How to participate in ABC Wednesday.
1. Post your U picture on your blog.
2. Come to my blog and sign in on Mr. Linky
3. Enjoy the beautiful U pictures of the other bloggers.
Please do not sign your name on Mr. Linky unless you have a U picture posted on your blog
Please leave a comment here and a link back to this blog.
U is for......Unpacked!

Holidays
by
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The holiest of all holidays are those
Kept by ourselves in silence and apart;
The secret anniversaries of the heart,
When the full river of feeling overflows;--
The happy days unclouded to their close;
The sudden joys that out of darkness start
As flames from ashes; swift desires that dart
Like swallows singing down each wind that blows!
White as the gleam of a receding sail,
White as a cloud that floats and fades in air,
White as the whitest lily on a stream,
These tender memories are;--a fairy tale
Of some enchanted land we know not where,
But lovely as a landscape in a dream.
We are quite restricted with what we can pack when we tour on the motorbike as our luggage consists of a bag each, which is strapped over the seat (panniers) and a bag which sits on the tank, thanks to magnetic straps, (tankbag.)by
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The holiest of all holidays are those
Kept by ourselves in silence and apart;
The secret anniversaries of the heart,
When the full river of feeling overflows;--
The happy days unclouded to their close;
The sudden joys that out of darkness start
As flames from ashes; swift desires that dart
Like swallows singing down each wind that blows!
White as the gleam of a receding sail,
White as a cloud that floats and fades in air,
White as the whitest lily on a stream,
These tender memories are;--a fairy tale
Of some enchanted land we know not where,
But lovely as a landscape in a dream.

Here you can see Jon making sure the panniers are secured, ready for our journey over to Heysham Port. We once forgot to cover the panniers with the waterproof covers and discovered all of our clothes were soaking wet when we arrived in France, so now we always check!
The week prior to our holiday had seen clear skies and favourable conditions, but last Sunday we awoke to heavy rain and a pea souper of a fog. We travelled over to Heysham is these dreadful conditions wearing our leathers, waterproof trousers and winter jackets. However, as always when Jon and I go away we were blessed with glorious weather for the entire week we were on the Isle of Man.
I laughed when I read David's Weekend Wandering,
driving over to Heysham in the torrential rain we didn't complain once! LOL! We just kept our heads down, acknowledging the many other bikers making the same journey in the same awful conditions.
We had often talked about going to the TT Races and the decision was made just over a year ago.
To say we had a wonderful time is an understatement.
We enjoyed the racing,the buzz and excitement, (see previous post for some of my photographs.) Away from the track we spent many afternoon's exploring the many roads and routes of the island.
We were staying in a part of Douglas called Onchan, but during our stay we visited Port Erin which stole my heart....
We parked the bike on the promenade and I noticed a large group of bikes outside a particular hotel....a good sign!
I chatted to the bikers who said they come back to the same hotel each TT........
so we have booked for TT week next year!
The ferry too is booked.
Slightly later next year, 7th - 14th June.
Over the next few weeks I will be sharing some of the lovely times we spent on the island, using opportunities to link to our wonderful stay......
you have been warned!
So pleased the link worked last week and we were all able to share our T pictures.
OK, timing was slightly out, but at least it was there for everybody!
I'll get there one day!
One of our regular contributors, JoAnn is having some time off, following an operation in hospital.
Here's sending her our best wishes, hope to see you back soon JoAnn.
Have a great ABC Wednesday, it is great to be back!
Dx
83 comments:
Nice to have you back again! unpacked is a good U post!
Hi. Nice U-choice! Have a nice ABC-day.
Unpacking is the bore of all travelling. You are lucky to have all on one bike - with a car the only limit is the size of the car...
Oh, and mine will (hopefully) be up at 00.01 CET. That is when it is Wednesday here.
Have an unforgetful, useful, utterly happy U-day! I am glad you had a nice TT week with the exception of that single rainy day!
We had the same weather like you had!
We are early, but why not when it is ready and will take som time to scroll through and read all comments.
Unpacked or uncovered I think we made good choices
Such an appropriate letter for you this week! So glad you had a wonderful time and not much to unpack!
I would never manage with such a small bag ;-)
"U" is on - will be there in the morning!
And yours truly is fitting!
Cheers, Klaus
"Louis la Vache" checking in here! "Louis's" San Francisco Bay Daily Photo "U" post will be up at 00:01 Paris time. Come on by and check it out! "Louis" will visit as many of you as possible!
Welcome back and what a clever U for you...
I found U to be a bit boring for myself but I'm looking forward to seeing what others came up with. Have fun...
