K is for.....Kid stuff!
In my alphabet spanning my auto-biography I find myself at K....Here are some random facts about me as a kid!
1. I went to Red Cross classes for many years. Part of the class was spent on bandaging and dressing of imaginary wounds. We each took turns as the patient. On one such occasion when it was my turn I asked Mrs Longstaff the leader if I could go home sporting the black eye and bruising make up as well as the sling which was supporting my right arm. She agreed. As was the norm, after Red Cross together with my pals we would go to the chip shop. When we entered Mrs Wall asked me what on earth had happened. I told her my Auntie Dot had hit me with the yard brush! How we laughed! However a few days later Mrs Wall bumped into Auntie Dot! Hmmmm the laughter soon stopped!
2. A few years later in biology class I had to collect the bulls eyeballs for disection, from the butchers, at the same time I had to buy sausages for Auntie Dot! I deliberately switched the packages. How I howled with laughter at the thought of it all.....again the laughter didn't last long!
3. I had my tonsils removed when I was 8. The nurse was an absolute dragon....so whilst she was making my bed I picked off a candle of blood which had trickled down my nose and flicked it into her hair! The pleasure of seeing it fly through the air and land in her bun was wonderful! The joy lasted for the whole shift! I could see the offending object in her hair everytime she passed!
4. At the age of 12 I was making mum's tea. I wanted to surprise her when she came in from work. The phone rang and when I had finished I was petrified to see the kitchen was on fire. Typical common chip pan fire. Polystirene tiles were all the fashion so when the pan caught fire the flames rose to the ceiling and the tiles quickly demolished the entire roof structure. When mum arrived home she was greeted by 2 fire engines. I left home for an hour!
5. When our neighbours emigrated to South Africa they gave me their upright piano. We didn't really have the room and mum wasn't keen. Anyhow she let me keep it and I tried to teach myself. Trouble was, Uncle Moss kept cadging some wire for his car so over the years more and more keys would not play. In the end it had to go!
I hope you have enjoyed these 5 random facts about my childhood! It was a very interesting time. Looking back I honestly think I am pretty much the same now as when I was 8! LOL!
To see more contributions to ABC Wednesday click on the logo in the sidebar, or simply go here!
31.3.09
ABC Time! Are you sitting comfortable?
K is for.....Kid stuff!
In my alphabet spanning my auto-biography I find myself at K....Here are some random facts about me as a kid!
1. I went to Red Cross classes for many years. Part of the class was spent on bandaging and dressing of imaginary wounds. We each took turns as the patient. On one such occasion when it was my turn I asked Mrs Longstaff the leader if I could go home sporting the black eye and bruising make up as well as the sling which was supporting my right arm. She agreed. As was the norm, after Red Cross together with my pals we would go to the chip shop. When we entered Mrs Wall asked me what on earth had happened. I told her my Auntie Dot had hit me with the yard brush! How we laughed! However a few days later Mrs Wall bumped into Auntie Dot! Hmmmm the laughter soon stopped!
2. A few years later in biology class I had to collect the bulls eyeballs for disection, from the butchers, at the same time I had to buy sausages for Auntie Dot! I deliberately switched the packages. How I howled with laughter at the thought of it all.....again the laughter didn't last long!
3. I had my tonsils removed when I was 8. The nurse was an absolute dragon....so whilst she was making my bed I picked off a candle of blood which had trickled down my nose and flicked it into her hair! The pleasure of seeing it fly through the air and land in her bun was wonderful! The joy lasted for the whole shift! I could see the offending object in her hair everytime she passed!
4. At the age of 12 I was making mum's tea. I wanted to surprise her when she came in from work. The phone rang and when I had finished I was petrified to see the kitchen was on fire. Typical common chip pan fire. Polystirene tiles were all the fashion so when the pan caught fire the flames rose to the ceiling and the tiles quickly demolished the entire roof structure. When mum arrived home she was greeted by 2 fire engines. I left home for an hour!
5. When our neighbours emigrated to South Africa they gave me their upright piano. We didn't really have the room and mum wasn't keen. Anyhow she let me keep it and I tried to teach myself. Trouble was, Uncle Moss kept cadging some wire for his car so over the years more and more keys would not play. In the end it had to go!
I hope you have enjoyed these 5 random facts about my childhood! It was a very interesting time. Looking back I honestly think I am pretty much the same now as when I was 8! LOL!
To see more contributions to ABC Wednesday click on the logo in the sidebar, or simply go here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
32 comments:
Gods, you were a wild child!!!! LOL Loved to know your child's tricky mind in work!
Kisses.
Fascinating Kid's stuff Denise. I can see there was never a dull moment with you around. I'll bet you are supreme in the April Fools Day department.
Oh, these are wonderful! I enjoyed everything your mischievous mind led you to do. True creativity!
I really enjoyed reading this! It took me back to my own "kid stuff." I know it's evening there in England right now and it's not even noon Tuesday yet, but I must get my thinking cap on for this week's ABCW.
This is great! Fun to remember all those good, funny times! Great photo, too! Thanks for ABC Wednesday! It's one of those fun things, too!
Fun to look at your photo and remember my own childhood too. Have a fun abc:)
We have all been kids - even had some! :-)
hehehe, your poor Auntie Dot. You have a great sense of humour ;-)
How lucky you were !
Nowadays you should be filled with ritaline pills.
Cute kids on your photograff !
Thanks for sharing your memories !
I never came close to burning my hose down, but my mother did when she was young. She caught the curtains on fire with a kerosene light.
An Arkies Musings
Did your kids then give you some payback? LOL...
The joys of childhood brought vividly to light. I laughed my way through this - keep the inner child alive.
Hahaha! You were a little demon, weren't you? LOL!
I LOVE the picture - I adored those rocking horses as a child, but I've never known what they were actually called.
It certainly sounds as if you had a memorable and enjoyable childhood :)
You certainly had some fun as a kid!
Too bad about the piano's wire. Oh, well.
It's fun learning about you, Denise.
One things runs through your posts is honesty. Unflinching honesty. Very personal again and K for kind of you to let us into your life so frequently.
Aloha Denise,
You are such a silly.. I got lost looking at your family pictures, you all seem very tight knit and happy. Love the pickie of you and Mr Nesbitt..lol.
peace, Kai
Oh, I did! Enjoyed every one of them, still smiling! Fun post...
Thank you for your visit my site and taking your time for it, I appreciate it!
Your posts are just fine, I will read them again!
Have a happy day!
Thank you for your visit my site and taking your time for it, I appreciate it!
Your posts are just fine, I will read them again!
Have a happy day!
Hehe, what fun stories! You were a bit of a terror, weren't you? ;)
I love the picture. It conjurs lots of memories. thanks for visitng my site.
What a delightful post of memories and oh what a little devil you were. But what fun! The photo is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Smiles
April Fool Denise!
Well, the second part of the post is ;)
Too funny, Denise! My K is up now.
Kids get up to all sorts of tricks - and parents always say "we never did that in our day". Some of them might even be telling the truth!!!
Loved the bit about Uncle Moss swiping the piano strings! Other than that, didn't everyone have a childhood much like that? LOL!! Great post!
You sound like such a fun child! Full of delight! I loved your stories!
You were a bit of a terror, weren't you? But with a great sense of humor!
Funny post!
Post a Comment