25.9.07

Rain, rain go away!

Photo of the Day
25.09.07
View from my Study Window.





Raindrops keep fallin' on my head

And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothin' seems to fit
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

So I just did me some talkin' to the sun
And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
Sleepin' on the job
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

But there's one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me
It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me.



When I look back on the weekend I am amazed at the lovely weather we have had and how we managed to fit our jobs in so successfully.
Jon has made great progress with fitting the window and one of the doors into the shed and I managed to work on my shrubbery.
Then there was the bike ride to Scarborough!

Yesterday however saw a deluge of rain!
Monday morning , the start of the new working week saw me pegging washing out.
I always have the washer on at night, so when I get up I can peg the washing out.
I had washed a white load during the night and was all set to peg it out and load the next load, the dark coloured stuff, mostly Jon's work clothes etc.

The weather soon put a stop to that and as I resigned myself to finding places round the house to dry the clothes the rain stopped and the sun put in an outstanding appearance.
I rushed outside and pegged the white washing on the line.
The sun stayed out for just over an hour.
In the strong breeze my washing was soon dry, when lo and behold the rain returned.
I rushed outside like a woman possessed and got all the washing inside!


It always makes me laugh really, I see the washing of my neighbours billowing in the breeze then frantic door slamming as we all rush outside to rescue the washing! Then, we watch for the sunshine and rush out again to get the washing back on the line, Sometimes this happens 2 or 3 times before we give up!


I took Wilma up the lane but the rain caught us out and we returned home soaked!

Today the chimney sweep is coming to clean our chimney, so the AGA will be lit by the weekend I would have thought.

Yes, winter is creeping in!

David has set another topic for us to think about...best childhood friend?

I had a good think about this (in the bath) and my choice would have to be our neighbour John Cooper. He was my best friend from the age of 6 to 11, when his family emigrated to South Africa.
We had great adventures.
We invented our own games and exploits.
I guess it was in the days when we could allow children to "play out" in the streets and surrounding areas. Having said that we didn't go far, usually just in our back yard or the alley way.
Our favourite game was secret agents.

The programme we watched was "Man from Uncle" back in the 1960's.




We both had old transistor radio aerials which we would extend and say those immortal words from the programme "Open Cheannel D, Come in Mr. Waverley"

I had an old small brown case which I kept my secret agent tools in, infact we both had such a case come to think of it.

We would search local jumble sales for bargains.
I remember on one such visit as my mum sat with John's mum, Nancy, who I referred to as Auntie Nancy, (infact come to think of it in those days we referred to every woman as "Auntie")
and on our way out Mum shouted "Don't forget me fur coat!"
Well, we were then on a mission and sure enough I found a fur coat at the Salvation Army Jumble Sale.
I was so chuffed and ran home to show mum.
Ofcourse there had been a reason why somebody would donate a fur coat to a Jumble Sale, but mum wasn't taking any chances and it found its way to the rubbish bin...fleas and all!
We had roller skates which we used to skate up and down the local streets, again a thing of the past.
When they were packing up to go to South Africa Auntie nancy called me in.
They had an upright piano which had pride of place in the front room.
I had always liked the piano, No I couldn't play it but liked the look of it.
"Would you like the piano Denise?" she asked.
"Ooooooooooooh yes please Auntie Nancy!"

The piano was pushed next door to our house.
"What do you want that for?" Mum enquired (well more or less her exact words!)

And so, we got a piano.

My uncle Moss had an Austin 35 car.
One night he came round and asked mum if he could borrow a wire from the back of the piano.
He went away with a wire and over the next few months I noticed more and more notes on the piano would not play! I was trying to teach myself to play the piano, but my progress and development was hampered by the amount of keys which could not play. Eventually it went to the rag ad bone man! LOL!

We heard via the odd letters and Christmas Cards from Auntie Nancy and John, I often wonder what they are doing now.

I certainly remember the happy, carefree times we played together, inventing our own games and making our own toys and games.

Being an only child I guess I was quite resourceful and independant, but nevertheless looking back it was an incredible few years of adventures with John Cooper.

Thanks David...a good topic!






16 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Hi Denise,

I love the post - but I'm intrigued as towhy he would need a wire from the piano!!

Maybe there was a note of discord!

Re: washing on the line, you should try living in Melbourne. Getting the timing right with the weather is an artform.

I can just picture you as a childhood spy!

Keep smiling

David

mrsnesbitt said...

David....asking ME why a wire from the back of a piano for an Austin A35?

Hey...I am a blonde!
One day I may even share with you in complete secrecy the fact that I do not know what an i-pod is or how it works and the other secret (note I am in spy mode here) is I do not have an MP3 player as I dont know how the thing works! But don't tell anybody....it's a secret!