Welcome home, Denise. As a former biker, I know all about the vagaries of weather!
Hope JoAnn is better .....
Welcome back! Glad you had such a good time. Looking forward to seeing the photos of IOM. I have never been there. I have driven over the Penines going east in that awful rain. It's like soup -- and then there's the big truckers barreling along beside you -- or in front. Yuk!
I do like your Longfellow poem and identify with it too.
Very nice U. I thougt of the same U, but I chanched it in the last minute;)
Unpacked is good.
I like the poem.
U is Under scrutiny.
Come visit,
Troy and Martha
Unpackin is not fun, bur you have to do it. Have a nice ABC Wednesday
Unpacked is a great choice.
Welcome back and have a nice ABC wednesday.
I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about your trip and look forward to seeing more photos later on. Good choice for the letter "U" as it is always good to be home, no matter how much fun you have whilst away. :D
So you're going back next year! Well well. That meeting is addictive you know! I'm glad you had such a good time.
I've posted early to (though it feels rather late to me right now!) and my U is here.
I went on and put it up early. Too excited not too.
Well, you caught me busy packing. It's a lot easier than your motorcycle I'm sure. We will fly to WA since the price of gasoline discourages long trips.
Have a good weekend!
Unpacking is less stressful than packing. Glad U are home safe and happy.
My Jerusalem Hills "U"s await visitors. Shalom to all.
I definitely have motorcycle envy. You are so, so, so lucky!
I love the poem to June. Now if only we would get some sunshine here in Vancouver.
*sigh*
I'm off to bed. Got to email you. A you can see I had lost my bounce but up again. Mine's u for up.
Big hug back. So glad you had a fab time. It is the best.
hello, I was wondering why you blog updates less frequent this week. Good post and I'm going over to JoAnn. :)
I'm so happy for y'all that your trip went so well. It's great, too, that you're all set for next year!
Unpacked is an unbelievably clever U!
Welcome back. I am not a fan of unpacking from a trip.
Saw a bit of the TT's on TV and thought of you! I said to K, "Hey! That's where Mrs Nesbitt's gone, and where Shrinky lives!"
Appreciated the Longfellow. Very nice.
MIne's up. HAHHAHAHAA- I Cheated!!! "U" is for "UPDATE" LOL!!! Want to know how those ducklings are getting on, anyone???
:^)
How nice you are home! Can't wait to see your pictures! Good "U"s!
Good choice after a vacation! Come and see mine -- very appropriate for us this time of year.
Unpacking is never fun - means the vacation is over!
So I learned a new word - panniers - I don't think we call them that over here.
What is going on with Mr. Linky? I signed on and was # 39. I visit one blog and come back and my name is gone and another person's is there under "my" number. It happened last week too. sigh
I'm back! Still haven't unpacked from my March trip....that really isn't good! I love this ABC thing! Thank you, Mrs. Nesbitt!
I know I am really late (almost a week), but come see my T is for Texada Island post. - Margy
U find a good U post.
U is a difficult letter for French speaking people as we pronounce it differently.
Anyway it's a fine letter, don't u think so ?
Welcome home Denise. Unpacking is never fun but a great word for ABC Wednesday.
Mine is up now, a bit early but I won't be home till late Wednesday afternoon.
Hello Mrs N. I'm not too good at the moment and so haven't had time to photograph (or find) the Unicorn I was going to snap for my 'U' post - so I haven't linked to Mr Linky but thought I'd leave a comment instead. Sorry about that - but prepare yourself for a victorious 'V' next week!! (I hope!)
Gary
Glad you had a great trip. My wife and I could never travel by bike; we always try to take everything along except the kitchen sink.
Hi--came back here for the U posting.
I hate unpacking--the worst part of travelling in my opinion.
I agree with Cherrypie!
Beautiful poem about travel...and life!
Mine is up, of course /photograff
Miss Yves
I decided to select lake, which name happens to starts with U.
I am trying to show little bit more imagination next week.
You must be a champion packer, Mrs N. Please let me know when you run a course on Minimal packing for holidays!
U as microlight air craft (or Ultra léger motorisé i.e. ULM in French).
I bet last week was just the best!
My post's been up since the witching hour last night, but I thought I'd also let you know that ABC Wednesday and my U post are also launching my new blog!
http://boxofdelight.blogspot.com/
I've never been good at packing lightly - always take far too much stuff especially when as another commentator said - just chuck it all in the boot of the car.
Great U post and I've just added my four very different Us to mr linky.
You now understand the draw the Island has for so many - I wish you many happy visits.
None-riders cannot comprehend.
