged 12
The ability to focus attention on important things
is a defining characteristic of intelligence.
Robert J. Shiller
Mum was definately the more intelligent sibling! As her first marriage deteriorated and found mum and I alone in our new house it was her own intelligence which was to be a major factor in our future. Because she had applied herself at school she gained a place in secretarial college and achieved great results in both shorthand and typing. This was to come in really useful when she applied to ICI Wilton, an organisation famous for it's high standard of entrance qualifications. Mum was successful in gaining a position with them and soon was on the promotional journey which over the next few years would take her to the rank of Secretary to the main personel Officer.
This experience rubbed off on me and I am a firm believer in individuals having a certain amount of choice with their own futures. Work hard, achieve and you will have a certain choice with what you do in life. ..just as mum did. It allowed us to live a decent life with a good home...oh and she was to meet her future husband at ICI, but I will save that story for next week.
To see more contributions to ABC Wednesday click on the logo in the sidebar, or simply go here!

36 comments:
You have an intelligent point her :-)
More seriously; If you use the gifts you have well you stand a better chance in life.
Lots of food for thought here. An interesting post.
Of course it's better to be intelligent but is it enough for coping with every situation ?
Anyway it's a beautiful true story.
A lovely tribute to your Mum.
Hi Denise,
sweet photo of you mommy and I like your idea of intelligence.
Greetings JoAnn
Happy ABC
What a lovely tribute to your Mum! A lovely and inspiring post!
Interesting quote and nice image!
Intelligence is certainly ideal. Your mum's life shows hard work and ability leads to great success.
Very nice post Denise, it is such a lovely photo of your Mum. I leave your post with a smile.
Take Care/ Tyra
You are right! You and your mum are admirable and worked hard. My husband was often ill and I had to look after my three very young children( aged 7, 4 and 2) by myself, for my husband couldn't do so at that time. Fortunately there was work for me at the same school where my children were. And it helped, but it was hard work during the day time and in the evening we had to go to the hospital. It lasted several months until he was a bit better. Hard work is good.
Love the photo, it looks like her lips are red!
Without hard work, intelligence would not get one anywhere in life. Thankfully, for you and your Mum, she had both attributes. Kudos to her for standing up to what was right for her and her child. Impressive post today!
A lovely tribute to your Mum. I have only good things to tell about my Mum. We needs our Mums.
Aloha Denise,
I've met you and you have to had inherited your intellect from somewhere.. Now I know who :)
Thanks for sharing..
Peace, Kai xx
Your mother was such a beautiful woman. You have so much to be proud of!
You have a lovely Mum and I think this is a wonderful tribute to her .
Your mom is beautiful. Intelligence is something very valuable : ). Great entry this week!
Interesting for sure! I enjoy reading snippets about your family...
Great post, Denise. Intelligent and beautiful too.
Great quote. Perhaps genius is being able to work out what is important in the first place - it has certainly been something that I've struggled with!
Love to meet up, when will you be in the area?
An excellent tribute.
Intelligence is something I take for granted. My parents both were, my sister is and my children all are. I cannot imagine what it would be like to struggle in that way. Well, except I can I suppose - because there are many things I can't do, sing, paint, play football without tripping over the ball. However hard I worked at those things I would never do so well at them as someone who was naturally gifted.
Your mother sounds wonderful.
GREAT POST, DENISE! THANK YOU!!!!!!
Intelligence plus hard work and determination are definitely the keys to success!
Nice photo to have.
I think if you have to struggle for what you achieve you value it much more. I am sure your mum was proud of her achievements - she "pulled herself up by her own bootlaces" as we used to say - that way is much to be admired - not sure how easy it is these days though.
Another wonderful post, Denise.
I like the fact that there are different forms of intelligence: the creative, the academic, the social, etc. Certainly, intelligence does bring us choices!
Wow! This is so inspiring ! I want to write out that quote & hang it up where I can see it everyday. Thank you.
Lovely photo too btw!
my pastor has been preaching about generational blessings for the past few weeks. although I hardly know you, I am sure you must have inherited her wisdom. I salute her and her story reminds me of my own mother - hard working and making the right choice in life .Thanks for sharing and I am beginning to enjoy this ABC meme.
Greetings from the land below the wind.
What a great post--I think your point is so true. Your mum took what could have been and terrible situation and refused to let it finish her. Bravo :)
*a terrible situation, that is.
Although I believe that some people are actually cleverer than others. Sadly I am the latter, but I try and make up for it in different ways!!! lol!!
What a lovely tribute to your mom. A wonderful woman, not only intelligent but with an intellectual strength too.
Your mother must have been a remarkable woman Denise.
Post a Comment