Dx

Miss Robyn said...

is it still raining? seems it is raining alot there this year. I hope it stays fine when I eventually get there in 2009!

mrsnesbitt said...

Robyn, yes absolutley throwing it down here!

CG said...

We had one of those days yesterday and another today by the looks of things! I remember the "Man from UNCLE" and I still have my yellow card that says I am an agent in the Communications section! Lovely post full of happy memories :)

Libbys Blog said...

Ha, ha, I don't have an MP3 or I-pod either. Who needs one when you have a radio!!!

dot said...

Wonderful story about your childhood friend!

mrsnesbitt said...

cg,
The weather is the same today! I did manage to take Wilma out but the washing situation remains the same!

Libby,
Great to know I am not alone! LOL!

Dot,
Thanks.
My family are a family who do embellish tales through hardship. As a child my mum and her family all recounted stories from the war. They always had a humourous twist. During an air-raid, Nana had carried Uncle Bob into the shelter. On entering the shelter he bumped his head on the doorpost. The family thought this was hilarious. They didn't focus on the bombers flying over ahead and bombing the steel factories, they were laughing at Uncle Bob and the huge lump appearing on his head, whilst he continued sleeping!

Sheila said...

Great tales of your childhood Denise . I think most of us played similar games in those days. (Well, around then, I know I'm older than you!)
We had a club house. It was actually as clearing in the middle of a gigantic bramble hedge. So dense that once inside we couldn't see any one outside. Of course we could be heard, and often wondered how our parents knew what we were planning when we were in 'hiding'..LOL

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh Sheila, yes i remember playing in a den too! It was where somebody gave me a cigarette! trouble was I lit the wrong end and the cigarette caught fire.....never smoked in my life after that! LOL!

RUTH said...

A fabulous post MrsN...I enjoyed reading about your friend...I remember the Man from Uncle well :o) I never really had any long term childhood friends...we were always moving about and lost touch. I did look at Friends Reunited at one of my schools in England. I did recognise a few names but they are all so successful with fabulous jobs!
We had beautiful hot sunny weather this morning...now it's pouring with rain and HAILING...great chunks of ice....brrrrrr
Rx

mrsnesbitt said...

Ruth the sun has come here now! Glorious infact! NOW MY WASHING HAS BEEN DRYING THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE....YES WOULD HAVE BEEN LOVELY ON THE LINE!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

LOL!

Got your J sorted for tomorrow?

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Fun memories. LOL! about the note of dicord. The Austin A35 most likely needed some fine tuning. So it would Zingggg once again. I am a blonde and laugh at dumb blonde jokes too. I am machanically inclined though. I went through test to find that out. All my 6 brother's are too. I think they could fix something with just a piece of chewing gum, if they had to. I had taken one of my old cars in the past to a Auto place in the past and they wanted $900.00 and didn't know if it would cost more because they said they knew somehting else was wrong with it. Will I took it to one of my brother's and he told me to put something in the gas tank and it clean part of the problem up. The $900.00 part of it. It only cost me a few dollars. He also found that I had a hole in a air tube. Just gooped on some stuff and it fixed it. Tuned it up and didn't cost me all that money the shop was going to charge. As for you wash you might think about having a cover built over the clothes line. I have some instructions somewhere on how to do it. I read in the wintertime people would put salt in the rinse water to keep the clothes from freezing stiff when they hung them out to dry outside. We have a clothes rack for the inside of the house to when we don't use the dryer. I think they have inside clothes lines that retrac's inside itself when your finished using them. I seen them in a catolog b/4. Love the song. Made me think of another. Singing in the Rain! Did you see that I wrote Wilma a Lullabye? As for the MP3 & the ipod, will, I won't go there, except to say, there is a bit of DB in me.LOL! Have a Blessed Week!

mrsnesbitt said...

Hey Flassie, I like the idea of a cover for the washing line. Will have to think this one out! Mind you hubby is a good inventor so will have to put him on the case.

Yes, I did see your comment to Wilma! I do think you have a soft spot for her...will have to have a word with her to see if she will pick out a special photo for you!

Thanks again.
Dxx

KaiBlue said...

Aloha Honeybunch..
Loving this post!! I remember the man from uncle, Napoleon Solo..oh fun memories..Secret codes, hideouts, dens in old closets..
You have all the childhood intregue of Mission impossible 4!!! lol..

((hugs)) and see you tomorrow..It's a J day yah?
PEace, Kai xx

mrsnesbitt said...

Kai, yes J day tomorrow...........

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo only 5 minutes away!


Will begin now!


Dxxxxx