How to say U in French on
http://troyes-en-champagne.com
Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip in coming weeks. Once again, Happy anni, Mrs. N., to you both!
Glad you had a gr8 time at the TT and have returned safe and sound
Denise - just come back to let you know that I'm on hols next week, but my V post is all ready to go up as usual! I just won't be able to come in here and sign up to Mr Linky. Hope you have a good week!
I am glad you had such a wonderful time. I can empathise with you about packing light; we toured France last year on bicycles.
Welcome home! Glad you had a fun and safe adventure
"U" is for unusual use
thanks for the ABC
Sounds like you had a grand time - will check back in for your pics - welcome home!
My second week on ABC Wednesdays, and am tossing my U into the ring... --Not an easy letter, U, but I did my best...
http://aphotoaday.blogspot.com
Sounds like you had a great trip on the bike.
Welcome back... hope yoU had a nice holiday
Come see my illustration of the letter U
:-Daryl
Great u post and poem. Glad you're back!
So glad you had a great time. Saw a quick glimpse of a race shown on the news here in the US. Very rare occurance. Thought of you!
Clever 'U' post. The story continues through your photos.
I stopped by last night--don't know why I didn't comment then. Glad you had such a good time despite the weather. Welcome home.
"Louis" thanks you for visiting San Francisco Bay Daily Photo and checking out his "U" post!
Welcome Home!
Hi Mrs. Nesbit
Mine is up!
Don't remind me about the unpacking, (We take the kitchen sink, unlike yourselves!) it's the endless washing and ironing afterwards! I really need another holiday to recover!
I am leaving on a trip this week myself. I am in the pack rather than unpack mode. I have to pack for my 4 kids. Which always adds things like, "leapster" "fruitsnacks" "babytoys". I'm glad you had a good time! Welcome home!
Good choice. "U" was a hard one. I remember the first round I did umbrella. Take a look at what I did for round 2.
Andrea
I would love to participate in ABC Wednesday but I am not a photographer. I would feel somewhat inferior lodged between all the talented people already on your list lol!
But seriously, I love the idea of ABC Wednesday!
Happy U Day, I love your blog!
Ciao
http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogspot.com
Why didn't I think of that one. With all of the boxes piled around our new house it should have been the first thing that came to my mind, but it wasn't. Great idea and nice post :)
And it is great to have you back. Wonderful U.
I incorporated the tale of the last few days with mine - cheating a bit I guess but I am a little stressed at keeping up at the moment and wanted to reduce those stress levels! Hope it's ok.
I'm late with this one though it is still Wednesday. Thanks for hosting.
Both the above poem and Longfellow's poem are lovely.
You are very brave to pack that tiny bag for a trip. I really don't think I could do that - know I'd forget something.
I've loved to U posts this week. Some are very clever!
Thanks for starting this, Mrs. Nesbitt.
Hello Mrs. Nesbitt mine is here http://zetor-mogsblog.blogspot.com/ hope it doesn't put anyone off their tea!
What a fun idea! You're a creative one!
Beautiful poem, thanks!
My u post is not a photo this time, hope that's ok.
When I saw your word "Unpacked", I had to laugh because I am still not unpacked completely. LOL Thanks for the laugh.
Sounds like you had a great time. That was a clever U picture.
While unpacking is necessary, I am sure packing and starting out on an adventure is much more fun. I have enjoyed reading about your bike rides. My post was for Use and Re-use. I invite you to come see what it's all about. - Margy
mrsnesbitt, thanks! It's nice that you are coming to the Netherlands. Assen is not near my place, I live near Rotterdam and Gouda. I have no car, only a bicycle.If I go to Rotterdam I have to go by public transport! When are you coming? And how?
It is nice to meet you, lovely blog. I have seen the ABC wednesdays out there, and now, I know where to go! Thank you for your comment on my blog. I will be back.
Hi mrsnesbitt! IJmuiden is too far from where I live, otherwise you could meet me here. That would have been nice! You don't go to Rotterdam, do you?
Welcome back, Mrs Nesbitt! It's good to know you had fun and had your adventure with your hubby! And if we let bad weather control our mood we would be doomed... It's great that you have this sense! Unpacking mut have been easy, with a few articles to reorganize... A warm hug and back to life!
Kisses from Nydia.
PS: Lovely poem... I wold only change the month to November, here in Brazil! :)
Nice to meet you. Sounds like your trip was fun one. No rain while touring on a bike is always a plus.
Hi Mrs Nesbitt!
I had a friend in college named Bobbete Nesbitt, any relation?
Had to ask..
Nice blog you have started here, Thanks.. Jerez
Post a Comment